Quality of Life in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Volunteering opportunities in Houston

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Fri Oct 12, 2012

What are some popular volunteering opportunities in Houston (specifically with children, homeless and the environment)?

Answers

3
I am involved in the Tomball Renewal Center who's mission is to provide residence, spiritual and financial support and guidance to abandoned mothers and their children with the ultimate goal of assisting them in supporting themselves. The project is still in developement and we are not yet to the point where we have taken in any families but hope to be up and running in the near future. There are countless charitable projects in Houston, some large scale and some more targeted to a specific need or community. I was drawn to the Tomball Renewal Center through prayer rather than popularity; however you find your path to community involvement I encourage your efforts. All the best to you.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
I would highly recommend the Shriners Hospital in Galveston. They are great people that work solely off contributions and they could probably use help. The Shriner's Burns Institute deals primarily with child burn victims. Follow this link to look into volunteering: http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/en/Hospitals/Loc…

Another thought would be Habitat for Humanity. They build homes for the less fortunate all over Houston. Here's their webstie:

http://www.houstonhabitat.org/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
Texas Childrens Hospital is always looking for volunteers, the boy's and girl's scouts, Salvation Army, Good Will, Big Brother and Big Sisters are all possible places to consider. Most churchs have out reach in these areas. You can speak with Trees for Houston as an example for the environment. There are lots of opporunities to help out. Thanks for all your hard efforts in the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012