Quality of Life in Longmont>Question Details

Boulder Suz, Real Estate Pro in Longmont, CO

If you were going to re-brand Longmont, what things would you do?

Asked by Boulder Suz, Longmont, CO Tue Apr 10, 2012

Longmont's image as a wholesome community is intact. It has never held a candle, though, to nearby Boulder's cultural offerings. That's OK. Longmont has been content with its small city feel. Weekends are for sports activities. There is an ice rink, a skating park and a recreation center. Families, couples and young adults converge on the downtown to view art, watch parades and celebrations. Activities at the Fairgrounds draw big crowds, too.

Longmont can be proud ot its image. Over the years, trails and bike lanes have appeared. Running a connection to Highway 119 on the south side improved traffic flow.

All this work has not gone unnoticed. Longmont has appeared on the best cities list for Money magazine. The vice president and president were visitors here.

Though it values its agricultural past, Longmont has become part of the sprawling aerospace, technology and new energy industries of Boulder County. It is a city on the move. Any suggestions for branding?

Answers

13
Hey boulder SuZ:

It looks to me like Longmont is starting to re-brand itself. Seems like I am seeing a lot more interest in this great Boulder County city since the beginning of this year. I have been showing a lot more homes there and answering a lot more questions. And why not. Home prices are very good and it has relatively easy access to Boulder, Denver and the airport. Are you sensing a trend?

Ron
HELLO Longmont!

You might have seen the article in our local newspaper on the redeveloping of the St. Vrain River between Sunset and Martin. A study will focus on the ultimate aim of shrinking the flood plain that stretches up to a half mile in places. Some businesses may hope to benefit from proximity to the river.

A University of Colorado at Denver study recommended making it a vibrant area that showcases the river. I like that idea. You don't have to travel far to see what cities have done with their creeks and rivers. Boulder has a beautiful park next to its library and a short walk from Pearl Street Mall. This area is also setting for the Dushanbe Tea House. Boulder has had sponsors give fishing lessons to area youths at the creek. Also nearby, Estes Park shops line its creek. It's concrete paths are inviting for an after dinner stroll.

Longmont already has a long running festival, the Rhythm on the River that features music, art on display, and food as well as activities that celebrate the outdoors. No doubt, the festival will extend itself with the additional space.

The proximity to downtown offers an opportunity for events like a taste of Longmont's eateries and craft beer. Longmont already enjoys the Left Hand Brewing Co.'s outdoor tables at its building near the Izaak Walton Park. Great place to walk or bike to for a beer and snack. Lots of glowing praise has been uploaded on Yelp.

Expanding these events with additional permanent structures could bring even more walkers and bikers to the downtown area. It can be an attraction for visitors, too.

If anyone would like to share their ideas, please feel free.
Longmont has a museum and cultural center. Check out photographic and art exhibits.

Regional history and explorations of culture are all part of the mix of exhibitions. Permanent exhibits show 14,000 years of human history in Longmont, and the people who helped to create this community. There's always something new to see.

Currently, exhibits by quilt artist Linda Beach and photographer Ed Freeman are displayed. It is a lot of creativity all in one place. Check it out.

http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/museum/exhibits/freeman-beach.htm
Hello Jeff,
I looked for the book and found it at this link:
http://www.abebooks.com/Longmonts-History-Architecture-Today…

It looks like it might have limited availability. I don't know. Would the library have a copy?
Longmont has paid a lot of attention to its downtown. The art community is active and occasionally brings residents out for Art Walk.

Boulder has great malls. Pearl Street is legendary.

At first, combining a thoroughly European concept with Western towns seemed more than a bit incongruous. Pearl made it work. The family oriented Pearl turns into a fun nightlife after dusk. Other Boulder County communities have followed suit. With the crafted beer makers turning out stout profits and record sales, it's no wonder we're seeing a surge in restaurant/bar openings.

Some in Longmont would love to see a developer take a wrecking ball to the mill on the east side of town and develop out that blighted-looking area. Others want to keep that history. Longmont has a rich agricultural past to celebrate.

I recently visited Bavaria. I toured the preserved farms at a small town near the Czech Republic. It looked so authentic you could swear a Medieval farmer and his wife would come walking through one of the doors any time. A restaurant served famous German fare with that fabulous German beer and German wine. What park would be complete without a novelty store? And as long as you're growing grains and crops, you might as well make bread in a stone oven.

I have to believe some remnant of the Longmont mill can be saved for future generations to see. If a commuter rail line eventually becomes reality for that property, all the better! It will take plenty of money along with tax breaks and incentives to pull it off. But, Longmont could compete regionally with the likes of Pearl Street.

Note the Starbucks and Disney successes. These were European influences that worked.

It's healthy, too. A large property with a lot of paths makes for a great day trip for neighboring communities. And, we can always use another festival, right? Good food, good beer, good times ... you can't beat that.
Longmont's history in architecture, today [Unknown Binding]
Charles Bullard (Author)
Lafayette posts signs rebranding itself. Downtown area with Dickens and other historic buildings are important. There is a book out on the awesome number of historic homes in Longmont. I will look up the author's name, and title. Homes are located in all parts of town.
Longmont is a great community. I have lived here for 30 years. I see lot's of comparisons to Boulder...Boulders median price for a single family home is over $600,000 whereas Longmont's is $225,000. The views are fantastic, the community is friendly and welcoming. We have an abundance of parks and trails and surrounded by open space. Longmont has a vribrant downtown. There are some great plans for redevelopment of lower downtown. The mall is outdated..but has been sold to a company that has plans for redevelopment.
Boulder County has something for everyone.

Oh, did I forget to mention the favorite comment I've heard from real estate agents over the years?

Buyers are often told they can buy more house for the dollar in Longmont - as opposed to Louisville and Boulder. It has been true. There are a number of differences. Boulder is in the national spotlight, but Longmont has plenty to boast about, too.

There is plenty to like. Hipsters will like historic Longmont, where you can walk from a nice home to shops and the nightlife afforded by Longmont's downtown. Couples with families will like the slower pace and the active lifestyle afforded in Longmont.

The Fairgrounds and downtown are not the only focal points. There are recreation opportunities at Union Reservoir. There are public golf courses, skydiving, balloon rides and on and on.

Suz
How about it, Longmont? April wants a great hangout. A Western motif for Ron. A Mall that attracts shoppers for all including Jeff.

I like these suggestions. Anyone else care to chime in?

On the East side, Longmont has a need for more sit-down restaurants. Ice cream at McDonald's (Wal-mart) is a start. But, I'm talking about an Olive Garden. A great family diner with a railroad theme would be ideal for the Mill area.

Can we do it?
Re-branding would include how people perceive Longmont. As a local of the Front Range area, growing up my friends and I would leave Longmont and Loveland and hit either Denver, Boulder or Fort Collins. Why? Because that is where the majority of the unique, delicious restaurants were, and also where the quality entertainment was in our opinion.

So to re-brand Longmont as a desirable place to hang out - we need more interesting recreational options. Restructuring the old Twin Peaks mall into something similar to Centerra would be a good start - with a remodeled big movie theater. A Costco and Sams would keep more tax dollars in the city as well. Continuing to draw nicer restaurants to the area, as has started in the SW quadrant would also be beneficial.
An Apple store would catapult Longmont to the forefront of the line for hipster hang outs. Thanks April!
Flag Wed Apr 11, 2012
Hi BoulderSuZ: If you are looking for that one thing that makes Longmont appealing, I would say that it is the old west, small town character that is especially evident in the downtown, the older communities and the fairgrounds. Were I designing a campaign to boost Longmont's image, I probably would start by noting this unspoiled character. In some ways, it is what Boulder and Louisville were until recently. This would suggest that the city could be the next big thing in Colorado. Thought leaders always seek out the next big thing. And they are the folks who sell "the next big thing" to everyone else.

Ron Rovtar
There is a brilliant mind lurking behind that smile, Ron.

Longmont has done plenty of work on that very suggestion. Longmont has a museum and a Historic District.

The original Chicago Colony settlers farmed, lived quiet lives and left the wonderful legacy that is bucolic Longmont. You drive to the west end of Mountainview and you'll come to a beautiful pasture where livestock grazes. If you head out of town to the east, you'll find plenty of commercial activity occasionally interrupted by dairies, farms and gravel mines. On Highway 52, you can see a buffalo herd.

Plenty of townspeople would love to keep more. Saving the old mill is on some minds. The east entry has a sculpture commemorating those original settlers. When I drive over the hill to Longmont's Pace Street on my way home, I am reminded why we chose to live here. The majestic Front Range stretches north and south to the horizons. Before me is beautiful Longs Peak.

Wonderful idea, Ron!
Flag Wed Apr 11, 2012
Some how relate to downtown, and other shopping areas. Redevelopment of Twin Peaks (The Indoor Mall) is very important, if the most, I studied twon planning in Architecture school at the University of Illinois. Shopping is less important in the click and buy age of internet shopping. However, local shoping and the sales tax dolalrs have always helped Coloardo cities. Many eastern cities have no sales taxes, and huge property taxes for those that own.

Shopping at holidays will always be important. The social aspects of the redevelpment of "The Mall" are need to be sudied.