Quality of Life in Bayville>Question Details

Barbarap, Home Buyer in Bayville, NJ

Stinkbugs in Bayville?

Asked by Barbarap, Bayville, NJ Wed Apr 4, 2012

We live in Hudson County - no stinkbugs (but no outside space either). We're ready to move but really terrified of these bugs. Thinking some areas in Bayville (like Topsail and similar blocks) might be in good shape because of lack of trees and all the water but is that true? Are there infestations there? Thanks!

Answers

9
Definitely everywhere but not too bad here I my area truthfully.
It is not just Bayville they are everywhere and have been a nuisance the past few years. I think they are harmless, it just takes getting accustomed to living in the suburbs. Where there are trees, grass and plants there will always be something.
they are disgusting. I m in Bayville one dropped in my coffee cup, the other night I called the exterminator he claims there drawn to light, in you have any small cracks in your home,
who dosen't. I wouldn't let this be a factor about relocating to Bayville they are few and
far in between. It's far from a infestation
They seem to be everywhere - four years ago, they just started to be seen in my area, now, they really are out in force. They are a bummer, but I don't think they cause harm, ie, not wood destroying. But a nuisance for sure!

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
We first had them two years ago, literally a few hundred over a two or three month period in the house, yuck! Last year, less than 100, and this spring too...so far.
They also can stink you not from being crushed, just caught to be placed outside...double yuck...lol.
But why be afraid? When it was really cold out, we put them out. Now, we have a water can out back to drown them so they cannot procreate...and move on!
Best wishes for you being stinkbug free....Jim
PS if they land on a light bulb, they can stink there too...
Thanks to eveyrone for their answers. I will call an exterminator. I'm not worried though about a few bugs -- I'm worried about those areas where there are signficant invasions. At this point Hudson County has seen virtually none -- most likely becuase it's largely built up and has no "green". On the ohter hand Hunterdon County where we originally planned to move is overrun and some homes have hundreds and thousands. I'm okay with a bug or two but not really okay with having them in my food, bed, etc. as many of the horror stories are sharing.
Barb

Stinkbugs are apparently in just about every county in NJ. They are harmless . As their name implies they emit n odor when crushed, but it's not like a skunk or even very noticeable. When I catch one I just flush the bugger down the toilet in a tissue.
Stinkbugs are harmless - their name implies more damage than they are actually capable. Most homes, especially with the weather conditions we have had this winter will require some sort of pest control . . . and sinus control (LOL). Unfortuantely, here at the Jersey shore pest control is an annual expense that is necessary to prevent against ants, stink bugs, etc . . . now if u said "bed bugs" then I'd be concerned.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Assoiciate, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
http://www.PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct Cell/ 24/7)
Thanks. I do know they are harmless. I have a bug phobia. I'm okay with the the occasional bug that comes in -- have dealt with ant swarms and even bad mosquito problems but those bugs can be exterminated. Stink bugs are not easy to exterminate -- and they can be invasive. Home owners in Hunterdon county (where we were looking initially) routinely are killing MANY (like 50 or more) in a day (vacuuming them up) with some homes having hundreds and thousands. They are showing up in people's beds, clothes, food, etc. I will definitley pay for pest control - but since it doesn't work well with them - then part of the solution is to find a place that is not "infested" or likely to bring them (ie. no plants).
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
I think you might want to check with someone that specializes in bugs...I've never run into them, I've lived in NJ swamps, pinelands and coast. That's not to say they won't be waiting for you, but an exterminator is your best bet to know of their whereabouts.
Thanks. We will certainly talk to an exterminator.
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012