Quality of Life in Denver>Question Details

Heather, Other/Just Looking in Texas

My husband and I are strongly considering relocating from Bryan/College Station, TX to the Denver area.

Asked by Heather, Texas Thu Mar 6, 2008

We have 3 elementary school-aged children and are a very active family. We would prefer a home less than 15 years old, spacious, affordable ($250K-$350K). Of course we want a safe neighborhood, great schools, and a park nearby would be great! We are looking in the Broomfield area but are open to any suggestions.

Answers

16
After selecting the price of your new home, schools are the next most important item to be shopping for. It is great to see that you have mentioned good schools as one of your considerations.

You might want to review some of the national school web sites. They can provide you very specific information, including test scores, about the individual schools in your new community. You can also compare the schools were you are moving from to the schools where you are moving to. This should be very valuable to you in answering which schools are the best for your children.

Be sure to also check out this site - it includes a state report card of various schools.
http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp
http://www.homefair.com/Find_A_Place/School_Reports/

A national database of school demographic information can be found on the National Center for Education Statistics Web site. http://nces.ed.gov/index.asp Click on the "School, College and Library Search" tab at the top in order to view data including a particular school's student-to-teacher ratio or enrollment by race and ethnicity.
For a snapshot of academic performance and to compare schools, a prospective homeowner might browse the School Matters Web site, http://nces.ed.gov/index.asp a service of Standard & Poor's.
Another site, Great Schools, http://www.greatschools.net/ offers similar tools.

I hope these sites are helpful to you in determining the best communities for your family.

As far as neighborhoods to consider. First let me ask where will you and/or your husband be working? I would be able to suggest several good areas when I hear back from you

Or, feel free to call me to discuss this in person.

Best Wishes,
Bill Kosena, ABR, CRS, SRES
Heather...have you considered moving to Colorado Springs with the gorgeous Pike's Peak right in your backyard? The schools here are excellent, and there is so much to do within minutes for an active family. As a Texas A&M former student, who absolutely LOVED living in College Station for 5 years (and also a native Texan), I have still decided that Colorado Springs is one of the best places in the country to live and raise a family. But regardless of where you decide, good luck with finding the perfect home for your family!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 7, 2008
Hi Fellow Texan!
First things first. Are you an Aggie?
I was born in College Station and my sisters are both Aggies.
Colorado is great. I've been here for about ten years and while I do still love Texas, this is home.

I'd love to answer any questions you have, no strings attached.
Let me know if I can help.
Micah Joseph
Heather ~ Broomfield is an excellent area to explore for your new home. It is convenient to both downtown Denver and Boulder. Many people choose the Broomfield location because they work at Interlocken the high tech area to the north. The schools in the city and county of Broomfield are also very good. It is also within the budget you have outlined.

Without knowing more about your situation i.e. where you work it is hard to suggest other areas. If you are commuting to downtown Denver or points up north Broomfield or Erie will be a very good bet for you. If you are commuting to the south metro area, the school districts you should look at are Cherry Creek, Douglas County and Littleton.

Best wishes in your home search. And my I add, Welcome to Colorado!
Heather,

Are you still considering moving to Denver? Check out the 5280 article below.

John Keene
303-547-7578
Heather,

My wife and I recently relocated to Denver with our 3-year old for many of the same reasons. Broomfield is great (Boulder Valley Schools are excellent) but we moved to the Stapleton area of Denver.

I'd love to help you find the perfect home and I believe I have the most powerful search tool available, which has many features that out of state buyers seem to really like. Best of all, it's free and comes with no obligation. Check it out and let me know if you'd like to be enrolled.

John Keene, EcoBroker
Keller Williams
303-547-7578
http://www.livegreen-denver.com
* call to find out how you can live carbon free for 3-years!
Greetings Heather: There are numerous homes available for you-- in your price range.
First step-- is getting your loan approved. For a list of homes in Broomfield and surrounding areas, in addition to a school report for your children-- you can sign up now at FindingTheHome.com.
We would be happy to send you a Relocation Packet as well.
Just curious...

Have you spoken with a lender to map your plan for how you will finance your new home.

Is this a job relocation or simply a change of life and you will seek employment when you arrive here?

Planning is ALWAYS your first step.

Good Luck!!

lance
Heather: For a list of Broomfield Homes-- FindingTheHome.com--and click on free home lists.
Your home list will be sent to you within 24 hours. Broomfield offers an abundance of opportunities for families. Feel free to request a neighborhood report too.

Kathryn Carlson, Licensed Real Estate Broker Owner ,
Bachelor of Science, Realtor, Accredited. Luxury Home Specialist, e-Pro Certified
Memberships: National Association of Realtors,
Colorado Association of Realtors, Denver Board of Realtors, Council of Residential Specialists,
Council of Luxury Home Specialists, Colorado Mortgage Holding Company, Licensed HUD Broker, Denver Metrolist
Homes and Lifestyles of Colorado
_____________________________________________
Finding Your Place Called Home
Cell (720) 226-8199 - Direct (303) 816-9199 - Fax (303) 845-9938
Email: Kathryn@DenverHomeLiving.com
Special Offers, Daily Home Lists, and
Market Conditions: http://www.DenverHomeLiving.com
____________________________________________________
9 Divisions to Serve You:
Luxury Home Living - City Living - Mountain Living -Condo & Town Home Living -
Farm & Country Living - Relocation/First Time Home Buyers - REO Bank Owned & Short Sales -
Income & Investment - Land.

Spring Specials:
* Your Home Sold in 90 Days or $1,000 to You.
* 2.6% Total to Sell Your Home (if you are planning on Buying).

Over 30 Years of Combined Company Experience of Tech/ and Real Estate Sales.
Serving the Entire Denver Metro Region & the Mountains.
Thank Your for Your Referrals of Friends & Family - They are the Life of Our Business.
Hi Heather!

Hope this finds you in excellent spirits!!! Surprised that no-one has mentioned the Cherry Creek school district to you- it is the best in the state statistically speaking that is. Go to the Colorado Department of Education (cde.state.co.us) and find the accountability report to compare schools to Cherry Creek or say Douglas Co. It really depends on your style, your activities and what type of home you are looking for. I am in the south end of the city as some agents mentioned below there are places like Highlands Ranch that are close to the Highline Canal and Chatfield Resv. There is also Cherry Creek Resv. Castlewood Canyon and Cherry Creek out south that offers a lot of recreation- in addition to being in the number one school district in the state. It just really depends on what you truly want at the end of the day. North tends to be a little flat in scenery and I am not experienced in their school districts. They are working really hard to expand in that area. Overall investment- I am sure you would be fine. Ensure that you are taking a close look at comps when making your purchase and ask the agent you are working with to provide you a list of recent foreclosure(s) in the area along with market trends.

I would suggest that you try looking in these areas as well.

Arapahoe County
Douglas County
Jefferson County

Feel free to utilize my website below.

Respectfully,
Sarah Solomon
Broker Associate, REALTOR
Heather - there are some good solutions to your search in Denver homes. By "good schools" I assume you mean academics - The BEST public elementary school in the state is in Jefferson County R-1 Schools, Dennison & BEST secondary public school also in JeffersonCo D'evelyn---take a look at the Jefferson County R-1 web site for specifics. My kids ( a dentist and an accountant) both went to Dennison and transferred to Colorado Academy (since the high school was not conceived at the time)
You can eaisly find a home for the amount you want to spend and I can tell you the $$ reasons you would want to consider this area. If you like parks and recreation - there is no shortage of paths, parks, bike trials, equerstrian trails ----etc.
Broomfiled would not be a bad choice - especailly if your employment is north west. You can also investigate schools on my Showcased Properties Unlimited website
Please let me know if I can be of service to you...thanks
Warren Petracek, GRI, SRES
Broker Assocate, Certified Res. Appraiser
(720)291-5410
Heather: The greatschools.net website is terrific. It will give you schools with the best ratings and has testimonials from parents, etc. You could look in Broomfield, Westminster, Lafayette, Louisville, Arvada and Boulder. Adams 12 and Jeffco school districts are very strong and the Boulder Valley School District is traditionally one of the best in the state. There has been a great deal of new building in Broomfield and parts of Westminster in the past decade, with good sized homes and a commitment to parks and open space from both of those cities. The McKay Landing area in Broomfield is one that might fit your needs. My cousins and their spouses are both living in the area with small children. They've found good homes, near parks and good schools for good prices. Lafayette, Louisville and Boulder are all in the Boulder Valley School District. Great schools, parks and open space in those communities as well. Good luck!
I have some personal exprience with a family member that went to Zerger Elementary in Westminster. It is in the Jefferson County District. Also Adams 12 school district is 5-star district. If you want more information on them you can go to http://www.adams12.org . They are in that general area.

If you want to talk about it more you can email me at chuck@chukknowsdenver.com or call me at 720-251-1578. You can also check out my blog at blog.chuckknowsdenver.com

Take Care...
Web Reference: http://www.adams12.org
How about Highlands Ranch? There are some affordable homes and Douglas County schools with lots of parks and recreation centers. Highlands Ranch is on the south side of the metro area whereas Broomfield is to the north. It might depend where employment is located. Let me know if I can be of help.
I understand your concerns! For great data on schools and more demographics for each area of Denver vist this website: http://www.greatschools.com
Good Luck to you!
What is your draw to Broomfield? Help me get some ideas about what your family is looking for in a location, besides safe and family friendly. Access to trails, Rec centers or colleges? Do you have family in Broomfield? Do you have any idea about where you will work?