Quality of Life in 10028>Question Details

Dad, Home Buyer in New York, NY

We are out-of-towners interested in buying an apartment at Gracie Gardens. However the Marine Transfer Unit scared us off. Were we foolish?

Asked by Dad, New York, NY Sat Feb 15, 2014

Answers

8
Hello-

My buyers were also very concerned about 91st Street Marine Transfer Station. It is a legitimate concern and if this station does open, there will be many garbage trucks in the area every day and a lot of garbage will be handled at this location. I think some organizations are still fighting to stop this project from opening so we have to wait and see what happens. I don't think you were foolish at all :)

Krystyna Rachtan, Licensed Real Estate Broker
Phone (212) 991-8072 Email: kr@nyhome.com
NEW YORK HOME REAL ESTATE SERVICES, INC.
295 Madison Avenue, 12fl, New York, NY 10017
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 19, 2014
I live in the neighborhood, and also have a new listing coming up in Gracie Gardens. The Marine Transfer Station has been a concern for this neighborhood for years now, and there is still hope that it may not end up being implemented. However, I also believe that prices in the area have been lowered compared to the actual value of the apartments because of the fear of the MTS, combined with the Second Avenue Construction project. I believe that the fear of the unknown in terms of the MTS is worse than the reality of it, even if it begins operation. So my personal opinion is that there is great value in this area right now.
Please contact me for assistance. My name is Erika and I can be reached at 917-335-8569. Thank you and good luck.
Of course you would be concerned, I would be too and the issue will be ongoing until it's settled. Health is the most prominent issue, followed by quality of life, noise, traffic etc - you would be living nearby the facility and other factors. Gracie Gardens is an attractive complex of apartments and I am certain the residents and the neighborhood will fight this tooth and nail to ultimately defeat this ill-proposed facility.

Your home is also perhaps your greatest monetary asset that could be affected in value by this known refuge transfer station or any facility deemed detrimental nearby. I suggest if you feel uncomfortable with the potential of this facility being built, move on there are other places to live. Contact me to see plenty of other attractive properties out of the immediate area.
I would be concerned about being so close to a transfer station as well. However, with ongoing debates, there is no guarantee whether or not the construction of the transfer station will actually be implemented. I would advise that you do as much research as possible into this ongoing debate. If you feel that the project is likely to be halted, I would go through with the purchase. Of course, your purchase price should be discounted to reflect the risk that you are taking on.

The most recent study conducted for this debate shows that the transfer station would not actually accomplish it's intended purpose.
Are you talking about the Department of Sanitation's desire to resurrect the current marine transfer station at 91st as a waste management facility? If so, that's a worthwhile concern, but it needs to be weighed against many positives. You will get the best price per sqft in Manhattan in this area, and prices will likely go up considerably when the 2nd avenue line goes into effect. So, in answer, your concern is not "foolish," but I wouldn't rule out the area all together.
Foolish? That's a personal question. What is the exact question you are asking? If you can be a bit more specific/in depth we can be able to answer your question better. However it is whatever you feel comfortable/ can live with. If you are waiting for prices to go up you would have to research comparables. We can give you lots of answers now however it is a bit like a stab in the dark without the question being more clear.
Chuckle, some people don't like living close to grave yards, it's what you are comfortable with