Quality of Life in Charlotte>Question Details

Vinny, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

We are planning to move to Charlotte, NC in this summer. Request any suggestions on good school districts ( mid/high schools) & for families.

Asked by Vinny, Charlotte, NC Fri Feb 1, 2013

Thanks. 1. Good neighborhood
2. single family homes
3. access to transit and shopping

Answers

9
Good afternoon, Vinny
Below is a link to a Trulia blog "Which areas surrounding Charlotte would be a nice place to relocate?" that has some good schools info. There are a good number of shopping areas throughout the Charlotte area, but because our area is spread out and parking rates are reasonable, transit is not usually superior to a car. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Thanks to everyone who has responded to our request. Really appreciate your time. It will take us some time to digest this information and will post my updates as we progress in our search.
Hi Vinnyo

Realtors cannot discriminate against school districcts and offer opinions on same.

The internet has valuable information regarding schools and school districts. For example, you an search for Mecklenburg , Iredell, Lincoln, Union, York etc as school districts and check out their scores which should help you in your buying decision.

I work in all of these regions and would be happy to assist you as I relocated from NY 16 years ago, and know how difficult it is to make decisions when you are relying on a strangers help.

Jo Zarnoch
http://www.livinglakenorman.com
Hi Vinny - Unfortunately, Realtors hands are really tied by Federal Fair Housing Laws as what we can and cannot say about quaity of life issues and especially school performance. Charlotte has many, many wonderful single famineighborhoods and great schools. The closer in you get to Uptown Charlotte, generally, the higher the cost of housing. I'm sure you have heard the saying "location, location". Charlotte has some VERY pricey neighborhoods, but also many that are affordable.

The best site to check into the school are http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/. This site contains factual data on class size, performance & other demographics. When looking at school performance on line, be VERY careful to understand that you are not always comparing apples to apples. Some schools have higher proverty levels than others, or may have classes for disabled children that can skew a school's overall performance. The next time you come to town, go by schools that are in areas in which you think you might like and VISIT the schools to see for yourself if the school is a good fir for your child. No one here can tell you what schools are going to be best for your children - only you should make that decision! Check out Charlotte's magnet schools as well - for example, if your child is interested in art or dance, an arts magnet may be just the ticket!

Transit is an interesting concept here in Charlotte. We do not have a subway system, but do have an extensive bus system, as well as a southside light rail. The airport is on the west side of town. If you are interested in living cose to transit, you do not want to vebture out of Mecklenburg County, as the more rural counties, such as Union, have no mass transit and commutes into Charlotte can be long (the gas you might spend in a year will negate any property tax savings over living in Mecjklenburg. Shopping is pretty much close by no matter where you live in Charlotte! Charlotteans love to shop!

We also have many, many neighborhood "pocket" parks, as well as larger regional parks offering many recreational opporunities.

Best of luck with your move - you and your family will love it here! Kathleen
If you want low property taxes, yet convenience to shopping, and quality schools, you will want to consider going over into Union County, near south Charlotte and Matthews. It has been one of the fastest growing counties in America in recent years. Also, consider me as your exclusive buyers agent.
You would benefit from my 4 decades of experience. 704-904-0148 ,erberrey@gmail.com
Roger Berrey, wilkinson & Associates, ERA.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/charlotte/schools/

Hello Vinny,

I appears your most important concern would be the school district, so therefore I have provided you a link with lots of helpful information. Once you have determined which schools seem to be a match, we can determine the neighborhoods, housing etc..

If you would like to see a video with more information about Charlotte and information providing over 100 things to do in Charlotte, please go to http://www.charlottehousingnews.com Additionally on this site, you can search for homes and hit the "About" button to learn more about me.

Feel free to contact me for additional questions or information.
Welcome to Charlotte Vinny!

There are many great neighborhoods to choose from in Charlotte. You didn't mention your price point and that will point you to different neighborhoods. We have great neighborhoods in all price points.

To help you locate schools that might fit your needs, check out http://www.greatschools.org You'll find a lot of information here on Charlotte schools. South Charlotte Middle School is ranked a 10, Alexander Graham Middle School an 8, Piedmont Middle School a 10, Jay M Robinson Middle School a 10, Providence High School a 9, Ardrey Kell a 10, Northwest School of the Arts 8, South Mecklenburg High School 6, Myers Park High School a 5.

If you don't have a buyers agent working with you yet, I'd love to help you find what you're looking for here in Charlotte. I grew up here and I know the city well!

Best of luck in your search.

Tracy Clay
Broker/Realtor®
Willinson and Associates
tracyclayhomes@gmail.com
704-968-0579
Hey Vinny,

There are a lot of options that would meet your criteria, the best location for you will likely come down to price and commute. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to discuss your options. If you can tell me a little more about yourself and what you and your family like to do I am sure I can point you in the right direction. Feel free to call anytime, 704-619-3971.

Cheers,

Michael Laine
Prudential Carolinas Realty
Good afternoon, Vinny!

Congrats on your decision to make Charlotte your new home! I can certainly make some suggestions based on what you have provided but purchase price and style/type of home and the location on your emaployer will most certainly help.

Marvin and Weddington in Union County are known for great schools, larger estate styled home sites and lower taxes. Marvin is very close to shopping (Blakeney and Stonecrest in S. Charlotte). You will find larger newer homes and great community amenities.

In Ballantyne (S. Charlotte) I have alot of Clients looking at the Ardrey School District. Newer homes, close to shopping with Stonecrest and Blakeney. You will have access to highways for a commute.

Also, the Myers Park School district is also very desirable. Location is agrueably A+ but with that comes price. Alot of older homes that have been updated. Expect to get less space for your money.

I would love to learn more so that I can provide more specific, not general information. Job location, lifestyle, style of home, price and where you are coming from all play into things. We have alot of really great areas. A good tour of Charlotte and a sampling of what you can get for your money would be a great first step.

My Company has a great Relo package and I would love to get that in your hands!

Please let me know how I can help!

Best of luck!
Debbie

Debra M Buck
HM Properties
704.421.2107
Debra@hmproperties.com
Web Reference: http://Www.hmproperties.com