Quality of Life in Vancouver>Question Details

Ron Peterson, Home Buyer in Vancouver, WA

Is tap water hard in Vancouver requiring a water softener for dishwashers?

Asked by Ron Peterson, Vancouver, WA Tue May 18, 2010

I don't like the cost and inconvenience of a water softener.

Answers

2
Thanks Gloria. I was able to determine that the water hardness for Clark County is about 6 grains which makes a water softener a good idea to extend the life of water heaters and their efficiency. Portland, OR doesn't use wells, so their water is soft.

Currently, my tap water is at 18 grains, making a water softener a necessity for dishwashing.
Hi Ron.....I have lived in vancouver....well a long time. My family settled here in the early 40's. I have never used a water softener in my dishwasher.

There are a few homes, that have "whole home water softener systems", but it is a relatively insignificant number, and few find the water here to be a problem. Most homes dont event have water filters at the kitchen sink. My 89 yr old mother INSISTS on drinking the tap water for the mineral content and is convinced that she is healthier for it.

So...in short, i dont consider the water quality here an issue at all...in fact most would say the water here is good..even excellent.!! The water is sourced from artesian wells.

I've attached a link to the water quality report, from the city.....