Quality of Life in Hanson>Question Details

Betty, Home Buyer in Pembroke, NC

If I move to Pleasant St in Hanson, will the commuter rail be too loud? How does the commuter rail affect?

Asked by Betty, Pembroke, NC Thu Jul 24, 2008

real estate values in the Pleasant St neighborhood?

Answers

9
Depends on the exact location on pleasant street. For instance if the property is located near Meadow or Sandy lanes you likely won't hear the train much, if at all, and in that case you have a property within "walking distance" to the train which can actually add some value. However if the property is located between Reed an Jeneva on pleasant the noise from the train will likely be an issue and therefore affect current and future value. But noise can be a personal thing ... Some people don't mind it at all but as the investor/home owner you just need to take into account that at resale time your pool of buyers will be smaller.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
As far as resale i think it might result in fewer buyers when it is time to sell, but on the other hand some people may like the fact that the commuter rail is close by - If you are wondering if it will be to loud for you I suggest getting the train schedule and going to the area you are interested in and listening when the train passes ......only tou can determine if it is too loud for you...hope this helps!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
For example this single family may not be affected as much to the train noise but it is close to 27 so that may be another issue:
http://www.territoryre.com/idx/listings/70796980/details.htm…
Web Reference: http://www.territoryre.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
I can't read what you're writing!!! The train is way too loud!!! Ha, ha!!!

Seriously, I can't tell you if the train will be too loud for you or other people. It's personal taste. Generally, the presence of a commuter rail has already been priced into the value of a property unless the MBTA laid tracks last night and started running trains this morning without telling anybody. So, you are probably going to buy a property for less money because it is situated close to the tracks but don't expect to become a real estate millionaire on the other end by painting a mural of the Fiji Islands on a wall between the house and the train tracks. Good luck, Jon
Web Reference: http://www.bowenboston.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 24, 2008
just like any property...
go to the property that you are interested in and discover the answers!
I can help!!
Depends on the location....
I live in Hanson on the other side of these tracks. About 1/4 mile away and we can hear the train coming through. I can imagine it will be louder there? I'm thinking it will be something you will get used to and that shouldn't affect your decision about moving here. Its a nice little town. Good Luck =)
Pleasant Str is a long street. About the middle near Reed Street the train blows the whistle to cross over Pleasant. Its does not stop. The train station is about a 15 minute walk from Pleasant & Main Streets. Noise level is only an issue mid way down Pleasant. Nice older street w/ lots of families. Some rentals. Hope that helps!
Hi Betty

It completely depends on the proximity
anywhere in the area you can hear a train in the distance/background