Jay Scott, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Is Lemon Grove, ca a safe community?

Asked by Jay Scott, San Diego, CA Thu Jun 21, 2012

Answers

8
Cindy Davis’ answer
Agreeing witht he below responses, allow me to add one more useful website to the mix:http://www.crimemapping.com/

Be mindful that agents are not legally allowed to say that one place is safe and another is not...that's why we are offering you tools to research your own answer.
Oh boy people with rose colored glasses. I grew up and lived in Lemon Grove for 40 years. There are no violent crime reports because if someone gets shot the cops try real hard not to show up. We had someone get shot in front of our home and 30 people had to flood the sheriff with calls before they would show up. There is a HUGE drug problem, I'd watch the house you live in or buy because there are tons of "cook houses" all over.

Watch out for the homeless that sleep inside the doorways up and down broadway they will attack you. Lemon Grove is little TJ. There is a lot of stuff that goes on that NEVER gets on tv or that you hear about. I suggest plenty of trips to the neighborhood you want to buy in at all different times of day and on weekends. Just drive around, park and walk the area when you are looking at a home and above all LISTEN to what's going on because it can be quiet on a Tuesday night but Friday/Saturday you could be faced with all night ragers or neighbors who throw fireworks over your fence trying to set you on fire.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
I agree! I've lived here in LG on and off for 40+ years. I'm here now (not by choice). It used to be a chill place about 20 years ago but it has gotten progressively worse. Everything you say is correct about the police and Broadway. I won't go anywhere near downtown LG at night. Hoodlums, bums, and drug addicts galore.
Flag Tue Feb 10, 2015
Hi Jay, I was able to participate in a very productive meeting two weeks ago in Lemon Grove with local business owners, city council, chief of police and home owners too….based on statistics from different sources there are no violent crimes reported and most of local people consider Lemon Grove as peaceful city to live in.
You are wrong. In the past 6 months I have heard 2 gunshots from neighboring houses. NO police cars showed up. Might have been because no one called bc it's just a common occurrence.....
Flag Tue Feb 10, 2015
There are no police in Lemon Grove the San Diego County Sheriff has jurisdiction and patrol and there are only TWO cops for the entire city and 4 traffic officers.
Flag Thu Feb 6, 2014
Myself and my extended family of approximately 150 people have lived in this area since the late 1800's and none of us to my knowledge have been victims of any violent crime... So, yes this is a peaceful, bedroom community... Safe and sound...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 17, 2013
The "Golden" area is the best and quietest in Lemon Grove. But I'd stay away from Grove Street, and any area close to the trolley. Constant activity. (I live in the Golden area). Golden Avenue.
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
Hi Jay,
Safe is a subjective term. I agree with the Sheas. IMO every community has it's good and bad parts.

Thanks!
Sinead McAlliste
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
Thanks Sinead, your advice has always been sound with regards to this kind of question.
Flag Thu Jun 21, 2012
Hi Jay,

There are two things that almost every agent would recommend in this case:

1. Go to the area where you are thinking of living, drive the area and then get out and walk around if you feel safe from your drive.

2. Use the area crime statistics website. You can find them using google, crime statistics for Lemon Grove. You will find everything you need to know.

Best to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego