Quality of Life in Dallas>Question Details

Trulia Dallas, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Is the downtown homeless problem getting worse?

Asked by Trulia Dallas, Dallas, TX Tue Mar 27, 2012

Answers

1
I have lived and worked in Downtown Dallas for 8 years now and I have not noticed anything different about the homeless in a negative way. You will see visable signs of the homeless for sure...
1. They sell the Streetzine Magazine which helps the homeless get back into the work force. You can sponsor a homeless person by buying 60 papers for $15. Buy a Streetzine Magazine the next time you see someone selling a paper on the corner in downtown Dallas. You will be helping a homeless person and the newspaper is very informative of the homeless in Dallas and in America. In addition there are very good articles on all kinds of topics. I love the Streetzine Magazine.
2. Downtown Dallas has the Downtown Safety Patrol. I have their phone number in my cell phone just in case I need to call and report anything in downtown that doesn't seem right. They will answer and then a dispatchwer will dispatch the call to one of our downtown Safety Patrols who will ride their bike to the location you are concerned about.Concerns can be about anything including any issues that the homeless may be causing. (drinking in public, etc)
3. The homeless have some very good resources on the south side of downtown Dallas. The Bridge, The Soup Kitchen and some other homless shelters.
4. Downtown Dallas has a law that the homeless cannot panhandle but the homeless have been known to walk up to me and ask for money.
5. Downtown Dallas has one building already that has been renovated into residential apts to help relocate the homless who have sought help to get into housing and there is another building on the way. I also I read just recently (in Streetzine Magazine) that a church has bought a building to help the creative side of the homeless that will have a place to creat art and music.
I would say that downtown Dallas is on it's way to help the homeless more and more and I believe that our homeless population is being taken care of by many resources here. I have made friends with some of my homeless neighbors and have kept in touch with them and have seen them go from homeless to having a home and recieving mental health care and more., I have seen them go from hopeless to hopeful. The homeless are people just like you and I...they just need help and sometimes someone to talk to and someone who will listen and treat them with kindless and respect. I would say that are homeless are getting better not worse. There are volunteer opening available at The Bridge and other homeless resource centers so you can help make Downtown Dallas a better place to live. :)