Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Is it rude to ask my next-door (apartment) neighbor not to smoke near my bedroom window?

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Wed Apr 17, 2013

Answers

4
If you are sensitive to smoke ... tell your neighbor....you know the layout of the apartment...
be diplomatic by suggesting alternative areas where your neighbor can smoke.
not if you ask nicely.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 19, 2013
Today's smokers have become educated to the needs of other thanks to the smoking regulations. I for one can relate since I hyper sensitive to smoke and can smell it from inside others peoples cars, on the clothing of others, outside my home, etc.

Rude? absolutely not...but understand that are other ways of dealing with this issue as well. Simply shutting a window in their presence should send an unspoken message that you are having an issue. Any individual sensitive to the needs of others will get this loud and clear.

Considering placing a fan in the window that blows the air outward should make a difference as well.

Above all, advocate for yourself but do so in a diplomatic and sensitive manner that takes into consideration their needs as well.

No more rude than it is for your neighbor to smoke near your bdrm window :)