lebroniq, Renter in San Francisco, CA

In March of this year, an ex-coworker approached me about moving in with her with my 2 kids. The terms were $1200 a month plus $300 for utilities and

Asked by lebroniq, San Francisco, CA Fri Jun 14, 2013

cable. She has a 2 bdrm/1 bath home & said she was converting her garage into a bdrm and gave me the choice of either both bedrooms or a bedroom and the converted room. Being considerate, I chose the latter. When I inspected her home prior to moving in, the garage was a garage. She said it would be ready by the time I moved in. During the inspection, I noticed & commented about the big screen tv and cable in the living room, and mentioned how when I'm home, I watch a lot of tv and cable, esp HBO. That was a plus for me, and I told her that. A week before the move in date of April 1st, she texted me that the garage was ready. I trusted her, so on March 29th, I paid her $3000 for April and May's rent. When I moved in on April 1st, the garage was still a garage. This month, June, I'm late with rent. She removed the tv and cable. Can she do this? Am I allowed to modify our agreement since I'm technically renting a 1 bdrm? She refuses to discuss rent modification.

Answers

2
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

Please refer the law of California regarding tenancy.
Hopefully this resource will give you some guidance.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
She moved the big screen into her bedroom and connected the cable into my daughters' room. When I asked her about hooking the cable and a tv up in the living room too, which is the room I'm mainly in and where I sleep, she rolled her eyes. She asked how can I complain about the cable when I'm late with rent. That was over a week ago and she still has not put the cable and a tv back into the living room. I feel very uncomfortable there because of the surprise changes but I am unable to move until the beginning of August. I didn't push the issue of paying for a 2 bdrm before when all I really am getting is a 1 bdrm because she bought food for my daughters in both April and May. But because she's made these changes with the tv, I feel like a victim of bait and switch. When I started renting from her, her house was fully furnished already, so I never brought any furniture in. Now I want to pay her $250 for utilities and cable, and $800 - $900 for the 1 bdrm. Can I do this? She knows that I plan on moving in August, as I made that clear from day 1.