Quality of Life in Denver>Question Details

Rcouch701, Both Buyer and Seller in Denver, CO

MY HOA says I can't put a "For Sale" sign in my unit. Please tell me this is not legal. Without a sign, people walking/driving the

Asked by Rcouch701, Denver, CO Wed Oct 7, 2009

neighborhood won't know my unit is for sale. I would potentially lose a buyer without the sign. Can anyone help?

Answers

15
Hi Rcouch701,

Thanks for your question! Unfortunately you are bound by the HOA's covenants. Ask to see a copy of the covenants and see if there is a work around that you can do. Also, you can ask the HOA what they suggest you do!

Hope this helps!

Ethan Besser
Broker Associate
Keller Williams - DTC
Cell: 303.856.8980
Fax 303.741.4282
ethan@realestatecoloradonow.com
http://www.realestatecoloradonow.com

The Besser Choice in Real Estate!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 7, 2009
Hi Rcouch701m

As previously answered, yes, HOAs can make and enforce those rules. The only way to have that changed is through an amendment to the rules governing your association. This is unlikely to happen quickly, so your focus must turn to how to best market your property.

Whether you are going it alone, or have or will hire a Realtor, internet marketing will be a crucial part of your plan. Excellent copy, accurate description, numerous photos, postings on multiple site, and ......most importantly, monitoring results and feedback. Most buyers are on the internet looking for properties, or their Realtor is looking on the internet for them. Your marketing pieces on the internet must capture the buyer's attention, and that will happen as a result of both proper pricing and exposure. Fall short on either and your ability to sell is compromised.

If other properties in the complex did not have a sign, but yours did not, it would hurt you. Since no properties in the complex do, you are on equal footing with your direct competition.

Most buyers locate properties via the internet, not signs.....so your energies are best focused there.

Deb

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
In my area. most complexes will not allow a sign anywhere.....not in your window, not on your door.......no where.....any infraction is usually met with a letter from management threatenig a per diem fine if the "offense" isn't corrected within a short period of time!
Sometimes I feel like I am in boot camp...constantly being monitored! The funny thing is, though, the rules can change quickly when the people who sit on the borard decide they want them changed !

It's just the way it is. Hopefully Rcouch, you read through your bylaws prior to moving in.
Generally true: HOA 's won't let you put a sign in the common elements of the community. You should be able to post a sign in your front door, porch, window, back window.

Read your HOA rules & regulations. It's what you have agreed to abide by as an owner in that HOA.
Did you get your answer....
Rcouch,
Sounds as if you're marketing your home without a Realtor. Not good. You should at least be able to put a sign in a window to be observed by passersby. If you're doing all the things you should to promote your property, a sign won't make a huge difference. Speak with a Realtor!!!

Tim Klein
Broker
Metro Brokers - The Realty Werks
303.973.7600
Don't worry too much over it, if someone is driving around the neighborhood trying to find a home for sale, they will soon realize there's no signs. Then they will most likely look online for your complex, hopefully they will find it under a website like this: http://10554oakmoorcircle.epropertysites.com/ or they will ask their Realtor to find out what's available in the complex.

I am definitely a big fan of signs, I do believe a lot of Buyer's find their new homes by driving neighborhoods that they like and also by going through open houses. Not having signs makes it much harder for you but perhaps there's a bright side too, maybe in the long run, not having signs is keeping the value of your neighborhood up.

Have you looked to see how many homes are for sale in your complex? Do you know what your competition is?

Good Luck to you, I hope you get it Sold quickly and move on to your new home.

Sandy Kinslow
The Kinslow Team Inc.
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Rcouch,
Hopefully when your agent helped you buy the unit they provided you with the rules and regulations for the complex. I agree with others, if an agent properly assists you in pricing and does outstanding marketing the lack of sigange will have insignificant impact. Let me know if I can help.

Derrek
303-470-9880
derrek.patrick@coloradohomes.com
Rcouch.............I know how you feel. My complex won't even allow a hanging plant...and.....when I have an open house on a listing there, I can't even put directional signs out to show people where to go! These communities can vary in how strict their rules are......but they are rules you must follow. They should be spelled out in your rules and regulations (bylaws) booklet.

This is part of what is involved when living in a townhome or planned community. You have to take the good with the bad.
As others have already mentioned, your home will sell through other means of marketing.......make sure your agent sends "just listed": postcards, though, so that your neighbors do know you're selling.

Good luck................and I hope your place sells quickly!
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Rest assured your home will sell if marketed properly and priced well. Most of the condos I sell have the exact same rules about signage, and it deters noone. The advice so far is right on...GO INTERNET!!! Get a great professional to represent you and they will get word out to the buyers exactly where the buyers are looking.
Hello R. and thanks for your post.

In an attempt to curb the rampant posting of signs within a community of homes for sale, most HOA's governing documents prohibit the posting of signs in the common areas (or the areas outside of your lot or your unit). Check your copy of the CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) or the Enabling Declaration (which is the same as CC&Rs, but titled this way for condominiums) to see what rules have been created that address signs. If the CC&Rs are "silent" as to signage, then the Board of Directors have created rules that prohibit signs from being posted within the community.

However, I understand your concern and, in today's market, your desire to publicize--as much as possible--that your home is for sale. Talk with the Association Manager or the Board of Directors about posting the sign in the window of your home (if a condominium) or within the confines of your lot (if a planned development). The other option, of course, is to ask if there is any area designated within the community where "for sale" signs can be posted. Often there are small patches of land at the front of the community (near a main entrance, for example) where a homeowner or Realtor may post a small discrete sign.

Finally, as the others have already noted, while placement of a sign is very helpful to providing Realtors with "landmarks" to find your home, the truth is that your Realtor can effectively market the property even without the sign. In such cases, I will provide interested buyers with detailed directions to reach the property,and this often helps to locate the unit.

Good luck! Review your governing documents and talk with the Board or the Manager about alternatives to posting a sign on your property.

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Co-Author: Homeowners Associations: A Guide to Leadership and Participation
Like the other Agents said in the other answers you must follow the HOA's Rules.
Brian Burke
ww.kennarealestate.com
I'm sorry to say that if it is in the Rules, Regs & Bylaws, by purchasing you home within the HOA, you agreed to abide by them. I ran into the same issue when I sold my townhome. Although it is frustrating, most homes are not sold by yard signs. They are sold by real estate agents who find your home in the MLS. Don't worry, lack of a yard sign will not prevent a sale! Joetta is right on below. The fastest way to sell your home is by hiring an agent who will immediately advertise it all over the internet. I'd love the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my marketing plan - both on and offline. Do you have time?
Web Reference: http://www.TandemHome.com
Even if they don't allow it, that's the least important part of marketing your house. Something like 80-90% of home buyers search on the internet. So you need to hire an agent who's pours on the internet marketing. That's the highest chance of where the buyer will come from anyway.
You have to check with your HOA on the rules and restrictions to see what is permitted. I would put one in the window so anyone passing by will see it. I hope this helps.