Jane, Home Buyer in Massachusetts

I want to relocate to INdy area . Can some one tell me if environment (air pollute, water, so on) are good?

Asked by Jane, Massachusetts Mon Aug 18, 2008

at Indy? I am interested in plainfield, Avon, which close to airport, or other towns like greenwood. COuld someone tell me which town has best environment, and school, and easy shopping, thanks a lot.

Answers

4
Marita Topmiller’s answer
Hi Jane. For schools, I would choose Greenwood's Center Grove area. For shopping, I would still prefer Greenwood, with Plainfield coming in second. As to environments - Greenwood has a laid back vibe
with a small village like downtown and fabulous newer homes in the Center Grove area. Getting to
the airport is quick and easy and getting to downtown Indy, where the action is, is easy. You've got
interstate access to 65 from the east side which will get you to 465 and 37 on the west side into
465. For info on each area, I suggest you check out their websites: http://www.avongov.org/ http://www.plainfield-in.com http://www.greenwood.in.gov. Also take a look at http://www.indygov.org/Services/environment.htm.
I've lived on the west side and I've lived on the southside. I like both. However, traffic on 36 is a bear.
Check out homes from my portal at http://www.thinkrealtygroup.com/maritatopmiller and email me for more specific information. I'd be happy to help you. Thanks, Marita 317-513-4652
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 19, 2008
"Indiana waters today are decidedly cleaner than they were decades ago. Regulatory programs for industrial and municipal discharges have been implemented. Furthermore, Indiana's 1996 surface water monitoring strategy has assessed all lakes and streams in the state for their intended use. The intended outcome is to improve upon the fact that 63% of Indiana's 35,673 miles of streams fully support aquatic life use and 46% support full body contact recreational use. Almost all of Indiana's 59 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline, outside the Indiana harbor, fully supports aquatic life use."

"Indiana, in partnership with U.S. EPA and other stakeholders, can be proud of its environmental record, but must be ready for continuing challenges. This agreement, addressing near-term focus points and program specific elements and corresponding work plans, is designed to outline those commitments. The outcomes are intended to improve environmental conditions in the state of Indiana and provide a mechanism to track the improvement."

When researching exact statistics, you will find Indiana's (local govt) promising to match or exceed EPA regulations, the typical govt promises. There are a few factories but the bulk of them seem to be in Northern Indiana. From living here all of my life, and traveling throughout the states and overseas our air quality seems exceptional. No issues with ground water. May need a water softner for city water! :)

When it comes the 'best environment' I would say further away from the city, (all though are city is surprisingly clean). Geist (Lawrence) is nice, homes are spread apart, shopping/strip malls are spread apart. There is also a resovoir. A couple of parks for recreational activities (biking/hiking). Let me know if you would like to receive some a list of avaiable homes in the Geist area?

Thank you!
I can tell you that Fishers, Ind. (northern suburbs) recently was ranked as the top small city in the country, and the top 10 place in the country to raise a family. Hamilton County has received numerous accolades over the years for its quality of life issues. Throughout the metro area there are great neighborhoods that offer many of the things you are asking about. If you'd like more information, I'd be happy to send you articles on specific neighborhoods I've written about for various publications, including Indianapolis Monthly. I also can provide stats and other details for you based on your needs and interests. Just e-mail me at Laura@TalktoTucker.com or call me anytime at 317.702.0058. Thanks,

Laura
Jane,

Thanks for the interest in the Plainfield/Avon area. I have lived in the area all my life and feel they are both great communities. They two communities are very different however. I would say that both communities offer great environments to live, raise a family and retire to. Being on the Westside of Indy, they still have a rural feel to them and there is still quite a bit of farmland in the area. Both communities are noted for their excellent schools in terms of academics, athletics and extra-curricular activities.

Plainfield is an established town that has seen a lot of growth over the past several years. There is a wide variety of shopping in town that is easily accessible from all the residential areas. Metropolis is a nice outdoor shopping mall in addition to strip mall shopping anchored by stores such as Wal-Mart, Target and Kohl's. Plainfield prides itself on it's parks and trails system and aquatic/recreation center and has that real "hometown" feel.

The Avon community is made up of subdivisions and shopping. The US 36 corridor is lined with just about any type of shopping or eating establishment you could want. They have several of the "big box" stores as anchors in strip malls which offer a huge variety of shopping opportunities. They have have a large number of restaurants. The Avon community shows a lot of support for their youth through their youth sports program and school athletics and band programs.

Are you planning a visit to the area soon? Both communities offer a variety of festivals and events throughout the year. If you would like more information on both of these towns, visit my website at http://www.CindyBreneman.com for links to the town websites. You will find the links located at the bottom of my homepage. Also, if you have any questions about housing or anything else about the communities feel free to contact me, I will be more than happy to answer them for you. Also feel free to follow the home search link on my page to find available homes in the Plainfield/Avon area.