Quality of Life in 31811>Question Details

Jeanne White, Other/Just Looking in Hamilton, GA

Some counties in Georgia do not require senior citizens to pay school taxes. The county in which we live does

Asked by Jeanne White, Hamilton, GA Tue Oct 21, 2008

We are 71 & 76 year old seniors , living on a fixed income that is below poverty level, and are still paying school taxes, with no children or grandchildren in the system. We are not against school taxes, but at our age(s), must we still continue to pay them? We receive propertry tax relief, but 95% of our taxes go to the schools. Why are senior citizens not exempt statewide rather than just a few select counties? We are under the assumption that with the lottery here in Georgia, those proceeds are utilized for the schools M & O's. Plus, the lottery proceeds go toward the Hope Scholarship. At what age, at what income level do you cease taxing the elderly for school taxes? Please explain the difference in the county policies and to whom we should speak within our county to not only get answers, but relief.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and prompt reply.
Jeanne White and Judith Ashley
Harris County Georgia Senior Citizens

Answers

6
We are in a similar situation here is Lowndes County (South Ga.) About 70 cents out of our property tax dollar goes to the schools. Instead of raising our millage rate the tax assessors raised our appraisals !! But, this was only in my neighborhood---not the rest of the county! I have gone from paying $2,400.00 in 2006, to paying $5,195.22, in 2008. I appealed, I filed Property Tax returns, most of us in my "neighborhood" did, and was able to get about $45,000.00 off my appraisal, which translates into a "savings" of $77.71 on my tax bill!!!!! I agree, when will the Senior Citizens of Georgia have paid enough for school taxes? Why are only some counties exempt from school taxes? Why weren't our legislators, local and statewide, more on the ball in realizing that ALL Georgia Seniors deserved school tax exemptions? The problem is that the fox is guarding the hen-house! Anyone else out there feel the same way we do? Laura Minchew, Lowndes Cpounty, Georgia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 27, 2009
the reason why Senior citizens should be exempt of school taxes and any other tax like property tax is because we do not have the funds to pay them. we are on fixed retirement incomes which today do not go very far. some of us are 66 and older and cannot work any longer and only have a fixed retirement income ... the moneywe would pay on taxes we canuse for our homes repairs retired, medicazl expenses, groceries, car gas, heating oil for our homes, clothes, shoes, paying these taxes when retired takes away from our fixed incomes and pushes some of us into a proverty level just because we have rto pay taxes ar our age on fixed incomes ... when you retire you will understand why ...
in Gwinnett county GA, there is a school tax exemption for seniors 65 and older and
you can apply in the year you reach 65 and meet certain income requirements
I have the income exemption in Haralson County, GA and it made no difference to speak of in my property taxes because they went up on the appraisal.
Flag Thu Jun 6, 2013
I am a 66 year old disabled Senior Citizen. I have paid taxes for the past 51 years, 30 years of property taxes.
I have no children, never have had children, but I paid the school tax just the same.
I agree that once we get to this age, like so very many states do, Ga. should make Senior Citizens exempt from paying this tax.
Even states that do not have the lottery like Ga. does, give the exemption & most of these states have a far better school system than the state of Ga. does.
So, please, don't go saying we should have to pay this tax, we've paid more than most of the parents will ever pay!!!!
I was born in Ga. & lived here till I was 22 & then moved to Fl. I lived there till all my family either passed away or moved away & when I got to the point I needed help with everyday living, I moved back to my hometown to be close to the few family members I have left. I kick myself every day for being so very stupid!!!!
I honestly thought Ga. would be better about helping, I was sooooooooooo wrong & now I'm too sick & too broke to move back to Fl.!!!!
Just a question, I don't understand why, because you are elderly, you should not have to pay school taxes? When your children were going to school, others paid the school taxes. Any money spent educating America is money well spent. No one should be exempt from paying school taxes. Before I had children I worked and paid taxes to the school. If only the people who have children in school pay taxes, this country will be in BIG trouble!
What about the money from the lottery that goes to the schools. That alone should be a subsidy for the elderly. I am just turning 66 and not having to pay the additional tax makes it a little easier to live on a limited budget. I am still working and put into a 401k since I was 24 and have a small pension and will eventually receive Social Security. I have paid my dues and think it is wonderful that the Seniors get a break. You will think differently when it is your turn.
Flag Mon Dec 15, 2014
White County too does not give the elderly a break on these school taxes. What can we do to get this implimented in White county. We did not even get a cola this year,how are the retired to survive?
Linda Simmons, white Co Ga.