Quality of Life in Dallas>Question Details

Charles, Other/Just Looking in 92346

I'm looking to relocate to the Dallas area from California within a year. I've looked at Cedar Hill, Frisco,

Asked by Charles, 92346 Mon Mar 23, 2009

Richardson, and Plano. Which area has the best school district for high school and elementry school? Also looking for best price for square foot considering REOs with 3700 sqft or more in areas holding their value. In-laws live in Lancaster, but I don't care to live that close.

Answers

7
Andrea Brooks’ answer
Charles,

Our real estate market in greater North Dallas (which generally encompasses the areas you mentioned) has remained very strong, yet there is a perception that banks are selling homes for pennies on the dollar here. Here’s the reality: homes that are in good condition and are priced at market value are selling quickly, regardless of ownership. There are REO properties that have been on the market for months, but these typically have major repair issues – i.e. structural/foundation, major mechanicals, and larger scale cosmetic repairs. If they aren’t in lendable condition the bank will price below market in order to attract a cash buyer. You can search for REO properties directly from my website at http://BrooksTeam.com

The Collin County Association of Realtors collects sales data and provides its members with a wealth of statistical information. I would be happy to send you information about which areas are appreciating the fastest in order to help you narrow your search further. Both Frisco and Plano have exceptionally good school districts and strong property values, in fact we chose to move our family here for that very reason. My website also has information about area schools and links to their sites.

I f you’d like to discuss your real estate needs further, you can email me at andrea.brooks@kw.com or call 469-450-1326. I would welcome the opportunity to earn your business!

Andrea Brooks
The Brooks Team, Keller Williams
469-450-1326
972-599-7000
Web Reference: http://BrooksTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 24, 2009
Hey Charles,

We welcome you in your pending move to the Big D, from the left coast! I have some great agent friends out there if you also need to sell in California? I'd be happy to give ya a few names, depending on were you are.
An education consultant and friends of mine have raved about one of the area's you mentioned, they say the schools are so wonderful there, and their TAKS scores all back it up! I'd be happy to share that information with ya! Give me a call, I am as you probably know, 2 hours behind you in CST. Nicole, 214-991-9507
Hi Charles,

I too am a California transplant. Moving to Texas in 2005 we too felt overwhelmed with choices. Every area has its own feel. There are pockets that are very "country" and others that are very metropolitan. Starting out we knew we needed to be within an hour commute of the airport and then branched out from there. If you will be commuting to work that is a good jumping off point. If not, then plan on putting some drive time in so you can go get a feel for the different areas. Then you need to identify what else is important to you in a community. For my husband, he wanted to be able to shout from the roof top and have no one hear him. For me, I wanted a Starbuck's within walking distance. Finding the happy medium between the two is the tricky part. When meeting clients for the first time in your situation, an initial consultation is key. We sit down over coffee and spend an hour or so just discussing everything that is important to you. This goes way beyond "I'm looking for a 3 bed 2 bath home with a yard." Its the little things that add up to the big picture. You are not only buying a house, you are buying a community, so its important to assess what is important to you in that area. If after chatting, what you are looking for falls within my service area, then we will start looking together. If not, then I will gladly put you in contact with an agent who is specializes in the area you want to move to. As a former teacher, education was very important to me too. Texas schools have a rating system similar to those used in CA. These are based primarily on the TAKS test, however, and many in education, myself included, believe this is only one of many indicators that should be used when judging a school system. I used the accountability reports, then looked up other important information: demographics, number of title 1 students, student to teacher ratios, etc. all of this info. can be found at the website below.
Hope this information helps. Don't hesitate to give me a call or shoot me an email if you'd like to discuss further. Renee 940-453-7754 reneegraver@judgefite.com
Web Reference: http://www.tea.state.tx.us
Charles.....lots of competing information in your statement. Best schools may not equal best price per square foot. Areas with lots of REOs may not be areas holding their value. If they were holding value they probably wouldn't be REOs.....does that make sense? On the South side Red Oak and Mansfield might be good options. On the north side Foreny, Allen, Frisco, McKinney also might be good options. It will also depend on your price range and perhaps were you work if you care about commute?
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I would say look into the Areas east of Dallas. Forney, Rockwall, Sunnyale etc. These areas are very close to Dallas by Highway and in their own rights are great places to live with good school districts and the area definitely has the kind of properties you are describing. Forney especially is a great town that has seen alot of growth but they have planned it quite well. It is about 14k people and has only about 60 apt units in the whole city the majority of the town is 3 and 4 br homes. There are a few nice developments with houses like you described at very reasonable prices that will have just as good of chance of holding there value as anywhere in the DFW metroplex. if you would like me to send you personal searches of these areas please let me know. I have helped a handful of families relocate and my knowledge of the DFW area of a whole is a great asset. Plus my lack of a large name broker allows me to rebate 20% of my commission to you after close.

thanks for your time
RJ
Web Reference: http://www.findapadfast.com
Hello Charles,

I'm not a realtor and Haima is correct that there are a lot of good deals in the Frisco area but have you considered the Rockwall area? They too have good schools and homes, from what I have heard, have faired well in value. There are many very nice communities there and also many good bargains have popped up there.

If I can be of assistance in any way please don't hesitate to contact me.

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
http://www.psinspection.com
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
Web Reference: http://www.psinspection.com
From all the cities you mentioned, Frisco would fit the bill. There are many foreclosures on the market at great prices. The schools are awesome. Most elementary schools have exemplary status and there are 2 new high schools opening this year.

I will be happy to send you a list of available homes. Feel free to contact me directly.

Naima
214-289-8555
Naima@Sumner-Realty.com