Quality of Life in Portland>Question Details

Mark S, Home Buyer in Murrells Inlet, SC

In the Portland OR area - are there any residential areas within commuting distance (less than an hour drive)

Asked by Mark S, Murrells Inlet, SC Fri Nov 30, 2007

that are acre-plus lots and sub $300k pricing? I'm currently in rural Eastern CT and like things more spread out than what appears to be the norm in the suburban areas around PDX.

Answers

7
Try St. Helens. Cute and quaint small town... Very easy highway 30 commute just 28 miles from downtown Portland.
Web Reference: http://www.darinprovost.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 6, 2007
Thanks for the answers folks. The PDX job didn't come through so I won't be looking for a home there for the time being!

Mark
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2007
I think Raelyn meant that Washington DOESN'T have state income tax and Oregon does. Since the airport is on the East side I would definitely look in the eastern reaches of portland or vancouver. Rural towns on the west side of portland would mean driving THROUGH downtown during rush hour twice a day. I would look at areas like Camas, WA or Damascus, Boring, Sandy, or Troutdale in Oregon. Sandy seems to be booming lately and it is on a direct path between Portland and Mt Hood if you like outdoor fun.
You may want to look at Ridgefield, Woodland and la Center about a half hour to 45 minute commute from PDX airport. Washington State does have state income tax which can make the move and commute a little more worthwhile. I work just north of the PDX airport about 10 minutes and commute all the way from Stella about 20 minutes west of the Longview exit. My commute is within 5 minutes of an hour drive every day.
Web Reference: http://www.plhmls.com
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the answers. I would be working very close to the PDX airport. Perhaps that location would drive the reasonable commute decision.

Mark
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2007
Also check out Skamania County - including Stevenson, Washington.
Just 40 minutes away, and beautiful views all along the drive.

Many of the rural properties have a septic system & well,
so budget for that kind of testing. Stevenson is a charming little town
with some good summer events. Knowing which side of Portland will be your main commute target can make a big difference in this decision. If you'll be working in Beaverton/WA County, consider a property 1/2 wy to the Oregon Coast, or toward the Columbia River. Veronia is a nice little town, with a Friendship Festival in early August.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2007
You might look in the Powell Butte area of Southeast Portland. Or Sandy, in rural Clackamas County, Oregon CIty, Mollalla, Estacada, or Canby corridors. All offer real bargains compared to the city.

Possible site in Wine Country communities too, west of Portland...like Newberg or Sherwood, but traffic can be an issue. Beautiful country, here, so if you enjoy that aspect of driving, parhaps choose a country road commute, rather than a freeway? Can you work part-time from a home office?

We have lots of excellent Brokers here who can help you find a place that fits your whole list.
Often a larger property will offer Rental or Lease possibilities to allow you to make a higher offer.
(I'm pretty familiar with the market right now and have seen some great ones recently. Can act as a Finder for you if you, and do research on the properties if prefer to look without a Broker - until you are ready to negotiate & write your Offers. Zillow.com can help you assess some info from Public Records, as can http://www.PortlandMaps.com Trulia's map search function is a good place to start, using the town names I suggested above. Have fun with it - and Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2007