Quality of Life in Sarasota>Question Details

J.P., Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Is Sarasota good for families with children?

Asked by J.P., Tampa, FL Mon Apr 23, 2007

Why or why not?

Answers

15
Hi J.P.

I raised my 2 daughters in WNY and had to do a bit of homework when I came down here and had to answer such question from some of my buyers. I can tell you that I am indeed extremely impressed by what is available to the youth here in Sarasota/Bradenton. I am sure that my daughters would have loved it here as much as they did it up north. Here is a site that you might want to look at if you are concerned about schools.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/FL

and if you go to my site, you will a lot of what Sarasota has to offer.

Michel

P.S. Feel free to contact me if you need help with real estate

941-806-7063
Sarasota is a fabulous place to raise children. My youngest son of my five grew up here and has a strong group of friends still in the area even though they are scattered about the country in different colleges. Children prosper in the great weather and tend to spend lots of time outdoors engaging in physical activities-from playing at the beach as youngsters to golf as developing teens.
There are seven universities in the surrounding area with an accent on creativity and further seeking of learning that are also influential on development. Kids are encouraged to participate in life here whether through volunteer efforts or participation in all the activities available through their schools and their community.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 6, 2008
I think Sarasota is a wonderful place to raise children. I have three kids and live in Sarasota county. The school system is very good and there are plenty of activities for the kids. I live in North Port which is in the southern part of Sarasota county.
Web Reference: http://www.twomoores.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 31, 2007
My daughter grew up here and now she lives in Rochester. She often tells me how much she enjoyed growing up in Sarasota. We have some wonderful schools here. Over the years, Sarasota has become "younger". The Bradenton area, east of I-75, called Lakewood Ranch is a terrific area for families too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 20, 2007
I'll be spending the month of July in Sarasota with my 13 yr. old daughter. I would like to involve her in a summer program - tennis, golf, or drama. Are you aware of any programs that would be fun for her. We're thinking of moving to the area next year and I would love for her to get to know some people her own age.

Ronnie
I moved here with a 7 year old and a 2 year old.

Now they are 14 and 9 and I can honestly say that Sarasota is a fantastic place to raise them. The school systems are great. The beaches are playgrounds and science labs! There are so many places to explore, not to mention Mote Marine, GWIZ, etc. Our kids are so lucky to have nature at their doorstep.

The other thing I feel is so wonderful is this - my kids have always been able to run out the front door and play with their friends. We have football games on the yard. They ride bikes, play tag. All those things so many kids dont do because their parents are worried - but with so many kids here, they run in gangs and are experiencing childhood like they should!

I HIGHLY recommend the area.
Web Reference: http://www.TrueSarasota.com
Where do you live in Sarasota we moved down from NY and are renting an apt in Palm Harbor but are looking to buy a house in Sarasota with kids we have a 12 year old so that would be good if you could give us some suggestions we would appreciate it greatly
Flag Tue Jan 13, 2015
We are so fortunate to actually live in Paradise. Where else in the world can you live and be within 20 minutes of a world class museum - like Ringling - Selby Gardens, Mote Marine, and the best beaches in the world. And top that off with "A" rated public and exceptional private schools, as well as outstanding health care.
I am a fifth generation Floridian with four children. After living in Atlanta for 30 Years, my husband and I decided to move the family back to the Sarasota-Bradenton area, as we wanted them to have a better education & quality of life than they could get in Atlanta. That was 14 years ago...and one of the best decisions we could have made for our family.
Good luck to you, and feel free to call if you ever have questions regarding a move to Sarasota or Bradenton, FL.
Julie A Mahle
Pierce Properties, Inc.
941-685-0030
Julie@PiercePropertiesInc.com
J.P. As you can see from all the answers the other agents have given you, Sarasota is a fabulous place to live and raise your children. There are many excellent public and private schools in the area. As a parent, myself, I would pick Sarasota for my family. It is a city you can get your arms around, there is lots to do for every age group - much of it is free, like our famous Siesta Key Beach - plus we have a very low crime rate. Yes, some people still leave their doors unlocked. Our communities caters to the young professional with children and most of our neighborhoods have lots of kids around. Be sure to keep Sarasota on your "short list.". Our web site shows all that Sarasota has to offer. Check it out!
Web Reference: http://greniergroup.com
J.P.

Sarasota has a true committment to today's youth. From an educational perspective the Sarasota county School District offers a highly regarded program for gifted students. Pineview School is a grade 2-12 program that has caught the attention of educational leaders across the country as a model.

Programs like these don't happen by accident....they are a result of true devotion to helping students achieve to the best of their abilities.

The"Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
Venice, Fl 34286
ecklerteam@comcast.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Yes, Sarasota is wonderful for families with children, My daughter & 3 grand kids live in Sarasota.
There are unlimited things to get the kids involved in. Call me and I'll tell you the best neighborhoods.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 27, 2007
Sarasora County is one of the BEST spots in the United States, if not world to raise children. The schools are ranked nationally and are top notch for the state of Florida. Riverview offers a visual and performing arts program, Pineview is a for the gifted, and children have to TEST to get in, but EVERYONE has the opportunity to apply being that it is public. The Sarasota YMCA in addition to their swimming program offers everything from Exercise and Nutrition, climbing program, to a teen and tween building for recreational activity such as pool, ping pong, video games, educational games, etc. The beaches in the area are to die for, and remmbering back to when I was a child I would have LOVED to have grown up in an area that offers SO MUCH outdoor activity and stuff going on. Fishing, Scuba, kite boarding, cycling, camping, etc. We have not even begun to scratch the surface, and can provide a relocation package for you shall you be interested. John Peirano - Broker Associate - Michael Saunders and Company. 375-6864.
Web Reference: http://www.24-7team.com
Sarasota is one of the BEST places to raise children! From physical activities to community involvement to school programs - Sarasota brings out and cultivates the best that each child chooses to be. The swim teams at the local Y's are some of the best in country. The Sarastoa sailing squadron teaches boys and girls sailng techniques that lead to sailing scholarships around the world. Schools such as Riverview and Pine view have some of the toughest and most academically challenging programs in the state. And then there are the programs that are just plain fun to be involved with...the list does not stop!
I would say that Sarasota is only adequate for families with children. Do not move here without a pool. During the summer months swimming may be the only outdoor activity you can get your kids to do. The heat keeps a lot of kids inside playing video games and watching tv. Another factor is that unless you can afford a home with a large yard outdoor play is somewhat limited. On the plus side, the beach is nice, but red tide is prevalent in the hot months. The bottom line is that if you move here you'll come to love the cooler months.
Great question! North Port FL is in Sarasota County. There are many real estate options for familes in North Port FL. Right now is a great time to buy in North Port FL. Check out the sarasota county school district website to find out about North Port schools. Please contact me if you would like to explore North Port real estate further!
Families and children are very much involved in the region. In fact, Sarasota has some of the best public and private schools in the State of Florida. There are so many activities for young people to participate in. They include: water activities, sailboat schools, skate parks, outdoor sporting activities, arts training and many others.