Quality of Life in 11231>Question Details

Mary, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Red Hook - we are thinking of renting a house there for our family.

Asked by Mary, New York, NY Thu Aug 23, 2007

Does anyone know how it is for families in the area and if safety is a big issue still.
Thanks, MJ

Answers

3
Pierre Calzadilla’s answer
Red Hook is an interesting neighborhood. There is a lot of change going on there and much of it is much, much different than several years ago. Specifically closer to the water and columbia street. The bst advice I can give you is to go take a ride around, take the train in - which is a bit of a walk, depending how far off of smith street you are (F train Line). I personally like Red Hook very much, and the upside on the area is still huge. New developments are coming to fruition, stores are moving in, there is alot of action. I sold real estate in Carroll Gardens and had a few listings in Red Hook as well years back. I do see families there, and like ANY neighborhood in New York City, even the Upper East Side where I lived for 22 years, you always need to be a smart New Yorker and consider safety first, walking around late is never recommended, especially by yourself - late at night. Cheers.
I just moved to red Hook from Manhattan last year and love it.
More space for the money and less crowded yet close to the city.
However there are not a lot of properties on the market, both rentals and homes for sale are hard to come by.
Transportation is a bit of a problem with only 2 bus lines and the water taxi.
If you have a car and do not have to get into Manhattan on a daily basis its great.
Im not sure about schools for kids that might be an issue...
Here is a website that can give you a profile on Red Hook. http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Red-Hook-New-York.cfm.

I would also check with the local police department for safety information and crime statistics
Web Reference: http://pamwinterbauer.com
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA