Quality of Life in Dallas>Question Details

Diane Kampf, Home Buyer in Bay Shore, NY

We are considering moving to a Dallas area suburb from Long Island, NY.

Asked by Diane Kampf, Bay Shore, NY Thu Apr 18, 2013

We want a better quality of life for our kids (ages 2 and 3) and to be near family in Flower Mound. We also want our cost of living to be cheaper. Any ideas or advice?

Answers

15
We are moving from New York to Northern Dallas suburbs but our kids are 14, 12 and 8 year old twins. All of the kids are very sports oriented and hate us for this necessary move. Is Allen too big? Frisco too many new schools? and Plano West too cliquey? Help!!
Iyn, I'd be happy to assist you, give me a call at 469-371-2899 to discuss. I'm a realtor specializing in Northern Dallas area and I live in Allen.

Susie Kay
Seniors Real Estate Specialist
Certified Home Stager

United Real Estate Dallas
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
Flag Tue Jan 19, 2016
You will be like "kids in a candy store"
Hi Diane,

It looks like you have already received a lot of really helpful information. Coming from NY, almost any neighborhood you choose will provide a lower cost of living. Many of the Dallas suburbs are great for small children.. newly built communities typically have tons of extra amenities like parks and playgrounds to keep families active. If you haven't found a Realtor to work with yet, I'd be happy to walk you thru the process. Either way, good luck with your move!

Monica Pineda - REALTOR®
VIP Realty | Real Estate Consultants
The Premier Firm in Real Estate
Direct: (469) 348-4113
Pick any 1 Realtor and work with them only on advise and finding a home.
Hello Diane,

I was born and raised in So. Calif. and my family and I recently relocated to the Lone Star State. My reasons were simple, the Governor of CA is driving businesses and many of it's residents either broke from ungodly taxes or simply not handling the state budget correctly. In any event, my Wife and I did a road trip in January of 2013 and I spend 10 days here to check out different cities. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area has dozens of really nice communities all within a 30 minute drive. The real decision is what can you afford? Although here in Texas there is no state income tax, the property taxes relatively speaking are pretty high and they are calculatedly differently than most states. Here they are NOT based on what you pay for the property, but they are pre-determined by the powers that be. This can make a huge difference in your payment and your closing costs. If you are not in a hurry to buy, you might consider renting first which will give you time to see what areas best suit your family needs. I would suggest you look at a map and then either mapquest or google map the driving time from your job to the town you are interested in. I can tell you this, the freeways are all under construction and are a REAL NIGHTMARE for anyone not familiar with the area.

Best of Luck!
Not sure quality of life is better? That depends on you and what you are looking for. Everyone is different. Flower Mound is a nice family friendly city....Big small town.

I'd probably look for jobs first...gain employment here, then make the move.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Many questions target to assist in making all the right decisions. !

Buying ?
Leasing?
Where is your employer ?
Family lifestyle?
Are you qualified to purchase a home?
If you are not buying are you leasing ? What is your monthly budget for rent ?
When are you going to move to Dallas ?

Dallas homes for sale Dallas Tx - website updated daily
http://www.lynn911.com
Dallas homes for rent Dallas Tx - website updated daily
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5041417

Contact my office today where I can show you many amazing homes work with your family specifications.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Come on down! Flower Mound isn't cheap, but I bet it's a lot cheaper than NY! :)
Diane - you'll find many wonderful, family-friendly areas to consider. I've had several relocation clients from the greater NYC area and they love it here! I'd suggest speaking with several agents to determine who you feel best understands what you need and who's also familiar with the areas and price range that you want to stay in. Please feel free to give me a call if you'd like to chat 469-450-1326. I've lived in the area over 20 years and can offer some suggestions based on my own experience and that of clients too.

Andrea Brooks
http://www.topagent.co
Find an agent and let them know what your "needs" and "wants" are and have them send you some listing and this will help you become familiar with the area. Look up Flower Mound and see what the area is like for some insight. These are a few things you can do as well as input an agent will provide such as school ect. I am sure you will be happy with the results in comparing what the value in Flower Mound will be compared to NY. Contact me if you like and I will be happy to help you!
Hi Diane,

I would love to help you find your next home! Give me a call today and I will help you start the search! Welcome to Texas ;)

Jena Dentone
RE/MAX Four Corners
Web Reference: http://www.dentoneteam.com
Get pre-approved fir before you start looking at houses so you know how much house you can afford. Also, lenders will want to know what you are going to do for a living. You need at least 2 years in the industry in which you will be working in order to qualify for a home loan. For instance, if you have been a teach for 2 years and you get a contract to teach with a school district in the Dallas area, then we would be able to use your income toward qualifying. However, if you are planning to move to Dallas and start a *new* business, then you may have an issue getting qualified. Please call me if you have any questions 972-854-3270.
Welcome to Texas Diane! The Flower Mound area is a great place for families! I am an experienced Realtor & would be so happy to help. Click on my photo to see my profile & email if you are not already working with another Realtor.
The cost of living is so much lower in the Dallas area than in NY - you will be astonished to find out how much house you can afford here.

My brother was bidding on $500,000 homes in San Jose that were selling for $600,000 until he got fed up. He moved to TX, bought 3000+ square feet for $300k.

Let me know your particulars and I'll be glad to help you find a fantastic home for you and your family.

Jeff
The dallas suburbs are a great place to raise a family!

Contact me and I will be glad to send you a list of properties that meet all of your needs :)

andrew.smith@coldwellbanker.com
(214) 686-1507

Looking forward to hearing from you!