Quality of Life in Bayview>Question Details

Rainbow, Real Estate Pro in 94609

I'm thinking about moving into the city and was wondering about bay view. Is it safe to walk at night there?

Asked by Rainbow, 94609 Fri Jun 13, 2008

What are the different parts of this neighborhood like? Are there decent organic grocery stores there?

Answers

11
DataSF.org also might help.
Bayview has a bad reputation, but on the whole it is safer than downtown SF or the Mission. Most of the crime is confined to a very few specific blocks (looking at you, housing projects!). The rest of Bayview has lower crime than other active parts of the city.
When you walk there at night , someone else doesn't feel safe. Why?

Beucae no one feel safe there.
I"ve needed to travel to or through different parts on a half dozen occasions, and my subjective opinion is that overall, I would not want my wife or kids to walk there alone, day or night. I have also checked crime stats for Bayview, and they seemed to support my subjective sense. Sad to say, because undoubtedly most of the people there are wonderful folks. But the bad seeds seem to cause more trouble than I care to risk encountering by going there very often. Only my perception and opinion (I'm an ethnic minority, if that matters to understanding my viewpoint). Like others said, in the future, it may improve and be a good investment from that standpoint. Best of luck, rob.
Hi Rainbow,

You are still a few years out from there being organic grocery stores and it depends on if the plans to redevelop the Hunters Point/Bayview area are fully accepted. Basically, a big Miami developer was given initial approval to redevelop 770 acres of the Hunters Point shipyard. Of course, there is a lot of red tape to go through but if that happens then the area should blow up.
Web Reference: http://motelbrokersusa.com
Hi Rainbow,

This is such a subjective question. I have several thoughts. The good news is that a home in the Bayview can be as much as $100,000 less than a comparable home in another neighborhood. I have heard that whereas the rest of the City is 2/3 tenants, two out of three Bayview residents are homeowners. I would check out Bayview Heights and listen to Jed's advice.

As for the bad news--or why in my opinion--I wouldn't want to live there: 1) It is so far away. I like living in a neighborhood where I can walk to restaurants, shops and services, 2) They have the highest percentage by zip code of pit bulls in the City (so I wouldn't feel safe for my kitties), 3) I'm single and like to feel safe either walking or taking the bus home and 4) Would you advise me to live in East Oakland (zip code 94621 for example)?

You really need to check it out and decide for yourself but there are other "gritty" neighborhoods that have a lot more to offer than Bayview. Even across the freeway in the Portola is lot nicer and still relatively affordable.

I also think that commuting from North Oakland via BART is easier than driving 101.
Rainbow,
I don't think there are any decent organic grocery stores in the Bayview yet. The closest would probably be the Whole Foods on DeHaro on Potrero Hill.
There was an article in the Chron on the Bayview Community Garden that is growing organic veggies. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/31/…
Safety is a very relative feeling. How to put this. It's going to depend on you. I met a tall blond young woman at the clean and green summit two weeks ago that was working on a community grant and she lives in the Bayview and there is the 70 year old Italian woman that is written about in the article.
The different parts of the neighborhood - - the west side of Third is a little older homes and closer to Silver Terrace is nice. East of third, lots of single family homes and good values. The whole area is changing with Candelstick Point and Hunters Point being built up.
You can check the police sites and you can also read the article but the only way you will know how you feel is to go there and take a look. There are housing projects in the area that are pretty dilapidated and hoefully will be rebuilt. There are many people that have moved intot he area in the past 10 years that would be just like you.
Let us know what you think.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Hi Ranbow,

Go to http://www.sfgov.org and go to the police link. You can check crime stats that way. Then do drive and walk around at different times of the day/night/weekend.

Cheers,

Sally
Since each larger district has its own micro-neighborhoods, Nancy's advice to visit at different times of day is a good one. You can also check out the crime maps at http://www.sfgov.org/crimemaps at the link below. The best way to figure out if you'd want to live in a neighborhood is to hang out there!
The Bayview District of San Francisco has undergone dramatic changes over the past several years. The 3rd Street light rail project makes transportation to downtown a breeze. I sold a condominium in the Bayview to clients a couple of years ago and they love it. However, I believe that everyones comfort level is different. My suggestion would be to check out the neighborhood at different times during the day and night to see how comfortable you feel. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the grocery selection in the Bayview is the worst in the City. I believe you will have to travel to other areas for any produce at all. Hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://www.nancycorsaut.com
Hi Rainbow,

The best way to get information like this is to call the local Police Department and talk with them. They are usually filled with good information. It's on Williams, I believe.