Quality of Life in Boston>Question Details

Matthew, Both Buyer and Seller in Houston, TX

We are moving from Houston, TX to work in Boston, MA. Any suggestions on a good place to raise a family and?

Asked by Matthew, Houston, TX Fri Dec 14, 2007

buy a house? We do not know what to expect when moving to a market with considerably higher home prices? What do most young families do? We live in a three thousand square foot house now, but don't see that happening in Boston. Any good suburbs with good pricing?

Answers

15
Do yourself a favor, stay in Houston. Boston is overhyped and overpriced. It's a terrible place to raise a family, racist and inclusive. All those cultural, sports and entertainment events you'll never see because you won't be able to afford it, plus the parking. You will have to put your kids in private schools, that's $30,000 a year in tuition on top of the $3000 a month housing payment you will fork over for half the space you have now. Unless someone is offering you $1 million a year in salary, STAY AWAY FROM HERE. YOU WILL HATE IT.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 14, 2008
For the price of a 3,000 sq. ft. home in Boston, you'll be lucky to find one that's "newer". You'll learn that most of the homes here in 'Boston (or near) are older. However, there are a few areas such as Saugus, Brockton, Quincy, Beverly, Melrose, Burlington to name a few (which is approximately 15 to 30 minutes away from Boston) that is a nice area to raise a family. Also, you'll have a better chance in finding a home that will probably suite your price range. For the most part, my wife and I just moved up here about a year ago, and we love it here (minus the WINTER)....you've been warned!!! lol. Boston also has THE BEST Fireworks show for our Independence Day, in my honest opinion. Better than D.C. (we're from Virginia). Lots to do around here and plenty of shops and restaurants. Parking is very difficult to find at times and expensive parking garages, unless you get lucky and find a 2 hour meter.

If you need a hard-working realtor who's good at what he does, google Michael Gurevich with ExitRealty.com.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Jason
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 11, 2009
I'm a real estate professional in the Boston Area. You can find great family communities, good schools, and affordable prices South of Boston. Its an easy commute into Boston, via public transportation, or x-way. The further south of Boston you go, the more square footage for your money. Meaning you may have a 45 min. or so, commute into Boston. Please visit websight below.
Web Reference: http://newenglandmoves.com
Check out the North Shore of Boston, easy transportation, and reasonable prices compared to the city.. school systems are fine as a public school, you save on the private school too. Lynnfield, Ipswich, Manchester, Beverly, Middleton, Topsfield..Andover, Danvers Salem...close to beach, lots of land, bteer quality of life...
Mathew, I moved from Houston to Boston years ago. The cost of living is, definetly, higher here and so is the desire of many to live here. Part of my family is in Houston, part in Boston. I know both markets pretty well and can assist you with suggestions and transition if you still need it. Click on my website to connect.
Web Reference: http://www.boc-re.com
Hi Mathew,

Have you made a decision? I am curious to hear where you decided to move.

Tim
Web Reference: http://www.uterms.com
I would consider some of the towns in "Metrowest" Boston. Many of them are safe, clean, family-oriented and, in many cases, more reasonable. Many of them also have very good public schools, so you won't have to shell out money for private school. Some in particular to consider are Natick, Ashland, Sherborn, and Hopkinton.
Hi There,
I live and work in the Merrimack Valley and North Shore area, and I think you would find it perfect. The area offers an easy commute, as it is surrounded by 3 major Boston commuter routes, and just about every town has a commuter rail station. It's a lovely area with quintessential and SAFE New England neighborhoods. It's a quick drive to the beaches, to Boston, and to skiing, and best of all it's AFFORDABLE!

I publish a Homes & Land Magazine for that area, we have a few thousand listings on our web site that you may want to check out. http://www.HomesAndLandMA.com. Or I would be happy to mail you a copy of the next issue, just let me know! Best of luck with your search.

Cary Bowman
Publisher
Homes & Land Magazine
Hi Matthew!

As a matter of fact, I just helped a wonderful professional couple from Texas find a beautiful home in Northbridge, MA. They too left a 3000 square foot home in Texas and were hit with severe sticker shock when they arrived in MA. Initially, I spent time with this family identifying their needs and then we took time to investigate and visit all of the towns that I felt met their criteria. It took some time, but they are ecstatic with their new home/neighborhood/town!

With a little patience and perseverence, they were able to find everything they were hoping for. You will too!

I'd love to help you out too! Please feel free to give me a call or email me (508.561.7164 or jboyle@comvestresidential.com) to discuss your goals.

Best wishes. Massachusetts is a wonderful place to be!

Judy
Good afternoon Matthew and welcome to Boston!
As other realtors mentioned before, more information about your needs and your means will be helpful. I have been helping countless families relocating for work in the Boston area and it is often a reality check!
But this experience of finding a new home in a new area can be very exciting and rewarding also.
Boston has so much to offer!
If you would like to be helped by someone tuned in "relocation" needs, do not hesitate to contact me.
617-477-5079
Good luck no matter what!
Veronique
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2007
Hi Matthew,
How exciting for you and your family. As you've seen, the real estate sticker shock is tough to take. And wait till you want to take the family to a Red Sox game! What you will be giving up to cost of living will be more than made up by the experience and quality of life here. The change of seasons, history and culture, and mountains and ocean within a 2 hour drive of most anywhere, make this a great place to live. And all those benefits contribute to our high housing costs.

But it's a great time to move here with prices where they are. I would suggest starting by looking at the commute to your new work location. If public transportation will work for you, focus on that. While you'll always have to "drive till you can afford what you want," you will find that different parts of Boston are more convenient to reach from different directions. This all assumes you'll be working downtown. If so, figure if your office is closer to North or South Stations. North Station is serviced by suburbs to the West and North while South Station receives trains from the South.

I'm partial to the shorefront towns and help buyers all over the South Shore. You'll find around 3,000 sq ft homes in Plymouth (America's Home Town) starting in the mid 400s. There is train service to Boston from Plymouth. You probably don't want to go any farther south...you'll be on Cape Cod. If you move closer toward Boston and inland to Hanover, Pembroke, Kingston you'll find around 3K sq ft fom the mid 500s to mid 600s. Marshfield and Scituate you'll start at around $600, Hingham-high 600s. Marshfield, Scituate and Hingham all enjoy new commuter rail service and prices are on the increase. If the South Shore looks like an area you'd like to investigate, it's where I work and I'd be happy to help.

Chris
Good evening Matthew:

I highly recommend Easton, MA. . Prices have come down more than surrounding Towns, the schools and facilities are wonderful, the Town is steeped in History, easy commuter rail service from surrounding Towns to Boston , and it is a wonderful place to raise a family. Voted the 42nd best place to live in the Country by Money Magazine.

Rob
Web Reference: http://RobertDGoodwin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
All the suburbs around Boston are nice. I will try to give you an example for 3000 sq. feet , in some of the areas I work in.
For instance in Acton, Westford and Stow which have excellent schools and are very quiet and rural,3000 plus sq feet home would be starting at $600,000 and it goes up from there.
Close to these towns you have Chelmsford and Littleton with little under $600,000 for the same square footage, also excellent schools.
There is Concord with a small downtown area and many small businesses, quite charming and a nice place to live, also excellent schools, starting at 700,000.
Commute to Boston is between 30 and 45 minutes depending on traffic.
Closer to Boston there are nice places too but I do not work there so I will leave that for another agent.
Also you can check this site out http://www.zipskinny.com/
For listings and pictures of homes I do suggest to start with http://www.realtor.com/Default.aspx
Good luck and hope that you will like it here in New England
Irena
Hi Matthew,

Welcome to Boston! It is a great place to live.
Will you be sending your children to public schools? Or are they going to private schools.
I love the area that I live in, Jamaica Plain. Roslindale and West Roxbury are communities with single families (not all condominiums).

Are you commuting to down town Boston? The hospitals...?
Let me know, I would be happy to give you more info when I know more specifics.

Karen McCormack - 617-306-7804 - http://www.KPsells.com
Web Reference: http://www.KPsells.com
Hey Mathew. Wow big move! Difficult question to answer as well. I wish you could be a little more specific with your question as I do not know how much you want to spend and I do not know how far you are willing to travel to and from work. There are some wonderful Boston suburbs as you probably know. For instance, Milton, MA was recently ranked the 7th best place to live in the country based on many different variables. It is very convenient to Boston and, for the most part, has very good schools. A bit pricey? Yes but not as expensive as some.

Please let us know some more details about your situation. The more we know the better we are able to give you real quality "free" advice.

Thank you!
Keith
http://www.ReNewsYouCanUse.com