Insh, Home Buyer in 07302

Is there still a smell from the Sewage Treatment Plant at certain times (or anytime) in West New York & what's the status of the odor?

Asked by Insh, 07302 Sun Jul 10, 2011

control repairs? I read an article about a year ago reporting that the West NY Sewerage Plant had odor control issues which resulted in the surrounding areas (cliffs & waterfront) smelling terrible during time when the waste was taken outside. The Plant was supposed to have put odor control barriers in place late last summer. Has anyone in West NY area noticed the smell has gone away or is it still there? Did the Plant install the barriers or change operations to reduce the smell? Is this a permanent issue that hasn't gotten resolved or was it resolved last summer? Any updates on this issue would be appreciated. I am looking to buy a home on the cliffs somewhat close to the Plant.

Answers

3
The answer is yes. The real question is how much does it actually bother you. You have to figure that out for yourself.
The smell is still present. I live in west new york and the smell is very strong on boulevard east @ 65th street. Depending on the direction of the wind, you could smell it along blvd east a few blocks north and south.
I have no direct experience to comment specifically but do have a recommendation---for this or ant other matter that will affect quality of life and future resale, test it out yourself by visiting the area at different days/times. Make your decision with eyes - and nostrils - open!
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com