Caligirl, Other/Just Looking in San Jose, CA

Need recommendations for great small community in Sacramento/Roseville. I love my community here. We walk everywhere, great people and great schools.

Asked by Caligirl, San Jose, CA Thu Mar 10, 2011

Now my husband is considering a job in Roseville. Please recommend some great communities for us to consider. We love walking to coffee shops, dining, farmer's market, and our great schools. I prefer older or historic areas, to new communities.My husband even rides his bike to work right now, so we are not used to a 30 minute commute. I think that may be too much to ask of the Sacramento area. Help!

Answers

12
Sacramento has a lot of what you are asking for but is defiantly more URBAN then SUBURBAN compared to the Roseville/Rocklin area.
Not sure of your Financing needs but a quick trip up HWY 65 will put you into Lincoln. This city is still qualifying for USDA 100% financing which is offered to buyers looking to purchase a Primary Residence which sounds like that is your goal and has all that you are looking for in a Community PLUS Lincoln is just getting started so there is tons of growth ahead to provide more for you and your family to enjoy in the near future. IF 100% financing is not what you are interested in then you have great inventory in Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln to choose from.
Cada Vedera is an elite area of Lincoln with a new golf course and a mix of semi-custom and fully custom homes many with Sacramento City views. 12 Bridges is a beautiful community and is the closest to Roseville that would still qualify for the USDA Loans as it is still in the City of Lincoln. Rocklin attaches to Roseville and has a brand new high school that is an amazing campus surrounded by brand new parks and walking areas. Some of the hill tops even have city views.
Any other needs let us know!
Web Reference: http://www.bhrparkplace.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 10, 2011
I think you would be very happy in east sac as well. It is an older community and has many older homes with lots of character. You can walk to many great coffee shops, restaurants, parks and the farmers market is a short bike ride away. You wont be able to ride your bike to Roseville however you will be hard pressed to find the same things you are looking for in that community. The rest of downtown and old sac will offer you good schools and all you want with only a short drive to Roseville. I just moved in to east sac myself and love being able to walk and bike everywhere. You are more then likely going to have to choose between a short commute and being able to walk/ ride places you want to go. I hope this helps! Have a good day!
Web Reference: http://www.danieldeback.com
Hey Caligirl...

When I went into the sales office of a new development back in 1989 here in Folsom the sales guy asked me where I was from... when I told him San Jose... he retorted back to me.. "geez.. half the folks that come in here are from San Jose"...

I think you'll find a lot of people here from the San Jose area..

You'll have to come up here and look around... but you've gotten some pretty good suggestions already...

Come on up this weekend if you can... stay overnight at one of the hotels in the area.. maybe check out 2nd Saturday Art Walk in Sac.. I think they have that in Roseville and Folsom now too...

Anyway... I hope this helps...

Make it a great day...!
There are several dozen homes listed in the oldest parts of Roseville that have character:
I hope this link enables you to look at some:

http://login.metrolist.net/Reports/ReportViewer.aspx?hidMLS=…
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
If you're considering living within Sacramento City limits, you may want to consider East Sacramento. It is made up of many historic homes and adjacent to Midtown and close to parks, quaint little shopping areas, coffee shops, libraries, etc. It's also close to the American River where you can swim or hike/bike along the trails. Since it's close to the midtown/downtown area you're also close to all of the museums, old theatres, farmers markets, and art galleries. I think you would really like it.
Web Reference: http://www.lisajonsson.com
James. You're being a downer.
:)
To be honest it is very difficult to get around without a car in the Roseville area. Most areas of Sacramento are the same. We dont have the same population densities that the bay area has and places are more spread out.
That said, there are some areas that you can find one or two stores close enought to walk or bike to, but you will not find everything in one spot. My wife and I lived and worked in the Nob and didnt have a car the whole time we lived there. We live in Sacramento now and have two cars, it was a must for us to get around. I dont want to be a downer but I want to be realistic.
Caligirl! Great pen name!
In Roseville, there is an older historic section where you will find ranch style homes,sometimes on large lots, and you will find Craftsman type, Bungalow type homes in another area of the same historic section. Unfortunately, you are correct about walking to coffee or biking to work. It's not as easy as areas of San Jose. But it is possible. There is another area in Folsom, undergoing some construction renovations--so sort of a pain to navigate right now--that is also historic with neat, cool, older homes that are fairly easy to walk to coffee, boutique shops etc. But, working in R'ville, and living in Folsom is quite the bike ride!

There are some compromises to be made, but both historic Folsom and historic Roseville are very cute, quaint areas. There is East Sac and Midtown, for living, biking and walking to ALL SORTS of restaurants and shops, but is some 15 or so miles to Roseville for work. But, another option for you.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you want more help.
K
Web Reference: http://www.kyleeonline.com
Hello.
We do have a great older/historic area in Roseville.
There are many great neighborhoods that have older homes. Many have been updated and others are a work in progress. You are surrounded by parks, close to shopping, a new Indoor farmers market is opening, Trader Joes and Starbucks in the same area.

Streets are bordered with large trees and during the summer and fall you feel like you are driving through a
post card.

Bicycle paths are everywhere and your husband could be to work in minutes. Many of my clients ride bikes from Rocklin into Roseville for work.

Areas to the East and West of I-80 around Douglas have the old world charm (and some not so old too :)

Welcome to the Roseville Area.

I am also a bay area transplant up here.
We have loved every minute and the pace makes life more enjoyable too.

Michele Peterson
(916) 743-5934
CallMichelePeterson@gmail.com
I recommend Villemont off of Pleasant Grove. Great location and life style. The sales agent is Emita Hunter. Tell her I sent you and you can get an additional incentive, or email me back and I'll fill you in. Good luck!
David Ohara
Prudential Dunnigan
CADRE 00960824
dwo34@aol.com
Hello Caligirl,

I think something close to the Westfield Mall might work for you...they offer shopping, dining and so much more. Please let me know if you would like a list of homes in that area.
What part of San Jose do you live in now. I used to live in San Jose and it would help to know what you will compare your new neighborhood to. Also, what part of Roseville would your husband's new job be? What will your price range be?
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA