Arlene, Home Buyer in New York County, NY

I need a co op or twnhouse that allows dogs!

Asked by Arlene, New York County, NY Sun Feb 8, 2009

Send me a list of properties or the way to search for them online before I come in to see you

Answers

14
Hi Deborah,
That's too bad because I was thinking of bringing someone over there who has a large dog. The dog is very quiet - but about 100lbs. What I have found about dogs and noise is that size really doesn't matter. It's more breed related than size related. In fact smaller dogs are more likely to be disruptive barkers. For example, I have two Siberian Huskies. They are on the large size, but one thing about them is that they don't bark. The reason I have 2? Dogs are social (particularly huskies that are bred to work together) a dog with a companion is less likely to be disruptive when the owner is away from home. The big Bernise owned by my buyers hardly makes a sound. If she does, there is a good reason and you would want her making noise. In general large breeds (particularly giant breeds) are calmer - and therefore less noisy.

Just an observation about those thinking of rules for condos. One of the problems is that those who make the rules don't know that much about dogs and their behavior. Another issue - 2 dogs are often easier to handle noise wise than one. Dogs are social, if they have a companion, they are less likely to be disruptive when their owner is away.
Arlene- I need to update a previous email -my answer is below regarding the pet policy at the Knickerbocker Lofts Condos at 52 Webster Avenue in New Rochelle. Due to a few unruly large dogs, we are adopting a policy of one dog per loft w a weight restriction of 60 pounds. Now that we are over half sold and the owners have control of the condo development -it is in the best interest of all to keep the Knickerbocker a peaceful, safe and comfortable home for those who select to live here. Open house this weekend! Come visit. Debbie Fugazy , Associate Broker at Houlihan Lawrence of New Rochelle.
I know of one that was perfect but it was a one bdrm. I have a client and we have been searching for 6mths. ...his budget was tight which has made the search more difficult. I have a list but prefer to be contacted directly. pmemoli@msn.com
Does anyone have information on Condo's that accept pets in Westchester from $250,000 and below. I have a 52 pound mild mannered all american terrior. Please let me know. kfunches@optonline.net
Hi Arlene, What about a beautiful condo loft which has no restrictions on pets and is in New Rochelle- designated by Business Week magazine in the November issue as THE city in the state of New York to raise kids? A true recycled factory- The Knickerbocker Lofts- former Knickerbocker Press Building at 52 Webster Avenue has 45 loft/condos. We are FHA approved with as little as 3 1/2% down if you qualify and ...bring your dog or dogs. I have open houses most Saturdays and Sundays from 12-3 p.m. Don't wait though to visit- I have 16 condos remaining and 5 of those are in contract. Gay Rosen is right. Call your realtor to get a thorough and updated list of available condos, coops and townhouses which allow dogs. To reach me -Debbie Fugazy at Houlihan Lawrence in New Rochelle 914-636-6700 and my cell is 914-473-2762.
The trouble with the lists is that they are meaningless unless the criteria is clear. That's why Listing Book and even the MLS are not of much use. Arlene really needs to tell us what kind of dog(s) she actually has for anyone here to be of any use to her. There are many different degrees of pet-friendliness it boggles the mind and each complex is different. You have to call each and every management company and talk to the manager of that complex and get a clear concise statement about what the complex will and will not accept. Sometimes they will accept anything but pit bulls. Sometimes anything but Pit Bulls, Rodies, German Shepherds. When I first started my pet-friendly campaign - it was in response to the fact that there was demand but no one wanted to deal with it - so pet owners were getting kind of rough treatment from agents. I've even had some tell me that the agent suggested they get rid of their pet to increase their options. I thought it would be fairly easy to tease out the information necessary. Boy, was I wrong about that! I learned the hard way why the pet-friendly stuff wasn't so easy.
Here is the list you requested Arlene: http://www.miketrinch.com/pet-friendly-coops-westchester.php

That is every coop from every real estate company that allows pets or allows them but has a weigh restriction. This page is updated every 24 hours with actual listings for you to view and not just the names of the buildings.

This page will help you as well: http://www.miketrinch.com/pet-friendly-condos-westchester.php

Enjoy.
I'm going to jump in again here. The trouble with the MLS and listing book is that the criteria for pet-friendly is waaaay too general. Some say "restricted weight" what does that mean? In some complexes you can have more than one dog BUT each dog can't weigh more than 20 lbs. One complex says the total weight of all of your pets can't exceed 60 lbs. Another complex will let you have any weight dog - including a St. Bernard, but don't try and bring in 2 Yorkies. Another complex allows any weight be excludes certain breeds. The difficulty is, this is all under "restricted weight." Many reserve the right to meet and "interview" the dog. So Listing Book, like the MLS is of minimal help with this issue.
Dear Arlene,

If you haven't found a home in a pet friendly bldg. yet. Log on to:
greenrealtor.listingbook.com
you'll be able to "search like a realtor".
All best.
Hi Arlene,
It is difficult to find coops that take dogs but there are a few. Townhomes are usually not a problem. Please give me an idea of your price range and number of bedrooms you are desiring and I will start looking for you.
Warm regards,
Suzanne Moncure
914-263-9153
Dear Arlene: All you have to do is to call your Realtor, and ask he or she to send you the information you reqyest. There are numerous buildings in New Rochelle that allow dogs, and town houses also.. How much did you wish to spend, how many bedrooms, etc.? These are all factors the Realtor will need to know prior to helping you. Some coop Boards will need to interview the dog if it is a large breed. Call a Realtor.
Web Reference: http://www.gayrosen.com
Sorry, I should mention that there are about 30 reviews in that group - so its worth the time and energy.
There are surprisingly few condos and coops that allow dogs. However, I have reviews of several coops and condos on my blog site that are specifically about pet-friendly real estate. To be reviewed, they have to allow dogs.

Below is the link to my blog site. Look under "Tags" on the right side-bar - a looong list will pop up. Scroll down to "pet-friendly condos" and "pet-friendly coops." There you will find blogs on quite a few pet-friendly complexes. What you will find are pictures as well as general information about the complex including cost of living. The prices were BEFORE the crash so interest rates were higher and mortgage rates were also higher...so these are less expensive now. Hope this helps.
I have been getting many requests from buyers looking for pet friendly coops in Westchester. So I did a little homework in the Westchester MLS and came up with this list. Some of these buildings take all pets, some take restricted weight, some take only cats or smaller animals. You must contact the management company to get the real scoop. Some are very strict about their pet policy and others...well just just say they have poor vision.

AskRey.net has not verified these listings, therefore as a caring guardian, please undertake full research and verify information posted before entering into any agreement. If you would like full listings of coops or condos that are currently available for sale in these buildings... AskRey.

Complex Location
Bronxville Ridge Bronx River Rd, Bronxville NY 10708
Kensington Bronxville Rd, Bronxville NY 10708
Bronxville Court Bronxville Rd, Bronxville NY 10708
Bronxville Gardens Louisiana Ave, Bronxville NY 10708
Haddon Hall Parkview Ave, Bronxville NY 10708

Mayflower Gardens Collins Ave, Mount Vernon NY 10552
Grand Gardens Grand Street, Mount Vernon NY 10552
Esplanade Garden E Lincoln Ave, Mount Vernon NY 10552
Fleetwood Chateau N Terrace Ave, Mount Vernon NY10552
Park Lane Park Lane, Mount Vernon NY 10552
Melissa Court Williams Street, Mount Vernon NY 10552

Marina’s Edge Davenport Ave, New Rochelle NY 10805
Lofts at New Roc New Roc City Pl, New Rochelle NY 10801
Dorchester Palmer Ave, New Rochelle NY 10801
Whitewood Gardens Pelham Road, New Rochelle NY 10805
Pelhamdale Manor Robins Crescent, New Rochelle NY 10801

The Biltmore Boston Post Rd, Pelham NY 10803

Heathcote Court Wiltshire Road, Scarsdale NY 10583

Caryl Ave. Carlyle Ave, Yonkers NY 10705
Riveredge David Lane, Yonkers NY 10701
Gateway Gateway Rd, Yonkers NY 10703
Hilltop Acres Hilltop Acres, Yonkers NY 10704
Kimberly Gardens Midland Ave, Yonkers NY 10704
Emerald Court Palisade Ave, Yonkers NY 10703
Valentine Manor Riverdale Ave, Yonkers NY 10705
Sadore Lane Gardens Sadore Lane, Yonkers NY 10705

-Rey Hollingsworth Falu
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence
917-855-0277
Web Reference: http://www.AskRey.net