Quality of Life in Boston>Question Details

Trulia Boston, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Is living in North End noisy?

Asked by Trulia Boston, Boston, MA Tue Mar 20, 2012

Answers

8
I totally agree with others that noise is a relative term and what I consider noisy you may not, etc. I'm answering this as a past resident to give you my experiences :) I lived in the North End, on the water side of Hanover Street years ago. Yes, I did think it could be noisy but the energy of living amist all of the activity and an amazing community made it worthwhile for me! I loved living right one one of the major streets and having everything right outside my door. My biggest issue was actually the garbage trucks coming around overnight... sometimes 2-4AM in the morning. My apartment was on the 3rd floor and my room was right on the street. In the summer, it would startle me awake! I think if you pay attention to the placement of your apartment and your bedroom, you won't notice the "noise" so much. In your apartment hunting, make sure you find an agent that has experience renting in that area of town. Apartments move quick there!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 20, 2012
Does a sack of flour make a big biscuit?

On the other hand, Cousin Vinnie slept soundly once he was in the noisy jail, in "My Cousin Vinnie".
It depends on what you are used to.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 21, 2012
Noisy is a relative term and the North End is certainly bustling with activity from all the great things to do in the neighborhood. But it also depends on the home itself and exactly where it is located. I have a great one bed right on Prince St. You would be amazed how little noise comes through from the street and the bedroom is in the rear. You can learn more about it at http://ksnyder.buysellboston-metro.com/listing/mlsid/18/prop…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 20, 2012
Depends on where. There are lots of very nice one way streets that are fairly quiet. But - you are in the city, so you should be expecting some level of noise as any other urban location. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else. masha@preservationproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 20, 2012
It depends on where you live in the North End, but generally I would say yes. Between the tourists, dining crowds, Harley riders, close proximity of buildings, and the feasts in the month of August, the North End is one of the more active and bustling neighborhoods of Boston. One downside of the activity is the noise.
If you'd like to discuss options in the North End that are less noisy, I'd be happy to help.

Matthew Gaskill
Residential Sales and Leasing
Gibson | Sotheby's International Realty
556 Tremont Street | Boston, MA 02118
m 617.960.7338
matthew.gaskill@sothebysrealty.com
Web Reference: http://magrealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 20, 2012
You are in the city and depending on where you are in the North End can make a difference. Spend some time there and see if it is something that you can live with.
Noisy is a relative term.
It can be. You just have to use common sense. Sure Hanover Street is going to be rowdy. Look around to see how many restaurants are close by and you should get a good idea of the noise level. At the same time there are plenty of one way streets that are tucked away and are likely pretty quiet.