Quality of Life in Petaluma>Question Details

Stephan, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Is Petaluma good for families with children?

Asked by Stephan, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 23, 2007

Why or why not?

Answers

12
Stephan,
I lived in marin for 25 years, and 5 years ago got married, and moved to Petaluma!
The main difference is its a nice pace, and a great place to raise children. So many great parks, then just a few minuets out the road your in the country feeding the horses. Feels like marin was 25 years ago!
Yes it really is. Lots of parent participation in the schools. I would say this is mostly a family town. Harder to be single here! My kids walked to school every day 3 blocks away. I think it is great to still be able to do that.

Christine Jones
Century 21 Bundesen
707 769-7123
What are the top 5 elementary schools? And what are the best middle and high schools?
Flag Thu Apr 4, 2013
I was forced to move away when my husband received a promotion a few years back, which meant we had to leave Petaluma and move to another area in Northern California. As soon as we could we moved our family back to Petaluma because it IS one of the rare places still left in the U.S. where small town friendliness and family centered activities are still the rule.

Petalumans love their town; the children and teens love their town and it shows. Example: each Halloween, one of Petaluma's most beautiful historic residential streets, D Street, is the place to be. Both adults and children dress in ornate costumes and meander up and down both sides of the Victorian lined street, trick-or-treating at the many gorgeous, gaily decorated mansions. Many of the home owners on D Street give out more than a 1,000 pieces of candy each Halloween and love it.

Once I saw a young teen boy, kneel down on the sidewalk, throw his hands up in the air, and yell "I LOVE this town!" when he looked up the street and saw the huge numbers of costumed trick-or-treaters. In fact, many of the people trick-or-treating on D Street on Halloween night don't even live in Petaluma. They make a point of driving here each Halloween night just to take part in such a fun family orientated quaintly, spooky fall happening with their kids.

Petaluma home prices are VERY affordable right now. Even Petaluma's much-prized "Heritage Homes" in the 94952 zip code are a bargain for the first time in many, many years. It is really an ideal time to buy a large family-sized historic home in one of the best Westside Petaluma neighborhoods, and enjoy living within walking distance of the charming, historic riverside downtown, with it's new multi-screen movie theatre, tons of gourmet restaurants, cafes, boutiques, old-fashioned candy and toy stores & much more.

Historic downtown Petaluma has always been, and still remains, a great place to sit back and watch Petaluma families having a great time in the perfect weather (some of the very best year round temperatures in the Northbay region).
I've lived in Petaluma for nearly 37 years and just had my first child - I wouldn't raise her in any other town!
Petaluma is a fabulous community for raising a family. Most of the elementary schools are award winning and the public support of the school system is phenomenal.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2007
I would say yes. It is very much a family oriented town with different ethnecities and cultures, great schools and lots of fun activities.
This city is perfect for families with children of all ages because of the selection of schools, parks and recreation facilities. The majority of people who live here have children and they moved here because it is a growing city but with a small-town feel. It is still affordable to live in the Bay Area where Petaluma is the ideal spot between San Francisco and the wine country.
It sure is because there are few top graded school districts and lots of families with different ages have moved to this town for the sake of the schools. Very family oriented and you can see the parents are attrnding every functions with their childeren. Also different ethnicities has brought different flavour to the town.
Petaluma is definitely a great place to raise a family. It offers many family oriented activities and clubs such as Little League Baseball and Pop Warner Football. There is truly 'something for everyone' in Petaluma.
This is a fabulous city for families with children. The schools are great and most of us are very involved with the activities our kids are doing. Petaluma is definitely a great community to raise a family.
Many move here to start their families or to move their families to a 'better' area. Schools are generally good and there are lots of city sponsored sports. The Boys and Girls club has 3 locations so after school care is available. Many day care centers -- some part of the business parks -- make it easier for parents to work. While this is considered a bedroom community of San Francisco, there is good employment opportunity in this county and in Petaluma. The Healthy Community Consortium, Big Brothers & Sisters, MentorMe Petaluma, and Leadership Petaluma all exist to help children and the community-at-large. Many non-profit and service organizations are community oriented. (e.g. Rotary has 3 or 4 chapters here, Kiwanis, Elks, Odd Fellows, AAUW, Business &Professional Women, Soroptomists, and numerous church organizations)
Petaluma is a great city for families. The schools are well established and the public education system is phenomenal. There are a lot of activities for families and the community feel is incredible. The quality of life in Petaluma is exceptional. Our year-round temperature is about 70 degrees. Petaluma is less than an hour to San Francisco. Petaluma is 30 minutes to the coast and 3 hours to Lake Tahoe.