Quality of Life in Dallas>Question Details

Familycorona…, Home Buyer in Corona, CA

Planning move to the DFW area from So. Cal. Please recommend good cities for a nice family, Mom,Dad & 3 sons. schools/outdoor spaces/friendly

Asked by Familycoronaca, Corona, CA Tue Jan 25, 2011

people?

Answers

25
Grand Homes’ answer
Because Dallas is so spread out, you really do need to look at where you will be working and look at areas in that vicinity. We offer homes in Allen, Frisco, Plano, McKinney as well with great schools and super neighborhood amenities. We also have homes in Keller with exemplary schools, Grand Prairie with fabulous neighborhood pools & parks inclusive. Having a 9 year old boy myself, the neighborhood pools and parks with the schools within walking distance is appealing to me. We also have a fantastic community in Valley Ranch within the highly rated Coppell school district you may want to look into. Look at our website and see if there is anything you would like more detailed info on!
Web Reference: http://www.grandhomes.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 25, 2011
Yes, I agree with Jim that Coppell is a great suburb - centrally located in the metroplex, all schools but one elementary (Wilson) have the highest rating Texas gives (Exemplary). I'm actually showing houses in Coppell this weekend to a family moving here from Boston. Let me know what price range you're looking in and I'd be happy to keep your criteria in mind while looking there. I could then send you the MLS links to see photos, etc.
Susan
Your Home Is Where My Heart Is!
972-489-0228
You couldn't find a better place than Coppell Tx. 75019 Exemplary schools, minutes fron both DFW and Love Field, parks, YMCA, bike/jogging paths/ aquatic center and you'll think your living in Mayberry. I'd be happy to send you more information
A hidden jewel -- the ENCLAVE AT GROVE HILL is the only NEW GATED COMMUNITY that is INNER CITY. the community is 4 miles to downtown. DAVID WEEKLEY is the home builder and is well known in the Houston and Dallas market. This community can be found at the intersection of LAWNVIEWN @ GROVE HILL; you can build a brand new home or buy and existing home. This is a surprise to a lot of folks - even the Dallas Police stats for 2009 show this community experience's the least amount of crime compare to the rest of the City! Folks call this community THE NEW EAST DALLAS........i hope this helps you out? Most important, do your research. one more thing, i'm not an agent just and person involved in his community.
Dear Corona Family,

A friendly atmosphere and open spaces are easy to find around the Dallas area. Good schools with high ratings and non-urban atmospheres are also fairly easy to find. The question in my mind is how far do want to commute?

Every place in the D/FW metroplex may be within an hour or so from every other place, but an hour commute every day can take its toll on the commuter. So, it probably is best to nail down the work location(s) of your family before recommending Frisco, Rockwall or Crowley. They are very far apart and different in character.

So, another question would be if you're boating/water people, because maybe Lake Ray Hubbard would be good or maybe Joe Pool Lake or White Rock. It's hard to help without knowing a little more. Of course I'm partial to Rowlett with an easy commute to Plano and being on the lake.

Lastly, pricing. You may be used to prices in the $200+ per square foot, but you'll be shocked at what $500k will get you here. The bad news is that real estate taxes are apples for apples the same, meaning a 3-bedroom house may cost you $4k in taxes, but it won't be priced the same. So, the $500k house may have $11k in annual taxes.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
Well this all depends on what you are looking for. No agent can really "recommend" a location until they find out more about you and what is most important to you in considering where to live. North Texas is very diverse - from urbane city living - to generic suburbs - to unique rural communities. It all depends on what you want. The suburbs are probably going to be your best bet - although many suburbs are rather "homogenized" that look like every other suburb in the United States. I would recommend looking in the Colleyville/Southlake area probably if you are looking for top rated public schools. The "best" area of North Texas in my opinion is the Preston Hollow and Bluffview area in Dallas proper. It's in the heart of the city but with large lots and trees. Nonetheless - if you have more specific questions please do not hestitate to contact me as I am an Accredited Buyer's Rep. and have worked with numerous Buyers from outside the DFW area. Best wishes - and Welcome to North Texas !
Web Reference: http://www.jaynarey.com
First of all, Welcome to TEXAS and Dallas! As you have read, there are many nice places to live, work, play and become part of in the Metro-Plex. One of the better places to live in Dallas is the Lake Highlands area east of Dallas by six miles. Exemplary schools, world class shopping, close to rail system, largest urban lake in the United States just a couple of mile s away, some of the best resturants in the US close by and close to other outstanding communities nearby. I would love to answer any questions you may have by either calling (214)906-0990 or email richarddennard@ebby.com. I will listen to what you are wanting to find in a home and other questions as to where you want to live in relation to your work. There is not any obligation to do so! I look foward tp hearing from you. THANKS! Richard Dennard
As a Northern California transplant myself...I had the same delima when deciding where I wanted to raise my children here in Dallas/Fort Worth. I chose to plant my feet here in Allen...because of the family atmosphere and awesome schools. I love it here and it has turned out to be a great decision for me and my children...You might also consider Plano, McKinney or Frisco.

Disclaimer: I am not licensed to provide legal advice. The above representation is based off of my 13+ years of experience in the Real Estate and Title Industries and may differ from others.
Hi You can tell we are proud of our cities here in North Texas. There are indeed so many variables when we begin to discuss what cities/schools are good options for your family. First how close do you need to be work--is that even a needed consideration. What do you consider a "good" school. What other needs do you have that would be best served by location constraints, such as do you need access to certain doctors/hospitals/churches or synagogues etc.

You will want someone to assist you in narrowing down areas based on your needs. It would be great to have a team that can assess the larger scope of the Metroplex for you. In other words, when you decide on a realtor or team to assist make sure they are familiar with more than just one area. For example on my team we have agents that have lived and worked in McKinney/Plano/Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake/Keller/Rockwall and Rowlett.

Many agents are ready to assist you, choose carefully and WELCOME TO TEXAS!

Pam 214.929.5535
Web Reference: http://www.BlaserYoakum.com
The Dallas metroplex has many areas that may interest you. Commute time , in desired, minutes, not miles is one thing we consider. Will children go to public or private schools? Where is you comfort level in your monthly payment including prinipal, interst, taxes, and insurance? I am not sure what type of putdooer space you are referring to, but everyone is friendly. In fact, the majority off the people you meet, were not originally from Dallas!
Let me know some specifics, and I will send more info. I am an experience Relocation Agent and have work in most areas of the Metroplex.

Susie 469-855-7610
My first questions would be what do you want to spend.for the house and where will you work?
DFW is a big place just like LA.
If you work in Plano you might not want to live in Mansfield or visa versa.

Just to name a few places though are Keller, Frisco, Flower Mound, Coppell, Lantana.

Bruce Lynn
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
You can't go wrong in the Dallas area. I would begin with a commute time limit, traffic here may not be as bas as LA or other parts of California, but it could be in the upper 45+ minutes depending where you live, and truth be told with as many great communities all around Dallas your commute should not be more than 20 minutes. We have several toll ways and generally if you can stay along or close to them the traffic is manageable.

After you map out an area closer to work I would begin to look for areas that have a lifestyle you are seeking. Most school dsitrict are Exemplary so you will be hard pressed to find a "bad area". Start with the DallasThe North Dallas suburbs (Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney) they are known for family friendly environment, abundance of shops, great schools and great home values. The closer you get to downtown Dallas (North moving South) the higher the home prices and the more urban and metropolitan the feel will be. If you look at the map you will see HWY 75 to the East and Dallas North toll way to the West. This funnell aimed at Dallas represent the majority of the sought after locations in the area.

The Dallas TX area is sprawling and has lots of options for all budgets. I have a feeling you will have a great problem....too many options!
Thanks for allowing all of us the opportunity to assist you in finding the right city and house for you and your family! There are many great areas that will fit what you are looking for. DFW is one of largest metropolitan areas in the country and I believe a good starting point would be where you and/or your wife will be working and what kind of commute you would want. There are many wonderful recommendations that the other agents have posted. I would appreciate an opportunity to personally discussover the phone. Please feel free to contact me at 214-649-4446.

Kevin M. McGovern
Modtown Realty
http://www.modtownrealty.com
214-649-4446
Let me be one of the first to congratulate and welcome you to the Dallas metro area! I also transferred here over 18 years ago from Tennessee and I assure you LOVE what Dallas and Texas has to offer! As a previous Builder Representative and now a Licensed Texas REALTOR, I have assisted over 1000 relocating families, move up and new home buyers to the Dallas market area since 2002. Dependent upon a few variables for what your expectations are, I would HIGHLY recommend Frisco, Prosper, West Plano, Keller, Highland Park etc. With Dallas and Fort Worth covering over 9000 Square miles and over 12 counties. Another consideration for you will be where will you or your husband be working, what is your household budgetary requirements and other factors of finding a home for your family. I have included a couple of links that gives an overview of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex as well as to the Best Burbs of Dallas 2010. Please feel free to review them both. As I'm sure you will be looking for a knowledgeable professional to assist with your new home search, I would like to offer my services at no cost to you as I know how important a transfer is and, I would be happy to take that stress from your family and in finding the best place for what you are seeking. Please feel free to contact me at any time on my cell at 214-762-0952 or email me at kms7966@aol.com. I will be happy to assist you with all your relocation needs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_metroplex
http://www.dmagazine.com/Issues/D_Magazine_JUL_2010.aspx

Kim Stover-Schumacher, REALTOR
Private Label Realty
214-762-0952 Find Me
kms7966@aol.com
You've received lots of great input about the suburbs of Dallas. I'd like to place a few recommendations about Dallas proper. There are several great communities in the heart of Dallas. I'm partial to east Dallas, having lived here for the past 20 years. White Rock Lake is a jewel within the city limits offering parks, hike/bike trails and beautiful scenery. Surrounding the lake are some extraordinary communities such as Lakewood, Forest Hills, M Streets, Old Lake Highlands, Lochwood and Lake Highlands.

Directly north of downtown are the Park Cities (Highland Park and University Park). Hoem prices in these communities are expensive by Dallas standards, but not so much by California standards. The schools are of the best public schools in the DFW area, and there are also a plethera of fabulous private schools.

Just west of the Park Cities are two fabulous communities, Devonshire and Bluffview. Rollling hills, tremendous trees - in places it is hard to believe that you are in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US - the city just seems to disappear.

To the north of the Park Ciies is Preston Hollow. An established community in Dallas, it offers living from Mansion to 3 bedroom homes and all points in betweem. Large lots, parks and a great community. This is the part of town where George W Bush settled as he returned to Dallas. Public schools are strong in this community, and again, a braod collection of private schools is also available.

I have a wonderful relocation guide that provides much more indepth information about these communities. If you'll send me an email, I would be happy to forward it to you.

Greg Fowler
Keller Williams, Dallas City Center
214-215-8097
Welcome to Dallas! As a Dallas native I may be a little prejudice but you and your family are going to love it here. (just don't ask for beach front or moutain view property:))

There are so many wonderful neighborhoods to live in the Dallas and surrounding area. Questions to consider are; where will you be working, how long of a commute is acceptable to you, what type of activities appeal to your family, public or private school, special needs of your family outside of school to name a few.

My website is full of information from neighborhoods and schools to lifestyle and activities. You can also search for homes there. http://www.DallasNative.com

I would welcome the opportunity to share my great city with you and help you in your home search.

Mary Beth Harrison
The Harrison Group
214-365-6500 office
1-866-433-5678 toll free
214-535-8377 cell
mbh@DallasNative.com
Web Reference: http://www.DallasNative.com
If you want top rated schools, a community with a Mayberry atmosphere, a great location with easy access to major highways, miles of jogging trails, parks, and a place where you'll know your neighbor, Coppell is the place. 15 minutes from DFW airport, 25 to Love Field
Coming from California you might find a green community in Dallas of interest to you and your family. Please let me know how I can help. Stephanie Ebbesen 214-563-5769

White Rock Crossing is located in a desired area by White Rock Lake in east Dallas.
http://WhiteRockCrossing.com/
Many individuals are relocating to the North Dallas area, Plano, Frico, Mckinney & Allen. All good cities for raising a family and all have good schools, albeit a little different. Lots of parks and good outdoor spaces plus sports.

Give me a call and let me know what some of your pricing criteria is and we can visit when you plan a trip.
Also I just noticed everyone said Plano - Allen - Frisco and McKinney... I would definitely say dont be shy about looking east. Rockwall, Heath and Forney.... The places also have great schools are closer to Dallas and your budget typically goes further especially in Forney....
I recommend Plano, Coppell, Carrollton, Flower Mound, Colleyville and Southlake. They all have nice outdoor spaces, the people are friendly and the schools are great! http://plano.gov/Departments/parksandrecreation/Parks/Pages/…
http://www.ci.coppell.tx.us/
http://www.cityofcarrollton.com/
http://www.flower-mound.com/index.php
http://www.colleyville.com/
http://www.ci.southlake.tx.us/
Please contact me. I would love to help you.
Thanks!
Nissa McKeel
Weichert Realtors-Watson & Associates
972-343-8936 cell
lovetosellhouses@gmail.com
There really are tons of great places in and around the DFW area.... It really will come down to what price and size you are looking for and what areas you need to be near for Work.

I would be happy to talk to you anytime about the pro's and con's of different areas and after learning a little more about what you are looking for would be more confident in suggesting areas..

Also I am happy to show relocating buyers many different areas instead of just the area I office out of... I have lived all over the DFW metroplex and am familiar with pretty much all of it.

Sometimes you may find it advantageous to rent in an area first if you have reservations however with prices and interest rates they way they are now it is a really hard time to pass up some of the deals out there.

Please check out my website about some of the nice incentives I provide to Home Buyers. Welcome to DFW... and happy house hunting.

RJ
214-682-0598
Contact my office where I can interview you many questions require answers prior to recommending city and locations

Direct Link for some assistance http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5032805

Are you going to purchase ? If so what are your lender specifications for purchase amount? Which could eliminate some ciites OR area(s) of DFW
Are you intending to rent a property then purchase?
Where are your professioal obligations?
What are your family activities

These are many of questions I need have answered

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Hi there!
You will really enjoy DFW area and will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of living here compared to California! Suburbs of Plano, Frisco, Allen and Prosper all come to mind immediately. Highly rated schools, lovely homes, friendly neighborhoods. The metroplex is very large so the location of your employment will play a big part in the selection in order to avoid long commutes. I would welcome the opportunity to show you around when you plan a visit. I'm actually helping several other families relocate here from California and really enjoy introducing newcomers to our metroplex! There is a "community" tab on my website where you can link to various suburbs, school districts and sports teams to get a good overview. Check it out and feel free to call or email me with specific questions. Hope to hear from you soon!
Susan
You have several great choices that offer top rated schools and loads of activities. Frisco is one that tops my mind. It has excellent schools, sports, shopping, great places to eat, etc. Allen and McKinney also offer similar amenities. Please let me know if I can help in any way! Good luck with your move!