Quality of Life in Coral Way>Question Details

Julio, Other/Just Looking in Miami, FL

REGARDING NON PAYING TENANTS...i am a landlord in a really bad situation. I have a tenant whom hos not paid

Asked by Julio, Miami, FL Wed Apr 16, 2008

the months of March and April. She asked me to let her stay until the end of April which agreed to AS LONG as she lets me go in the property to show it to prospective tenants. She agreed verbally. i asked for a letter to be sign, she said shell sign. i take the letter to her so she can sign it and she has refused to sign it. Im worried because 1. i can not force to get out, or can i ?
2. if i go though and eviction process the eviction takes 1 month to take effect and i have spend more money. More money than the wo months rent the tenant has not paid for. Is there a way to guarantee i get my 2 mos rent or get her to vacate the property as soon as possible. Something that is faster than an eviction and someway i get (guarentee) the rent she owes.

Help the community by answering this question:


See the Florida Landlord and Tenant Laws. Go to the following web site:

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 18, 2010
Heres some advice I manage property so this advice is base purely on my own experience your case may be different. When ever my tenant dont pay and are a day late, I present them them with a 3-day notice no matter what the excuse if they call me or not, standard precedure.
Next after three days they paid, great ! all well that ends well, However if they dont pay I proceed with the eviction yes it cost but its much cheaper than having the tenant stringing you along.
You have right too use them, help the tenant to understand that you must follow the rules to protect them and you.
I would just evict her if I was you dont wait another minute if you dont evict her, she might never leave you never get her out and you loss more in the long run including your sanity.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 1, 2010
You may find some interesting landlord/tenant information articles at the following website. There are also oodles of forms available to landlords depending on their individual situation. http://www.evict.com/?page=articles_harry

If you have not previously filed an eviction or been in this situation before, as previously advised, it is very important that you have professional legal advice as to the proper course of action.

If an eviction is required and the forms are not filled out properly (as many owners don't know which ones are required or how to file them) they can be kicked back by the courthouse, thus extending your eviction.

Best wishes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 16, 2008
Realtors are not supposed to give legal advice and it sounds like that's exactly what you need, an attorney. In the meantime, refer to your lease and from now on, address any issues with your tenant in writing and, send the letter certified, return-receipt. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 16, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer