Quality of Life in New York>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

Things you should have been told before you moved to NYC...

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Fri Oct 19, 2012

What are some things (both logistical and silly) that you wish you knew before making the move to the Big Apple?

Answers

5
Good question Ali - nice, new avatar!

I am enjoying the responses !

I have lived vicariously thru my son who moved into the city 10 yrs ago.
I am still stuck nearby in suburbia.

When he first moved into his 1st apt. (he is on his 4th), I was on the phone w/ him and he said: "Hold on mom, let me get the door - my bagel is here".

I said - "bagel?? you had 1 bagel delivered"????

He said, "Yes....with cream cheese! "
haha
So - seems that you can have anythying delivered in the city - even 1 bagel!

And, as a new Grandmother who makes frequent trips into the city to see "the most beautiful granddaughter in the world" (naturally!).......I must say that NYC is very baby/child friendly in that babies seem to be taken everywhere!
Neighborhood restaurants are very family friendly, and babies are welcome - my 1 yr old GD has been to more brunches and lunches than I have.........and there is never a lack of activities for the "younger" set - at 1 yr old, she has already been to music classes in the park, an indoor "farm" (stretching the word "farm" a bit, but she got to pet a rabbit and a hamster.).......gymnastics (yes, for 6 month olds)......and the list goes on.

It's a great city!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
I would love to have a bagel delivered right about...NOW! That is too cool!
Flag Mon Oct 22, 2012
You will not need a car and if you want to keep your car - parking is hard to find, expensive, and people who park on the street have to jump out of bed early in the morning and move their car in order for it not to be towed.

You can walk from the East side of Manhattan to the West Side in 20-30 minutes and you will probably be walking a lot;

There are so many restaurants and places to eat, so you may stop cooking…

House parties are rare; people mostly meet out at the bars and restaurants;

Hope you will be moving for a job - it is quite competitive to find a job here because of concentration of highly educated and skilled people;

apartments are smaller than other places and a larger place is hard to find;
be prepared to spend 30-40% of income on rent...at the current market, it may be cheaper to buy than rent. Landlords are looking tenants to make 40-45 times rent a year to be approved for a lease.
Many buildings have no pet policy or some restrictions about weight and breed;

You can find some unexpectedly cheap produce markets and expesive grocery stores, some work 24hrs. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods can deliver in Manhattan!

Prepare to spend lots of time in Central Park and at Hudson River Park because you would love it!

New York is a very beautiful and fun place to live in!
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
ps
speaking of babies - there is a slight down side - baby care is expensive - nannies can easily run $15 - $20+ an hour..........day care is also pricey........and don't ask what nursery/pre-school can cost!
Being as i was born here and lived most of my life here (though i also lived in Europe as a child) this question is a bit different for me but if I’d never lived here..
1. There are more desirable straight women than desirable straight men.
2. There aren’t many late night or 24 hr laundromats unless located in your building.
3. You don’t need a car unless you live outside Manhattan (or have a band).
4.You need a good vacuum with a hepa filter + disposable bags as one needs to clean more frequently.
5. Large furniture is to be avoided as it can be hard to get into your apartment.
6. Most rental apartments are unfurnished and most leases are for a year or more.
7.You need to have many good shoes as you will be walking more than about anywhere else.
8.You have to pick up the poop when you walk your dog.
9. Make sure you know who it is before you open the door.
10.Many people expect tips Ie: delivery people, cabdrivers, waiters, hairdressers & at the holidays- building staff & many others: dog walkers, domestic help,mail-persons etc..

Jolie Muss
Licensed Real Estate Broker & Brokerage
"The Upper West Side's Buyer Broker"
331 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10023
Office: 212 721-3301 Email: broker@joliemuss.com
Website: http://joliemuss.com Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/profile/jolie
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jojomuss LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/joliemuss
Web Reference: http://mussrealty.com
Hello:

I think you need to know what to expect both size wise and budget wise when moving to the city. You may also need to come prepared as many management companies require a minimum of 40x the monthly rent and a list of paperwork including taxes, bank statements, employement letters and more. I would be happy to outline the process for you in more detail if you like. Please let me know.

Christie Yamron
Broker / Owner
CNYC PROPERTIES, LLC
Manhattan
108 E 31st St. Ground Floor I New York, New York 10016
O: 646 559 1796 I M: 786 797 6777 I F: 917 591 8260
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
this question, if you look above, was asked by a trulia staff memeber, NOT a consumer looking for advice!
Flag Sun Nov 11, 2012