Quality of Life in Houston>Question Details

Leavinhimbeh…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Roommate eviction?

Asked by Leavinhimbehind29, Houston, TX Tue Nov 3, 2009

My boyfriend (who is married to someone else) moved in with me six months ago and now we have broken up. The police got involved, they told him to leave for the night but he can come back at anytime. He has not been back for the last 3 days and I also still have some of his belongings in my home, even though he has taken most of his things to his new girlfriend's house. I found out that I have to evict him from my apartment for him to be put out, and not come back. I wanted to know if I had to serve him with a evicition notice from me personally and still go thru the constable and let them do their evicition paperwork. Or should I just let the court handle it, provided I don't want a suprise, for them to tell me that I have to still send a notice to him, them still go thru the constanble.

Help the community by answering this question:


Well first thing I would ask is if he is on the lease. If he is not, then he would have no legal standing and basically you would just change the locks and move merrily along. If the police are involved you can have a restraining order or an order of protection put on him to keep him from bothering you. There are a lot of scenerios at play here and without very specfic information it would be hard to tell you how to proceed.

Saul Carrillo, Realtor
It Homes
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 3, 2009
Difficult to state based on executed lease agreement between tenants and property owner.

Notify owner what has taken place, if boyfriend has sign lease he has all rights be there as much as you do. Only property owner can evict the boyfriend not you.

Now if boyfriend is not on lease agreement or nothing in writing then confer with attorney could be no legal process is required.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 5, 2009
You can only evict if he has violated the terms of his lease with you and more likely if he is not paying rent depending on the judge.
Is his name on the lease you signed with the apt complex?
If so you might ask for their assistance.
If he is not on the lease, and he comes on the property you might could get them to issue a trespass notice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 4, 2009
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer