Quality of Life in Topsfield>Question Details

Christine, Home Buyer in Danvers, MA

Is Topsfield, MA a gay friendly town?

Asked by Christine, Danvers, MA Sun Jul 20, 2008

Answers

15
Please do not construe my comments about Topsfield in a negative light. I am only attempting to describe the general vibe of the town. I have lived in Topsfield for sixteen years and have found it and its institutions to be a welcoming to all. Recently, I sold a home to a married couple (men) with two children. The only comment I received from a neighbor was "it's about time, this town needs all the diversity it can get." They were also thrilled that the children were going to have a horse and offered that they boarded horses and asked that I pass that along. My only point was that for fine dining, music, movies and such you must take the short drive to a neighboring town or travel the 20 miles to Boston. A small inconvenience/ trade off for those of us who enjoy Topsfield's amenities.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 4, 2009
Our view on this is that the right community is one that open its arms to all people.....regardless!!!!

Can you think of a better place?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 4, 2009
TerritoryRE Here is mass law

Housing Discrimination

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AGO enforces state and federal statutes prohibiting housing discrimination based on a person’s membership in one of the following protected classes:
Race
Color
Religious creed
National origin
Ancestry
Sex
Marital status
Veteran status
Age
Handicap/disability
Sexual orientation
Children
Public assistance

Following Laws and using ethics is the correct thing to do. Territory, Dogs are not a protected class.

Patrick Bi is a protected class in mass whether you agree or not. It is funny that you don't want to be disciminated against and yet you disciminate.so stay off the soapbox
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 4, 2009
Lynn from Dallas, TX back with "per code of ethics" ... do you ever say anything else? hilarious.

interesting questions of which I am sure you can answer by doing a little bit more research online about local communities with-in that town.

Good luck! And I hope the answer you find is "yes" :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 21, 2008
gay friendly as in what manner?

When I see a man in a mall, how would i know what sexual preference he has?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 20, 2008
I wouldn't touch this question with a ten foot pole.
For the most part, Topsfield is socially liberal. Lack of diversity is an issue of concern to many parents of school age children. The high school, Masconoment does have a GLBT club and at least one openly gay teacher who is liked and well respected. Respect for differences is encouraged throughout the educational system. In general the community has lots of activities centered on youth, community and church. There is no active nightlife, no bars or restaurants other than pizza/roast beef places. Two years ago the town approved 3 beer and wine sales licenses. Prior to then the town was dry. If one were looking for nightlife, one would have to travel to adjacent towns ie. Danvers, Beverly, Ipswich etc. However, if you are looking for a small town with a great library, good educational system, a community feel, close proximity to state parks, nature (deer, wild turkeys....) wonderful walking/running routes, low crime but close to major commuting routes -Topsfield would be a great town to live in. If you would like more info, visit my website http://www.massachusettsnorthshorehomes.com for links to Topsfield and North Shore sites.
I moved to Topsfield in 1974 at 18, I was forced to be nice to my neighbors, by my family and attend a local Halloween party, I planned on a hi and bye appearance but it turned out to be the best drag party I have ever been to..The Dj was from a Brookline Club it was catered by a guy's family whom I had my first crush on, when I was 14, he was dressed as a female flight attendant didnt realize he was gay.. So from the outside appearance of the nice family town their has always been a low profile friendly international vibe, I have lived in New York and probably had more gay and lesbian friends in Topsfield then anywhere...Close to Plum Island, Salem and Newburyport too.. Good Luck
Where was this party when I was growing up in Topsfield? Okay I was only 8 in 1974. But grateful to learn that Masconomet is opening up to be more GLBT friendly!
Flag Wed Nov 28, 2012
As a gay realtor I found the answers on this page amusing to say the least. It's funny how our federal government considers race, religion, sex, marital status, etc., a "protected" class (and that includes steering and redlining) but legally it is the individual states who choose whether to "protect" the rights of gay, lesbian and transgender people. (No, I don't consider "bi" to be a viable lifestyle. Look at Anne Heche.) But it's partially because of the attitudes prevalent in our wonderful country (which start with our brilliant leaders) that make asking questions like this necessary. Generally, our country has progressed--For instance, in Seattle the "gay ghetto" is being replaced as the gays scatter and have long been accepted everywhere, though the original "hood" is still here and is still the first place I recommend to my gay clients. Other ways we have progressed include the fact that employers can't refuse to hire a woman because she's married, or pregnant, or the wrong ethnicity. But according to the feds--If she identifies as lesbian it is perfectly ok to deny her a job, or housing. No one chooses to be a certain race, and no one chooses to be gay. But I would argue that religion IS a choice, so why is that protected? G/L/T people have long been TARGETED by bigots and closet cases so I have no problem "steering" them to a place where they'll be accepted and feel safe.

Sorry, got on my soapbox. The best way to get an answer to this question is to find a gay realtor who works in the area you're interested in.
LOL

The side stepping of this question by most responders has been side splitting.

It is funny that RE agents refuse to take a stand at all because they claim to not be able to steer buyers into a specific area. That is a a load. I have been told be every RE agent I have ever worked with about how wonderful for kids, or young couples, or dogs, or whatever a town is. Is it somehow NOT steering when all that is said is positive?
Hi Christine,

Realtors do need to be careful about "steering" buyers into specific areas, or away from specific areas. All of us share the freedom in this country to live wherever we want, irregardless of the "community profile." Any good realtor will suggest you explore g/l/b/t organizations and social clubs in the Topsfield area as a way to find out how "gay-friendly" it would be for you. You might find it most helpful to speak with a gay realtor in the Topsfield area. There are many gay realtor websites... but here are a few: gayread.com, gayrealtynetwork.com, gay2gayrealestate.com, gayrealestate.com, gayrealtynet.com

Best of luck in your search!

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts and New York
Berkshire Property Agents
Hello Christine- I see that you're from Danvers, so I'd think that you would know a bit about Topsfield. But, I'll offer a few words- unofficially. I worked in Topsfield for over 4 years, and actually built a few homes in town.
I would estimate that it is borderline/ average regarding the atmosphere that you're interested in. Its a relatively family-oriented town and an upper-middle class town- if that helps any.
It is overall a very nice town.
If I can help in some manner, please let me know. Good luck and thanks,
Ken L.
Network with others within the gay community; they would be the best ones to answer your question.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Thanks for visiting Trulia allowing us professionals here assist you. Real estate professionals per code of ethics can’t make comments on where person should live. However are there not specific websites that for the alternative lifestyle provide answers for you?
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com