Quality of Life in 93401>Question Details

Beach Bum @…, Other/Just Looking in Eagle, ID

My husband and I are retired and looking at Nipomo or Arroyo Grande as a possibility. How good is medical and emergency care?

Asked by Beach Bum @ heart, Eagle, ID Sat Jul 7, 2012

Answers

7
Kelly Sans-Call Me!’s answer

Well Central Coast is an absolutely beautiful place to retire to and I am sure you will love it here! From what I have seen living here for the past 24 years - medical and emergency care is not a common complaint. If you need any further information I would be happy to help you search for your retirement home. Just email or call me at the information below.

Kelly Sans, Realtor®
Century 21 Hometown Realty
1160 Price Street
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Cell: 805.748.9402
Ofc: 805.773.2100
Fax: 805.773.2435
kellysans@C21home.com
http://www.C21Home.com
Just so you know . . . French hospital is among the nation's top 100 facilities, and is a recognized center of excellence for cardiac care. We've had our share of significant health issues (including cancer, heart attacks, and more) and only once did we feel we needed to find an out-of-area medical team to deal with something.

In an emergency, the hospital in AG is easily reached from Nipomo. For nonemergency care, I would select French hospital and work with doctors who have staff privileges there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
Thank you for your reply!
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012
If you are coming from a large city, i.e.: San Diego or Los Angeles, unfortunately you'll find it sorely lacking. The exception being orthopedic specialists which seem to proliferate here in San Luis Obispo County. And, while there are quite a few good orthopedists, many of the other needed specialists are nominal at best. In fact, this is one of the largest drawbacks to this region. Doctors are reimbursed at rural rates, which are less then non-rural areas. Get it? Carefully way out your required (and expected) health care needs before moving here.
Nipomo is covered by county medical response, while Arroyo Grande is a city and has city services (if you live within the city limits). Arroyo Grande also has a hospital. If you are concerned about medical emergency care, it would make sense to live within a city (not county areas) that has a hospital so transport time would be reduced. The City Arroyo Grande sounds like a better option than Nipomo.
Leila Harrington
DRE Broker Lic. #: 01509429
Real Estate Broker, MBA
Mission Country Properties
PO Box 2179, Paso Robles, CA 93447
Office (805) 238-5200 Cell (805) 712-7354
http://www.MissionCountryProperties.com
If you expect to need any substantive medical care, I would be very cautious about moving to the Central Coast. Medical resources here are thin - in part because the county is classified as "rural" for insurance and medicare reimbursement. There are a few bright spots, particularly in the area of cancer care, but most smart people I know go to Santa Barbara or Stanford/USCF for any significant medical issues. CCMongoose
As a Operating Room Nurse for over 25 yrs in the SLO area I can safely say that most people do not go to Santa Barbara! Everyone goes to Stanford for significant issues. Arroyo Grande does not do OB, but due to the dunes and off road recreational areas they are excellent with any Otho, General or other services. Sierra Vista is the head trauma unit with French Hosp. the heart/cath one to go to. We offer more then Santa Barbara as we are a recreational area with lots of trauma in our area. You will get great care here!
Flag Tue Jul 24, 2012
The are doctors who practise in both San Luis Obipso and South County (AG, Pismo, etc). There are newer medical offices and surgury centers as well as Arroyo Grande Hospital and several Med-Stops.

I've been a Real Estate Broker in San Luis Obispo County for 27 years. I cover the entire county and have an office in San Luis Obispo and Shell Beach. Please feel free to call me any time should you have addtional questions or would like a list of homes for sale.

Steve Weiss
Broker Associate/Partner
CornerStone Real Estate
805-886-1404
Thank you!
Flag Sun Jul 8, 2012
Arroyo Grande should have an excellent response time for ambulances and it has a good hospital. Lots of excellent doctors in the area as well. Nipomo is generally more rural and does not have a hospital in the immediate area. Travel time to the AG hospital could be 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic.My experience with EMTs has been excellent in AG and I have heard the same for Nipomo.

If yu'd like more details information about either area, or available homes, please get in touch.

Sonsie Conroy
Coldwell Banker Premier Real Estate
sconroy@cbsanluis.com
805-235-2351
Thank you! After I posted question I realized I should have added it to a different section. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question. ;)
Flag Sat Jul 7, 2012