Quality of Life in Modesto>Question Details

Halley S., Home Buyer in New York, NY

Is Modesto good for families with children?

Asked by Halley S., New York, NY Mon Apr 23, 2007

Why or why not?

Answers

11
Rick McGrath, Ph.D, BROKER’s answer
I believe Modesto offers many good opportunities for families and children. From museums to the Galo Center. It is located nicely for day trips to Yosemite, and costal areas, lakes and rivers for fishing and much more. Modesto also offers several large Churches that are excellent. I have lived in Modesto for 22 years, raised 5 children, and I don't see us leaving anytime soon.
My wife Ami was born here in Modesto, and I was raised here in nearby Turlock. We met at Modesto Junior College almost 20 years ago, and we now have a six year old son. He was born in Phoenix AZ, but we chose to return to Modesto to raise him among Modesto's parks, schools, and of course, our relatives. Modesto has received alot of bad press for a few recent high-profile events, but I think the reason is that the high profile events are un-characteristic and un-expected from a community like ours.
Depends on what your are looking for with your family. I personally am looking forward to raising my family here, however if I were a commuter I would recommend somewhere else based on the time you would get to spend with your family. The community itself is well formed grass roots community with lots of ties to farming and is currently morphing into a medical hub on the west coast. Further, Modesto is starting to increase it's general arts and culture in a postive direction. We are a low crime area for the size of population, and there are many other positives when you start to get to specialized areas or neighborhoods. I hope this helped!
Modesto is a great place for kids. I was rasied here. Now my kids have it even better. By the way I have a home for sal ein a great part of town. .....It is a "For sale by owner"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2007
Yes! The city has tons of parks for children and families to enjoy.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 23, 2007
I was born and raised in Modesto and am now raising my 2 sons here. Like all cities, things have changed since "the good ol' days," however Modesto offers many great amenities. My children are receiving an excellent education here, and there is always something to do. There are numerous parks, and many youth sports programs. In addition, it is centrally located to so many places! It is a quick drive to go skiing in the winter, boating in the summer, and adventurous day trips to the Bay Area. It is appropriately named, "the central valley," as we are central to any activity our family chooses to do.
A good city to raise your family.

joe underwood
Titan Fence, Inc.
Between April 23, 2007 and now, I'm thinking Halley already decided if Modesto was good for families with children....IMHO
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 20, 2008
I spent most of my childhood in the surrounding area around Modesto. I moved to Calaveras County about 12 years ago and had 2 children. I live in the small town of Camp Connell and do real estate in Arnold. Having grown up in the valley, I will tell you I live one of the best places(my opinion) to have a family. We ride our ATV's from our house. We take our kyacks to lakes minutes from our house. We have snow in the winter for the kids to play in. The school my children go to is wonderful. The teachers are the fabulous. Every once in a while we even have a bear get into the trash in the middle of the night. Big Trees State Park is about 5 minutes from my house. Bear Valley Skii resort is about 15 minutes up the hill from my house. It's a wonderful community. I grew up in the Modesto and can honestly say Calaveras County is paradise!
After visiting the http://www.modestopolice.com/crimestats petty crime page, I have a friendly Public Service Announcement for those of you who leave your car running, unlocked, in the driveway on cold icy mornings . . . don't do it. Also, please avoid leaving your wallet, phone, or I-Pod on the dash or on a seat with the windows down. Pedestrians, walking in the cold, or walking from the store to a bus stop might feel tempted to take a free ride or grab a free wallet full of cash, or other. Please, be aware of how you leave your stuff around. This will reduce crime occurances in Modesto by 50%.
born and raised here, lived in a lot of areas of modesto and i can tell you not a lot of them are friendly. we have in my opinion numerous areas to avoid. why and why not, gangs, homelessness,and people of lower income and no means of overcoming it. if you stay in the more affluent and well established areas you should be fine.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2007