Quality of Life in Berlin>Question Details

Carol Washin…, Home Buyer in Wilmington, DE

Is Berlin Maryland a good community for seniors to retire?

Asked by Carol Washington, Wilmington, DE Sat Nov 17, 2007

Answers

10
The Ocean Pines community is located in Berlin Maryland and was recently recognized at No. 10 in the BizJournals Top 100 places to retire. Copy this the link in your browser to read more about it. http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/63.html

I am a real estate agent in the area. Feel free to visit my website to search for more local area listings and information. http://www.sharoncurtiss.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007
I have two aged people in my house for Senior to retire. they have no Health insurance for my mom and dad, we want to insurance them both of them are suffering from diabetes. Top quality is a little great but it was the only company who provided insurance policy to diabetics. Get Health Insurance Plans for 50-65 Old Age People Health Insurance Plans for Age 50-65. A friend suggest to me senior Health Insurance Company. they provide good Insurance Policies.
yes, yes you can walk to everything in the town. great shopping, restaurants, social events, close to beach. great library in town. very busy, yet quiet town.
Yes it is and I have the perfect home for you.
3222 sq ft on a golf course, 4 miles from the beach. No HOA, beautifully landscaped and not caught up in the Ocean Pines mess.
Dan
Berlin is attractive in several ways, But.... If you are considering that location go just a bit further North to Delaware and achieve much more financial benefits in retirement while still finding what you find in Berlin. And Berlin is still only a short distance away if you want to visit the Historic quaint town.
Berlin has basically two sections. The section close to the Bay has very pricy compared to local income. However, the rest that's close to Berlin town is reasonably priced. Due to the real estate slump, Centex and Toll brothers are severely hit. You may be able to find good bargains. Overall, Berlin is getting more and more upscale as days go by. Recently Michaels and Bed Bath and Beyond just opened their stores in White Marlin Mall. Pretty much, there is no real need to go to Salisbury for shopping. Atlantic Health Center near Berlin old town is a great convenience for retirees. Golf courses are abundant. OC can get quite busy during summer season, but Berlin will remain relatively quiet. In general, Berlin boasts both the convenience of shopping and entertainment and wonderful natural beauty.
You should also check out the Toll Brothers' Bayside at Ocean city community. This community is smaller and closer to the Bayside. Pricewise it may be a better deal.
Carol, I personally haven't sold any homes in the Glen Riddle Community. If you stopped by Centex to see the homes, I am sure you were shown the amenites and models. They have single family homes and townhomes. There were many homes sold early on when the market values were much higher, so we have seen large reductions in prices there (which some original purchasers are not to happy with). When making a decision to purchase you will want to look at the quality of construction of the home and get an idea of the current values by comparing the new construction prices against the resale prices within that community. If you are not working with an agent at this time, you might decide to hire a Buyer's Agent who would be able to give you more specific information about the community. You should also check out the county website and neighborhood demographic website information available, since this is an area that REALTORS can not get into under Fair Housing laws.
I am looking the new GlenRiddle community, homes by Centex in Berlin, Maryland. What is your opinion of this community.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007
Since I am not a Native Marylander (born in Indiana, lived in Atlanta for 25 years) I don't believe Maryland is a good retirement area unless you are a retired Military or Government Employee - the health care here is fantastically good for those two, and us that do live here take advantage of it also - I had decided to retire to Costa Rica, till I found out they had lousy health care - myself when I retire I am going to sell out all I own here and go somewhere cheaper to live, like back to Indiana, or to Atlanta. Cost of housing here is way out of kilter to those two areas, and others like Ky, Tn, Mo, Miss, etc!
However, I am not familiar to Berling, but I am to Hollywood and California Md. Those are in Southern Maryland, where I live and do real estate!

Hope you find this helpful! God Bless!

Bill Wootan
Web Reference: http://www.billwootan.com