Pamela M Cul…, Home Buyer in Jacksonville, FL

Murray hill safe for a single 28 year old female?

Asked by Pamela M Culberson, Jacksonville, FL Wed Mar 24, 2010

I am currently looking at a home to purcahse in Murray hill. Lately i have heard that the crime rate is horrible. I am in love with bungalow style homes. I am 28 year old single female, is it safe or is this just a scar tatic?

Answers

6
Pamela,

I live in Riverside and do a lot of sales in Murry Hill, Riverside, and Avondale. Blaine is absolutely right about pockets and streets. There are ways to get around the question of "safe". Where I live in Riverside if I were to pull the crime statistics I would probably never live there. Because I do live there and have experience in the area I can judge better. I like the answer from the appraiser. To add to the other answers, I would suggest trying to meet some of the nieghbors and get their opinions. (It is also a good way to see if you like them.)

Location is not the only consideration. There are a myriad of issues with older homes that you should be aware of. If you go to my website there are links to facts and information specific to older and historic homes.

If you are not currently working with a REALTOR and would like me to help you find a home please call me. Make sure that, whoever you choose, they know the area and the homes well!

You can call me at the number below or gain more information on my website.

Bryan Gates
REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
904 465-5846
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 25, 2010
Hi, Pamala;
As Blaine mentioned below, we can't talk about stuff like that because of all the government rules and regulations. Heaven forbid that we should actually help you find a house where you want to live. Because in the old days Realtors used to "steer" people into certain neighborhoods, laws were put on the books to prevent this type of behavior. These days, with the internet and all, you have the ability to do a lot of research online and in a small amount of time, and get pretty much all the crime statistics, school ratings, avg per capita income and racial mix that you would need to come to a conclusion on your own. Plus, my opinion of an area might be different than your opinion. If you were my daughter, or my sister, would I reccommend you live there? I'm not allowed to give my opinion.
However, I can tell you to go check out the neighborhood in the evening, during the weekend and during rush hour to get a fell for who is outside doing what, how many kids are running around, what the traffic is like and so on. You'll get a pretty good feel that way and by looking at the properties and how they're maintained.
Hope that helps!!
Web Reference: http://www.EricSellsJax.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010

I am a realtor, so we are limited by law in what we can say. The best thing to do is check out the crime and statistics report on

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Uniform+Crime…

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Default.htm

Just cut and paste.

Like all of Jacksonville, there are good areas and bad, sometimes separated by a street or a block or two.

Blaine Rabe
904-874-0814
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010
Generally, yes it is safe. I am 29 live with my husband and two children in Murray Hill and have had no problems. I have lived in Murray Hill since '03 and regularly go for runs by myself in the neighborhood with no problems. That being said, I would generally stay west of Edgewood, East of Cassat. Also, there are some apartments south of Post Street, I would distance myself from. If you would like specific advice on the locale of a house, send me the address.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010
am looking at the block of College St closest to Post, know anything of that block?
Flag Sun Jun 15, 2014
check http://www.crimereports.com

they got a good site for the crime if the local police sends their reports to them.
I have lived in Murray Hill for 20 years and have had no problems at all - in face the neighbors tend to look out for each other