Josh,  in Great Falls, MT

I just traveled through Livingston. It's really beautiful down there. How is life there?

Asked by Josh, Great Falls, MT Wed Sep 12, 2007

Answers

2
Hi Josh,
I've lived in Livingston since 1992. As time goes by, it's getting more and more gentrified, but it's still pretty rough and tumble -- as it was when Calamity Jane hung out here over 100 years ago! Its population of around 7500 people is made up of a very eclectic mix of characters: writers, cowboys, artists, actors, fisherman, hunters, hikers, skiiers, railroad workers, foreigners, National Park Employees, Blue Chip CEOs and EVPs, poor working class, as well as doctors, lawyers, teachers, goverment workers, etc. Most people "in town" live here full-time, while the outlying areas are made up of part-time residents who spend anywhere from 3-9 months here/year. The Yellowstone River, Absaroka Wilderness area, the breathtaking scenery, and Yellowstone National Park make up the foundation of our lifestyle which tends to cherish the rugged individualist, non-conformist. Yet there are churches on almost every corner and lots of people move here so their kids can grow up experiencing the epitome of traditional small town Americana.

It's hard to make a living here. People who come here without a job last an average of 5 years before packing it in and moving back where they came from -- either they can't find a good job or the wages are sooo much lower. The good scenery will only sustain you for so long. There was a statistic about Bozeman a few years ago that said over 50% of the people buying homes here don't work -- they have trust funds, are independently wealthy, or have retirement income. Self employed individuas tend to make it using just the minimum of business fundamentals: show up and do what you say you're going to do.

What else would you like to know?

Jon Ellen Snyder
Broker Associate, CRS/GRI
ERA Landmark Western Land

email: jes@eralivingston.com
Web Reference: http://www.jonellen.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007
I think this sums it up quite well. I would not recommend moving to Livingston without a job. I would recommend moving to Livingston for the wonderful and diverse community that it is.
Flag Thu Oct 17, 2013
Livingston in a wonderful area to live! It is absolutely beautiful and has great local activates. Livingston has year round access to Yellowstone Park, and it is only 20 minutes away from Bozeman! I have attached a great local site that give valuable information on the area, and a site that has homes for sale. If you would like a relocation package contact me and I will send one to you.

Warm Regards,

Jen Owens
ERA Landmark
406-209-0022
Jenifer@eralandmark.com
http://www.sellingbozemanmt.com