Quality of Life in Houston>Question Details

Jyfox22, Home Buyer in Providence, RI

Safe, Urban-like Neighborhoods in Houston

Asked by Jyfox22, Providence, RI Tue Nov 27, 2012

Looking to move to Houston. Im from Boston, but I love the South. Spent 7yrs in Alabama. Im not in the Market to buy just yet so im looking for nice, safe neighborhoods, metro-area, Urban scene with affordable apts. I have a 6 month old daughter...we like to get around, parkhop and sightsee! Any suggestions?

Answers

5
Hello Providence! As you can see, we would all love to have your business. My fellow Realtors have mostly addressed the "issue" of safe vs. non-safe. Houston is very much a conglomerate of small communities that stretches from near Galveston to Conroe and from near Beaumont to Katy. A very large area with many differing types of ammenities and lifestyles. You might want to consider school districts for your daughter as well. Each area generally has its own sights to see. Where you work should be a consideration as well, as traffic is an issue in this large city.

I am a native Houstonian and former home-builder. I know most of the areas well and would be happy to share my expertise. Any Realtor you choose should be able to help you find a good fit for you and your daughter. Best of luck in your move. You will soon enough be a real Texan.

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
http://www.yournewhomehouston.com
arnold@yournewhomehouston.com
713-396-2017
As Realtors we are ethically not allowed to direct you to any neighborhoods that may or may not be safe. As one of the other Realtors has pointed out, check out the police/sheriff websites for neighborhood safety. There are so many areas that could be a possibility, but it all comes down to price and what you are willing to spend. I will concur with one of my colleagues that you will see a big difference in price in Houston as opposed to Boston. Here you will get a lot more house for a lot less. Email me so I can get more of an idea of your needs. Happy holidays.
Houston offers a lot of great areas that are close to attractions and parks in trendy areas around town! Trendier areas do tend to come with a higher price tag, but you may find that Houston's housing market is less expensive than what you're used to paying in Boston or Alabama (depending on what area you are/were living in). The Heights and Memorial areas are very popular and offer a lot of great amenities.

Because of all the factors that go into finding a home/area (budget, proximity to work, etc.) it would be easiest for us to work with you directly! I'd love to pair you up with one of our Buyer's Specialists who can help you look for an area that fits your needs. Even if you're not ready to buy or rent just yet, we'd be happy to work with you to pinpoint an area/neighborhood to make your search easier in the future.

Message us your info and I can have someone contact you today!

Hope this helps!

The Loken Group
281- 861- 4624
info@thelokengroup.com
We don't discuss safe VS unsafe because we don't keep the data, but we can direct you to the police/sheriff that does and their web sites.

As far as "affordabe" apartments, I would point out you have lived in 2 VERY different real estate markets of Boston, MA and Alabama. I guess affordable is what your willing to pay. I've seen 2 bedroom apts inside the 610 Loop of Houston "urban" area that range from $600-$3500/month. Other factors like age, W/D, upscale features like granite counters and private garages come into play.

This area is very large and offers a great variety of apartments to choose form. If you want to be near the popular parks like Hermann or Memorial, expect to pay higher prices. There are other park "like areas such as Buffalo Bayou or Brayes Bayou with apartments along these areas. The location of your future employment might also be a key to what location you will find your next apartment.

We have apartment data for every community in Houston. Let us know a few more details and we can email you a list with photos, maps, details on each community, prices and specials being offered. Look forward to assisting you.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Houston is a unique city for it's size, because of our no-zoning laws. As such, it can be difficult for someone new to this area to really get an idea of "where" to be. In general, you will want to take the time, or find someone that is knowledgable of the area. As a Realtor, I am prohibited from saying anything that would make you believe you are safe in any area or property. The most upcoming and popular area for a lot of Houstonians is the "Inner Loop" which offers a large variety of dining, shopping, arts, parks etc. It is urban as you desire, but can be pricey at times. It just depends what you are looking for. I would love to talk to you more about it, if you want to contact me. I can help.

Heather D. Heitke
In the Loop Properties