Quality of Life in Dallas>Question Details

Boricua44, Home Buyer in Eden Prairie, MN

Relocating from mn to Dallas. Which is best suburb to move with a 13yr old?

Asked by Boricua44, Eden Prairie, MN Mon Dec 6, 2010

Answers

14
I grew up in flower mound from the age of 10 until 19 years old and recommend Flower Mound over any where in DFW to raise a teen. I am 33 years old now and do not have kids but when I do, thats where I am heading back to raise a family.
I am not an agent and am in a simular boat. We are selling our Dallas home to move to the 'burbs. A lot of it depends on where your job is. My husband works downtown and doesn't commute during rush hour, so we're looking at Plano.

Frisco, Plano, Allen, and Richardson have great school districts and easy access to highways that will get you down town. If you're more west, Arlington, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, are all great. Rockwall, Rowlett, and Garland are pretty decent, too. I LOVE ROCKWELL, but Plano is our choice due to where we both work and our kids' activities.
I can't agree more with Greg that commuting is the first concern, because you can find excellent schools and neighborhoods in many areas around Dallas.

While construction is constantly improving the road system (and simultaneously disrupting it for the construction), some commutes are much harder than others. You might, for example, take a real shine to Joe Pool Lake area but have to commute to Frisco (or vice versa). The hour-plus everyday in the car will take its toll on you. So, despite your child being in a good school with great friends, you might be in no mood to enjoy it.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
I am presuming that you are moving here due to a job. A lot has to do with where you'll work and how far you are willing to travel. Since everything thing now is on computer you can look into the school districts and decide if it's an area where you'd like to live for your son or daughter. There are some nice suburbs and it's a personal choice of where. Some communities which are known for good schools are Coppell, Richardson and Plano. Best of luck in your search, I know you will really like being here.
Thanks for the question! My husband and I moved here with a 12 yr old and 16 yr old and it has been wonderful for our whole family! Many opportunities our kids would not have had otherwise. Our daughter was highly competitive in orchestra so we checked to find out which schools were recommended for that and ended up in Plano. I can furnish you with the school ratings for the metroplex as well.
Where you are going to work will also be a major factor since Dallas-Ft Worth covers a large area and you want to keep your commute reasonable. Would love to answer your questions--I always enjoy working with people relocating to Dallas and can give you names of recent "relocators" whom I have assisted for referrals.
You're going to love it here! :) Hope you'll call me soon!
Susan Hanson - 972-489-0229
Boricua44,

Congratulations on your move to Dallas and welcome to Texas!

A lot of folks do not know this, but DFW is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the US, behind New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. So, to answer your question is not as easy as it might seem. You've already received some great advice and I'll just echo the parts about being close to work or within a tolerable commute and being close to the things you and your teen enjoy.

Once you pick an area, here's a link to school information that you'll find helpful:

http://www.republictitle.com/outbound/ResGuide/Section%2004%…

Good luck and best wishes on your new journey.

Rich
Boricua,

Welcome to Dallas. You've received a great deal of information. There are so many great communities surrounding Dallas to chose from. I would start with the location of your work. No sense in spending your entire life in the car - I've been there/done that, and I can attest that it is good for the whole family if you are at least reasonably close by.

Many have mentioned great suburban communities such as Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Lewisville, etc. there are also some wonderful Dallas communities inside LBJ. I am partial to Lake Highlands, having lived here for the past 20 years. It offers the convenience of being close to the city center, and is part of the Richardson ISD, so the schools are great. Its very much like the small town in the big city.

Congrats on your return to Dallas!!
Lots of great places for kids here..... I would also ask:
What price range do you need to stay in?
Do you want to buy or lease?
How long do you intend to stay?
Where will you work?
Drive times can be significant as well as price ranges....so we would like to get you the best possible place in your price range and close to work.
Other considerations might be style of home you desire, hobbies, or any other services you need.
Not know the answers to these I might suggest Coppell, Flower Mound, Wylie, Sachse, Keller and Frisco.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi Greg!
Welcome to Dallas from Minnesota!
You say you want a community best for a 13 yr old.
Need to know:
- price point
-proximity to work/recreation
-private or public school requirements
-home features and amenities
Call me at 877-231-4534 toll free and I'd be happy to discuss the options, free of charge, set you up to receive homes, directly matched to your search criteria and help you locate a home all at no cost to you.
As a Dallas area Realtor I've helped home buyers and sellers as well as invested personally for years, my niche is luxury homes priced from $400's and up; but I'll help at any price point. With me you get five star personal service, powerful negotiation skills and your goals achieved and delivered!
Call me today, let's discuss your real estate needs.
Congratulations on your decision to move to the Dallas area. There are numerous wonderful neighborhoods thoroughout the metroplex. I would be happy to provide you with information that might educate you on Dallas and its surrounding suburbs. I also have a strong relocation team that can assist you in any way. Please feel free to contact me.

Much Success with your upcoming move!

LaTanya Whitman, REALTOR
Century 21 Judge Fite Company
latanyawhitman@judgefite.com
http://www.latanyawhitman.com
Are you searching to rent? Buy?
Where is your office?

You need be interviewed where a Realtor can determine what is your best interest . Dallas Fort Worth has approx. 70 1st tier cities which may all work for your family

Are you approved for a loan? When you submit a sales offer must have lender approval statement which governs how a Realtor can work on your behalf. . Purchase a home takes approx. 60 days to close.

FYI about Leasing in Dallas:
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5032441

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I would first like to ask what activities is your teenager into? That would play a significant roll in where you would want to move to. Second add 30 mins to your commute if you will be working in Dallas for every 10-15 miles outside dallas that you move. I have lived all over Dallas from south Dallas to all the suburbs north of Dallas and know a great deal of all activities there is for youth seeing as I am an active youth teacher at my church. I also have a teenage sister and friends with teenage kids all over the metroplex. I would love to assist you in your planning so feel free to email me or call so I can send you info on all the suburbs.

Craig Brock
Keller Williams Central
Office-972-941-8200
Cell-972-339-2820
Fax972-941-8201
craigbrock@kw.com
http://Www.craigbrock.yourkwagent.com
Welcome to Dallas. You will find the economy stronger here, milder weather, wide spread activities of all sorts, and very good schools.

There are many excellent school systems here, Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Lewisville, Mc Kinney.
If you will provide me more details on what location is the job site, I can provide you with much
information for you to make a good decision.

I am a Buyers Agent with 20 years of valuable experience, who will put your best interest first.
You are welcome to contact me.
Kathleen Testa, GRI
Coldwell Banker
DlsReltr@aol.com
972 754 4130
I just went to MN for the first time this Summer-it was gorgeous! However you will like the winter's here better I think! I have a teen ager as well and have had her both in the Plano and Richardson school districts, which are great. You have some other great choices including Allen, Frisco, etc. depending on what kind of home you are looking for. I will be more than happy to assist you in any way, please call or email with any questions.

Nancy Monts
RE/MAX Premier
214-264-1974
nmonts@contactdallas.com
http://www.aboutdfwhomes.com