Quality of Life in Houston>Question Details

Tatanisha1890, Renter in Normal, IL

I'm looking to relocate to Houston in a few months, May to be exact.How much time in advance would you suggest looking to lease an apartment?

Asked by Tatanisha1890, Normal, IL Tue Dec 11, 2012

Answers

8
The Houston rental market is very active, and the more desirable places go quickly. I know this doesn't help much ... but the sooner, the better. I've worked with many new Houstonians, and would welcome the opportunity to acquaint you with this incredibly diverse city. Please get in touch, so that we may establish some criteria and narrow the field. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 11, 2012
Please drop me an e-mail ... al@geffon.net ... so we may further discuss your impending relocation. To be frank, your price point is at the low end of the spectrum ... but depending upon where you find a job, it's possible. One thing to remember ... Houston does not have the network of public transportation found in Chicago ... we're getting there, but our light rail system is still under construction ... literally. Commuter vehicular traffic here is a nightmare ... our infrastructure is essentially a freshman civil engineering project gone bad ... we've just grown too quickly to keep up. Let me know what type of work you're seeking ... that will be a big help. Looking forward to hearing back from you ...

Al
Flag Fri Dec 14, 2012
Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the speedy response Al. I'm very excited about the move and would be more than happy for you to show me around. I'll actually be visiting in March and am in hopes of seeing some available spaces or some that will be available in May. As far as criteria goes my price range is between $400-800 a month. I would like a pet friendly apartment but if not this is not a deal breaker. I would like to be in a diverse area, near a highway if possible.
Thanks in advance,
Tatanisha
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
You may want to look for developments that will be completed by the time you get here, sometimes they offer discounted rates to the first tenants.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 11, 2012
It is not too soon to start looking. Send me an email, giving me your criteria, to include the type of property you are looking for and the areas you are interested in and I will send information. My email address is lestine@sbcglobal.net. My cell phone number is (713) 854-1638. I look forward to working with you in locating a suitable property. Lestine Lakes, Realtor-Associate, Coleman & Co. Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
Tatanisha

Now would be a good time to start looking for a Realtor. Believe it or not Realtors work with clients to find an apartment as well as single family housing.
Having someone to talk to during the process helps, if you are not familiar with Houston there will be many questions you will need answers to so hire a professional to make the process just that much easier.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Depending on how picky or if you know exactly the area and what you are looking for, I would give yourself at least 90 days. The loans are taking 45-60 days alone
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Tatanisha time is on your side and if you are only looking for May, then you are very early, probably in this case an apartment complex would be the best. Give me an idea of your area and I will steer you in the right direction.
That would be greatly appreciated, my budget is $800/month at most and I'm looking for a nice space in a metropolitan area, maybe on the West side somewhere.
Flag Thu Dec 13, 2012
Hello Tatanisha,

Moving in May gives you a good time to find out more about the areas that you would potentially like to live in. Where will you be working and what is important to you to have where you will reside? Apartments generally have an idea a couple of months in advance since folks who move out are required to give notice. Pets, budget, commute, etc. will define what is best for you, so having an idea ahead of time will give you a leverage when you move here.

If you are interested in renting a home/townhome, it helps to look into that early on, as well. Generally these become available on the market a month or earlier before the lease expires.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
I know very little about specific areas in Houston, I am from Chicago and will be graduating in May. I want to take this time to experience a new city and I've spent some time in the south and love it. Houston from what I've heard and read has a great economy and jobs, two things that Chicago are lacking now, not to mention the cost of living in Chicago isn't appealing to me being a recent grad soon. I do know that I'd like to possibly be in a mixed or urban area that isn't too far from highways, a shopping area, etc.
Flag Thu Dec 13, 2012
Tatanisha, I will be glad to keep in touch. The range you have allowed yourself is good, however, it will all depend on where you are planning to reside. You can keep a few places in mind when you visit in March and then review your options once you get offers. What makes you decide to move to Houston?
Flag Wed Dec 12, 2012
Hi Persis, thanks so much for your speedy response! I'm very excited about the move, I will be fresh out of college and have yet to land a job after graduation, but I still have a few months to do so. I hope to find something between $400-900 a month and will allow small dogs. I hope to adopt a yorkie upon moving there. I will be visiting in March to take a look see at some places. Do you think we could keep in contact so you can show me some things?
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
It's definitely not too early to pinpoint an area of town you'd like to live in (be sure to choose a location close to any major roads you may need to take for your commute [if you'll have one] - this makes a huge difference in Houston traffic) and start looking at apartments you like. The specific apartment complexes can keep an eye on floor plans you like and let you know when one is available (and may be able to estimate when one will become available), as well as keep you in the loop of any promotions they are running so you can get the best deal.

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance! You'll love Houston!

The Loken Group
info@TheLokenGroup.com
281- 861- 4624