Quality of Life in Almaden>Question Details

Benny Rodrig…, Other/Just Looking in 95123

Someone used my identity to secure utilities at a home I worked on, the home eventually was listed by a real

Asked by Benny Rodriguez, 95123 Fri Jun 5, 2009

estate women whom lived near by, I am wondering how would it be possible for a realtor who is showing the house and actually lived only two doors down from the sale property not to have known the status of the utilites and so on? It doesn't seem possible that she could not have known and there a near $500. balance on the bill? While she may not have been the one to secure the account originally I can't believe she felt free to continue to use it, especially since I know she knows my name well as I did work on her home also she never finished paying me for? Does the DRE have any rules regarding this? I really just can't believe this women! Thanks

Answers

2
K’s answer
Benny,

Having worked as the in house loan officer at a local real estate office, I can confirm Marc's answer below is accurate and that real estate agents do not usually interact with the utility company.. It seems that you may be concerned that the agent may have been involved in someway with the misuse of your name and information for turning on the utilities. Also, I am wondering if you know who the owner of the property is?

Aside from that, it sounds like you have been the victim of identity theft, and you should take the appropriate steps to protect yourself. I am posting a link to the Federal Trade Commission's website that provides information on the steps to take to protect yourself, and report this illegal activity.

I would actually contact the utility company first (if you have not already done so) and inform them that you are a victim of identity theft, and this is not your account and request information from them on what you need to prove identity theft. Step four of the link that I posted also instructs you to file a police report. Keep a copy of this for the future. I hope this helps.
Benny,

Is the property currently vacant? The reason I'm asking is that properties that are currently occupied, the utilities are usually not factored in to the listing. Now if it is vacant, the listing agent USUALLY does not reactivate the utility unless it is necessary for repairs. I'm still not quite sure to your grievance but if possible for you to elaborate further?

In any case, when you feel you have been wronged by a Realtor, you can always file a complaint with the DRE and they will follow with an investigation.

Try talking with the Realtor first, is my suggestion, this may ease some tension and if you still feel wronged about the situation then file your complaint. I'm sure there's a good explanation to all this.

Good Luck,

Marc