Quality of Life in Raleigh>Question Details

catinhat007, Home Buyer in Marshall, VA

Thinking of relocating to Raleigh, have visited Wilmington and loved it there but its a little too far from the kids.

Asked by catinhat007, Marshall, VA Sun Jul 29, 2012

Loved Wilmington, all the people there seemed real nice with the "southern charm", what about Raleigh? Are they welcoming of outsiders?

Answers

8
Having grown up on the east end of Long Island, I love the beach areas as well.. The good thing about the raleigh area is that its a clear shot over to Wilmington on I-40 in less than 2 hours. The other good thing is that the cost of living is less here vs. Wilmington. Home insurance is cheaper as we are not right on the coast and I've been shocked when people tell me what their monthly water bills are over there.

You'll also find the people here friendly as well. It's hard to find a 'native ' here as most people are transplants from somewhere else...mostly from north of here. People therefore have a tendancy to reach out and be a bit more friendly towards stangers as they went through it themselves. I moved here in 1993 with my family after 17 years of living all over the country while with IBM. Of all the places we lived, I can honestly say that I couldn't have been laid off in a better place.

If I can be of any help to you, please feel free to contact me. Also visit my website at http://www.RaleighHomeSite.com. I have lots of links to area information.

Ernie Behrle
Northside Realty
919-795-5447
Thank you to all who responded. All very thoughtful and insightful answers.
Very much so! Raleigh and the Triangle is a very diversified, multi-cultural city with the core of the Southern Hospitality and charm. We came here almost 20 years ago and fell in love with the area. Please email me or call for further information,
Monika Papenhausen
Northside Realty
Monika@GreaterRaleighHomes.com
tel. 919-291-5200
You should definitely should look at Raleigh and I would also say consider Historic Oakwood if you want a welcoming community. Just last evening, I hosted a monthly neighborhood party at my home wtih about sixty neighbors showing up. We have a list serve where we share important and helpful information, have an annual candle light tour in December and a garden tour in May.

You can search homes for sale in Historic Oakwood or other Raleigh neighborhoods on my website under local info, http://www.movetoraleighdurham.com.
If you're looking at relocating, enjoy diversity, fine food, a great arts scene and friendly people, you should check out Durham which I've always found to be much more welcoming than Raleigh which I lived in 34 years ago. Like many state capitols, I found it to be more than a little full of itself, and you were either in politics or one of the social insiders to be truly welcomed into the community.
Good morning! There is no one 'they' to determine who our new residents are. I moved here from Virginia in 1984 and got homesick every time I saw I-85 and I-95 North signs. Then, I settled in after meeting people and joining organizations.

Overall, I think you'll enjoy the Raleigh experience. If you're self employed or have a highly needed skill, you'll especially find a warmly enriching climate. Semi-retired and retired folks manage to find much to do - in different ways. Some enjoy quiet time with a few friends while taking part-time jobs for the perks.

You'll do just fine here. By the way: where are the kids?
Kids are in Northern VA as are we. We are retiring and getting out of the rat race up here.
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
Yes, very much so ... Raleigh area is very diversify. I have been living this area for 28 years and have never felt an outsiders. Most people are nice, polite and respectful. It is a great place to raise families. People are relocating here from all of the country in the recent years. Here is the one of the comment that we often hear from the relocating families - we wish we have moved here sooner.

Welcome!

Jean
Re/Max One Realty
919-607-1931
Hi
I would consider Raleigh or Durham, very friendly. I am from Alexandria Va and moved her 11 years ago it is so nice, I love being 2 hours from the beach.
Michael