Quality of Life in Laurel>Question Details

Sara Groome, Renter in Broadview Heights, OH

Is Laurel, MD family friendly and affordable?

Asked by Sara Groome, Broadview Heights, OH Tue Mar 12, 2013

Answers

15
Vitaly Petrov’s answer
Laurel is good place
if you have a kids, you can check schools rating or contact with me
I can send you some information.
With respect
Vitaly Petrov
Lagret Real Estate
443-449-9883
http://www.Vitaly4U.com
We've lived in the Laurel, MD area for over 20 years, raising my four children and taking an active role in the community. We moved here for just those two reasons: a family friendly community and affordability and great schools. It has offered us a wonderful quality of life.
Sara, overall, Laurel is a family friendly little city. But like all cities there are areas that are more family oriented than others and areas that are pricier than others. It's affordability depends in part on your lifestyle and expectations, i.e. if you are looking for housing around $200K or less you'll be looking at townhouse style condos, a few townhouses (fee simple) that may require cosmetic repairs, etc.. in the PG and Howard County parts of Laurel --and you would have to be selective of the neighborhood. But reasonably a $250 - $350K or so is the "sweet spot or price range(zone)" for a single family detached home in a family oriented neighborhood with reasonable safety in any of the three counties in Laurel.
Shianna tobin, mongomery in laurel,md
no laurel is a friendly community but the prices for places here are to expensive..
No Laurel is a great community for familys ,but its very exspensive too high
It depends on which county you are looking in Sara, Laurel is in 4 Maryland Counties (Anne Arundel, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George's County.

Prince George's-cheapest
Anne Arundel-next in line
Howard/Montgomery- can change with the location of home by one street

I am in the Howard County Laurel area $2500 a month for a 3bd 2.5ba, 2 car garage with flex room in lower level. Hope this helps you out.
Hi Sara,

Laurel offers a lot. As previously noted parts of Laurel is located in three different counties and close to U of Maryland and shopping with quick access to DC, Columbia, Annapolis and Baltimore.

I believe Laurel is family friendly with children medical center right near in Laurel Lakes. In terms of affordability that always varies depending what is your definition is. I would say yes given the price of surrounding communities.

need more info visit my site
Hi Sara,

Laurel, Maryland is located in Prince George's County. Laurel has a population of 26,356 and has shown 23.1% growth since 2000. Of the 10,976 households in Laurel, 53.5% are owned, 39.0% are rented and 8% are not currently occupied. The median age of homes in Laurel is 21 years and 29.0% of the homes have been occupied by the same residents for more than 5 years.

Laurel is located in Anne Arundel, Prince George's and Howard counties. Thus, you are able to choose the area that best meets the the needs of your family, including schools for your children. You will find a wide range of homes with very affordable prices and lovely communities.

What makes you interested in the Laurel, Maryland area? I would be more than happy to address additional questions you may have.

Bridgette
"At Your Service"
Hi Sara,

I have always loved that name. I am going to tell you things that I bet no one else on this site would ever tell you but with a little investigation you can learn that I am telling the truth.

I think it is very important that you understand exactly how your prospective neighbors think so lets begin with the politics of the state.

Maryland's voters are overwhelmingly in favor of gambling, gay marriage and are now flirting with legalization of marijuana, driver’s licenses for illegal border runners and abolishment of the death penalty even for people who could enter your house and do whatever they want to you and your family without fear of severe punishment.

Maryland also has the most restrictive self-defense laws in the country and vigorously prosecutes people who defend themselves against attackers.

Many areas in Maryland are very depressed and the true unemployment and under employment figure is closer to 24% than the government published number of 7.9%. Maryland's economy has become stagnant if not regressive. Many businesses as well as federal agencies have excellerrated their timeline to leave the state. Prospects for employment are poor at best and with the implementation of Obama Care they will become even worse.

While Maryland schools are touted as the best in the nation by some studies, upon close inspection you should learn that a significant percentage of graduates cannot do simple math, speak English or apply critical thinking in real life situations.

In my personal experience with the public school system, parents have absolutely no control of what information is being presented to their children and are in fact treated like second rate citizens.

The state approved school books are all written by state propagandists with a far left slant and if you do not have any idea what your children are being taught (or Not being taught), it is only a matter of time before they will be telling you that you are out of touch and need to be re-educated.

I personally cannot see how Maryland could offer a bright future to anyone and many others must think the same as me since the population is decreasing while surrounding state populations are increasing.

So, if you want an honest look at Maryland, it was once a great place to live and raise your family.

If you just want a cheap house and really couldn't care less about anything else then Maryland is the place for you.
I have lived in Laurel for 17 years. I really like it here. I don't have kids but I feel like it is a nice place to live. Laurel is located in 3 different counties so you can chose which county schools best fit your needs if you have children. With the new multi use mall being built on Rt. 1 Laurel will have a greater choice of retail and residential units close to everything.

Chuck Hajjar
All Homes Realty
301-775-0786
Hi Sara,

Laurel is easily commutable to both Washington and Baltimore. Compared to other nearby areas like Severn, Odenton and Crofton, Laurel has a much more urban feel to it. We have rented and sold many homes in the area and would be happy to connect you with some families that could give you input.
It depends upon what part of Laurel you're talking about. The Howard County part of Laurel is very popular due to its great schools, and I consider it more family friendly than either the PG or Anne Arundel County parts of Laurel. You should visit them all to get your own take, of course. Call me if you want to talk or if you need a mortgage pre-approval.
Dear Sara,
Many communities in Laurel offer pools, playgrounds, parks, paths and more. Affordability varies since Laurel spans several counties: Howard, Prince George's and Anne Arundel Counties. With these counties comes varying property taxes, impacting your purchasing power. For example, Anne Arundel County side of Laurel has lower taxes than Prince George's County so you could possibly buy a larger priced house, and have the same monthly payment as a home less on the Prince George's County side. I started in mortgage before real estate and can help sort through this for you. Don't hesitate to call me directly with any questions. Either way, best of luck to you in your homes earch.
Ariana Loucas
RE/MAX
Definitely! Are you going to rent or buy? I can help you with all your real estate needs! When are planning to move?
Kathy. Hutchins
Broker
Hutchins Property Management
301-785-1995
Family friendly yes. Affordable... So so. I live in Laurel and I love it.