Heather Fern…, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

Is Capitol Hill a good place to raise a family?

Asked by Heather Fernandez, San Francisco, CA Thu May 3, 2007

I lived in DC eight years ago, so I'm not sure how much it has changed.

Answers

9
Heather F.

I've lived on Capitol Hill for a decade now and have raised my now 11 year old son right here. It's a great place to raise a family! Capitol Hill is a wonderful tight knit community, a little village if you will. And we're just minutes from the lights of downtown. Great school, delicious restaurants, beautiful parks and super friendly neighbors have made me realize moving to Capitol Hill was the best decision for me in terms of where in DC I would live. I love the bright lights/big city feeling of downtown DC, but with kids I must say I've really appreciated the slower pace of the Hill. It's the Cheers version of neighborhood!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
Capitol Hill has changed quite a bit in the last decade. I first moved to NE in 2004 and now live by Capitol South metro. I personally love it. It feels like a small town in the middle of the city. The streets and houses are so beautiful and charming, and most have now been restored to their original glory. I love that we have trees and open green space everywhere - it makes for a tranquil retreat from the hustle downtown and in the halls of Congress. Everyone knows their neighbors. It's a great mix of people: Young professionals, empty-nesters, students, young families with kids and dogs, elderly folks that have called the Hill home for decades, and everything in between. It has a real community feel - everyone gets to know each other at the many parks or on weekends at Eastern Market. There are tons of great new bars restaurants that have opened in recent years, too, along Pennsylvania Ave and 8th Street, SE. On the north side, you have lots of new development on H Street which is really starting to come into its own and draws a hip, young crowd on weekends. Development has pushed much farther east recently, and areas around Lincoln Park where I would not have walked alone at night 8 years ago are now highly in demand and full of families with young children. Values and quality of life can vary a bit block-by-block, so if you're interested in learning more about the various neighborhoods of Capitol Hill and what they have to offer, feel free to give me a call at 202-630-9473.
I live there now and it's great!!
Hi Heather,

The HILL is truly a special place, and since you lived here it has become even more so. The re-building of many older sections/houses has be spectacular. This has also brought average prices up with it.

It 's certainly a "family kinda place"; there are many younger couples with children, and there are lots of children-type activities planned around the year for them. There's also an ever growing shopping and entertainment scene along distinct 'corridors' and all the people who live there tend have the opinion: "I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city", or even: "Please don't tell anyone about it up here, we like it the way it is". Heck, there are real estate agents who like it so much they've got to say it twice (below!!)...(by the way John Smith is the Hill's best-know big-game hunter and a good friend.)

I started showing my clients "the Hill" about 5 years ago while it was still a comparative bargain; some parts still are. (See my TRULIA comment to Steve on March 8th). Always a "buyer agent", whose team professes: "we know the WHOLE city", and like to help clients, (especially out of towners), take a good wide look at all of DC and greater region before they start homing-in anywhere.

We have MANY incredible neighborhoods in the area, so comparison shoppping, (particularly where a budget is involved), really is a fun thing. The Hill comes-out very well in many, many ways, but we're lucky here...so come have a good look around...you'll be surprised at the changes 8 years have brought. And, I bet you'll have a hard deciding~~!

Good luck and if we can help, do call or visit: http://www.cbmove.com/rhelbig

--RICHARD--
301-801-2970

PS: The DC real estate market is slow, and prices have finally joined the rest of the country in 'giving-back' some of those gains in the run-up to 2007, even though we didn't really go off the Richter Scale the way some big cities' prices did. We're off 33% from the peak now, and buyers are definitely in-control ~!
Heather,

You will get as many answers to this question as there are respondents. The families that live on Capitol Hill, think its a great place; the ones who don't will probably disagree. You might like a little objective advice, and I suggest a site like http://www.walkscore.com; a web site that will give you quality of life score for any address in the country. In addition, you might like to try a local resource; The DC Government runs a wonderful website, very high tech, with lots of good information. In particular you might like to try this web site. http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/intro.asp.
A note on both of these web sites: they need to be put in perspective. Compare the information for a Hill address, with an address, for example, where you live right now.
IF you'd like, I could have someone who lives and raises a family in DC, on Capitol Hill, answer any specific questions you might have. Just let me know what information you are curious about.
Heather,

Capitol Hill is a wonderful place to raise a family!!!! My children attend the Capitol Hill Cluster School (DC Public Schools) where the majority of the teachers are young and energetic. There are various options in the Cluster, including FREE Montessori. Sports on the Hill http://(www.sportsonthehill.com) offers lots of options for sports, and the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop http://(www.chaw.org) offers visual and performing arts, as well as an aftercare program and summer camp programs. LIncoln Park, Stanton Park, and Garfield Park are a great place to meet other families. We live in a less expensive neighborhood in NE DC, but our activities are focused there and in another family friendly place, Takoma Park.
It would be an excellent place to live if money is not much of an object. Having said that, there are folks with famlies (including school age children, who live there because they want to and enjoy it.
doubt it try friendship heights chevy chase palisades or AU-tenely