Victoria, Home Buyer in Alpharetta, GA

The HOA 's Board of Director's president and V.P. gave a two week notice to quit the board (leaving only 2

Asked by Victoria, Alpharetta, GA Sat Feb 16, 2008

new members). Not enough homeowners showed @ annual meeting to elect a new board. Meanwhile, repairs are not being made by the management company we pay and no one is responding to repair requests. What should homeowners do in this situation. Our last president was so questionable nobody wants to have their name involved with the money. I don't blame them, I wouldn't either. But life still has to go on here. Thanks for your advice. Homeowner, Carriage Homes@River Farm.

Answers

7
I saw a bumper sticker recently that read something like this:

"Decisions are made by those who show up".

Having once lived in a condo community and worked on a condo board as well as having been board president for many years, I can tell you that it is a thankless time consuming job that very few people appreciate. Yet I did it for 13 years and found it to be a great learning experience.

That being said, your community has to come together in order to protect it's investment.

I would recommend getting together with the remaining board members and anyone else who is interested in joining and meeting informally (over coffee at your house for example) to develop a strategy. You need to communicate what is happening to the rest of the community - door to door if you must - to drum up interest.

You might even want to gather people together at fun informal events to build community spirit which sounds like yours is lacking of late. Folks are more likely to show up at a block party on the weekend vs. a meeting late at night after work when most are too tired or need to get the kids down to sleep on a school night. Once people can put a face to the name and get to know each other, most will now interact more comfortably and be able to discuss issues without yelling. Building trust is key.

Getting rid of the current Carriage Home management company,Atlanta Community Services would be a good place to start. Second the law firm has a conflict of interest since the firm also reps for the neighborhood that attempts to draw as much money from a share agreement for entrance and nature trail expenses from Carriage Homes. At this point not a single board member was elected by owners due to the missing money that most of us are now without recourse to do anything about due to current laws. The rules change in the favor of the ruling board day by day, situation by situation. A new page of rules recently was mailed out telling town home owners they were no better than renters. The board has become so imposing the town home owners are required to obtain permission to change their door locks! The management company wants owners to only use service companies sent out by the management service. If this was a seller's market this entire neighborhood would be up for sale . The current president is clueless. This is a very sorry neighborhood.
Carriage Homes @ River Farm in Alpharetta is a real mess in terms of the people in charge over there. I was visiting there over the weekend and was so disappointed to see that the nature walk has been turned into what looks like a vacant lot. What a shame these units have such possibility but the property is in such poor condition. These owners need to consider what might happen when the property next to them is purchased by the Johns Creek. Sean Dunwoody
As soon as you can, change management companies as well. We work with Piedmont Management at my condo community and they have been great.
A follow up:

The advice below is very sound and I agree that at some point it may make sense to speak with an attorney.

However, this depends on whether or not your condo has an attorney and how that attorney has been instructed to handle board communication.

We had a wonderful attorney, but it was expensive to use him. We found that we had to be careful in utilizing his time because the bill was being paid by the association. If you had a board member who spent a lot of time on the phone with the lawyer, the bill was very large as he was paid by the minute. We had to be very careful and choose one or two points of contact and be very specific about what to discuss.

It may be that the boards attorney may not be allowed to speak with community members only because he or she needs to be paid somehow and it may not be considered authorized use in order for the lawyer to send a bill.

So my advice is to read the by-laws as stated below, but really focus on team building and community building first. Figure out first what it is you want to accomplish as a group, then call the lawyer if you need to. (Unless of course you are willing to pay for one yourself which may not accomplish much anyway.)

Again, good luck!
Someone in the community needs to step up and handle this run away bull.

Definately read that HOA CC&R's and see if there is a provision for replacement of the board. As far as the Property management is concerned, a lawyer will stir them up if you are paying for services not rendered. Good luck.
Wow! I once had had serious issues with my old HOA. Your problem is not common but there are many association that have constant infighting and turnover. The first thing I would do is read the covenants and restriction fast. There should be something in there to cover an emergency situation. If any new homeowners choose to get involve they should not be afraid of being sued. It should be required in your bylaws that the board be insured for lawsuits. Does your asscociation have an attorney that has done work for you in the recent past? I would bite the bullit and help to orginize a meeting. I would also have what board members you have left to put a hold on all money in the associations account.

This can be fixed but the way you described the situation you need to get involved and protect your own investment.

Good Luck