Quality of Life in Zachary>Question Details

Lee, Other/Just Looking in

Is a copy of the paid off deed recorded at the courthouse?

Asked by Lee, Sun Aug 10, 2008

I am divorced and my ex-husband has the paid off title for our home. I may not be able to get a copy from him. I would like a copy for my records.

Help the community by answering this question:


For East Baton Rouge Parish, the following are numbers and departments that will be of use to you:
For tax assessment. call 225-389-4810
The Clerk of Court and Public Service is 225-389-3950
The Mortgage Department is 225-389-3975
Call these people before going down there... it will be a much easier process. May not even have to make a trip to court house. Location of court house is 222 St. Louis St.
This should make it quick, simple, and stress free to get a copy.
Suzanne L. Lancaster, Realtor
Zachary, Louisiana
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 11, 2008
Hello Lee. When a loan is paid off in full, usually the lender will record a deed of reconveyance, but the recording does not happen instantly. Some lenders are faster than others when it comes to recording the deed of reconveyance and these days, I can imagine that prompt recording is not on the top of the lenders' priority list at all as they are very busy trying to stay in business. It would therefore not surprise me if the lender had to be reminded to record the deed.

Once the deed is recorded, you can certainly obtain a copy for your records. Depending on how much time has gone by since your ex-husband paid off the house, he may not have a copy of the deed of reconveyance himself as he will not receive a copy until the lender has recorded it. If your name was on the loan, you may be able to request that the lender also send you a copy. Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 10, 2008
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA
Yes..go to the courthouse and get a copy...and also check with the mortgage company and get a statement from them.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 10, 2008
In VA it is, I assume it is recorded at all courthouses. Actually, I am going to say "supposed to be recorded" at all courthouses. Very often, when we go to closing there is an "unreleased" deed that has to be cleared up prior to closing. So, very often these are not being recorded. If your name was on the loan, you should also be able to contact the lender for proof. With banks going out of business everyday, I encourage you to make sure you have a copy and the courthouse has a copy.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 10, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer