Quality of Life in San Jose>Question Details

Nomeolvides, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Is Berryessa a good place to buy? (corner of Berryessa Rd. and N Jackson Ave)

Asked by Nomeolvides, San Jose, CA Sat Oct 20, 2012

We've been renting in Santa Clara for more than a year, currently are thinking to buy our first home. Unfortunately we can't afford a decent place in Santa Clara in our budget... Plus as our agent told us, it's very hard to compete in today's Bay Area market with FHA loan, as it takes too much time to secure and most sellers, having multiple offers, would pass on you as a buyer (at least, that's what we were told)... So, we are considering to buy a newly constructed property at Berryessa (Pepper Lane at the corner of Berryessa Rd. and N Jackson Ave). Can anyone advise on the neighborhood. How it feels? What kind of people live there? If you have any opinion on the value of a new home vs. old in the area (as a potential resale in the future), that would also be very helpful. Thanks

Answers

6
Sam Shueh’s answer
Suggest you drive around at different times. Map out different commuting routes. Traffic is more a concern than the rest. Expect no issues in resell just don't pick the least affordable unit etc.
Yes, with FHA that is your best opportunity.
Sam Shueh
I live in Berryessa up the street from this place. It's so new that there isn't a lot of evidence about it's neighborhood.

Right behind this house there is an area called "The Capes" with a lot of streets that start with Cape. It runs bigger homes, more square footage, newer than up the hill towards Piedmont Hills High.

I also like some of the new homes near Milpitas Great Mall, have you checked those out? There is some new construction near Landess/Capital that's pretty interesting and feeds to Milpitas schools.

You can look up the school scores and demographics here: http://www.GreatSchools.org. Call Berryessa Union School District to find out the feeder elementary for this new complex. Vinci Park has risen in test scores a lot over the last few years.

This home will feed to Independence High. I keep talking about schools because if you look long term at re-sale, quite frequently the quality of the schools will play a role in the value of the homes.

Erica
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
I know exactly which property you are speaking of. Berryessa is a very nice area and as I recall, the schools will be Piedmont area schools which are very good.

Many of the questions you are asking are opinion based questions, like how the area feels. I will say that I have shown many people homes in that area and they like it, the area, very much. Easy access to the freeway, schools, etc. all seem to point to it being a very good location.

I wish you all the best in your home search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
You ask:

Q: Can anyone advise on the neighborhood. How it feels? What kind of people live there?

A: Overall, as stated by Monica, Realtors are prohibited by law from telling you whether or not any specific neighborhood is safe. It’s called “steering” and we are prohibited by our code of ethics and federal law from providing such information. Here are a couple posts that explain more:

NO STEERING ALLOWED: 3 Important Facts To Know As A Buyer
http://www.trulia.com/blog/carl_medford/2010/03/no_steering_…

Don’t Get ‘Steered’ in the Wrong Direction
http://184.154.226.18/~ebpublis/index.php?option=com_content…

However, we CAN tell you where to go to get information. In your case, for crime statistics, go to the following sites:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/san-jose/crime/
https://www.crimereports.com/

Q: If you have any opinion on the value of a new home vs. old in the area (as a potential resale in the future), that would also be very helpful.
A: It depends on the market when you sell. Overall, new homes hold their value well. However, new homes also have smaller lots (if any) and some buyers will always hold out for a more traditional, older home with larger lots.
Thank you for your question:

I consider that to be a very desirable neighborhood.

I have found that the best way to tell if a neighborhood is one that you will like is to knock on a few doors of the neighbors and ask them what they like about the neighborhood and if there is anything that they do not like about the neighborhood.

With respect to value, a new home will generally have greater value on resale than an older home.

I recommend that you bring your agent with you when you visit the property and the neighborhood around the property..

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
America Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
Hi Nomeolvides,

By law, the realtors are not allowed to steer a buyer towards any particular neighborhood, thus we can not tell you if this is a good neighborhood. There are a few things you can do to check the area,
- one go to crimereports.com to research on the crime rate.
-Two visit the neighborhood, drive around to form your opinion
-talk to the neighbors and get their feedback
-identify your route, not only it will show your travel time/pattern, it will also show the type of neighborhood you will be driving thru.

I have seen that new construction, its new and upcoming. It is true that markets in Sunnyvale, Cupertino etc are extremely competitive. Without knowing your budget its hard to suggest the area. I think Pepper lane starts in 500's, you can do a search limited by price and see what comes up in your desired areas.

Good luck with your purchase
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012