Quality of Life in Oceanside>Question Details

Eva Radke, Home Buyer in 11217

I have lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn since I have lived in New York. My husband wants to move to

Asked by Eva Radke, 11217 Sat Feb 23, 2008

Oceanside, NY with our 2 year old boy. I'm wondering if there has been any sort of influx of Manhattanites to Oceanside. Will I be bored? Will my toddler have interesting forward-thinking classes to attend? Is Ocean side hip?

Answers

5
Is’ answer
Here is a non "real estate professional: answer. My brother has lived in Oceanside since 1994, I am looking to buy there as well. Oceanside is a great, child-friendly community of about 33,000 people, lots of families and couples. Excellent schools from elementary to high, close to Long Beach and about 45 minute ride into Penn Station in the city and about half an hour, 45 minute drive from Brooklyn if you care about that part. The community is predominantly white, many of the families are Jewish and Italian. Lots of activities for kids both at local houses of worship, and also those run by the town's department of community activities. In terms of Oceanside itself being hip-it does have nice restaurants but the nearby town of Rockville Centre has quite a night scene from what I heard, it's really close by, think of West Village and East Village in the cit y in terms of the proximity. All streets in Oceanside are walkable which often is not a case for most of the suburbs-I have seen places in NJ where there is a front lawn and the road with cars, no place for people to walk on! They also have lots of good stores-Trader Joe's for gourmet food at good prices, GAP, Jones NY, Ann Taylor. I also think the town is very safe-my nephews have been walking to school alone since the middle school, I see 8 year old kids on the streets riding their bikes by themselves.
Oceanside is divided into several areas, all of them are good, it's just some streets have a more open feel to them while some are more private and some areas are within walking distance to the LIRR while from some areas you have to drive. The areas close to LIRR are Ocean Lea and Ocean Harbor and parts of Terrell. Terrell looks a bit more industrial, Ocean Lea is my favorite, open streets, lots of families, close to LIRR and shopping but not loud at all. Then, there is Oceanside Prope which are a few streets between two busy streets-Oceanside Road and Long Beach Road, realtors don't consider this area "prestigious" but people do live there, it's absolutely as safe as others. Some parts of the Prope are also within walking distance to LIRR. Non-walking distance to LIRR, there are Estates and Wedgewood areas which are close to the golf course, I personally think it's too quiet although some people like the privacy. The Madison area is to the very south of the town with many homes on the waterfront, very nice area, large homes, most over 2000 sq feet. Terrace/Derby is area close to Rockville Centre and Baldwin, homes happen to be older, mostly small capes or large colonials.
One important thing I am looking for in Oceanside with today's oil prices is whether a home has gas for heat or an outside gas line so I could switch-some areas of Oceanside don't have outside gas.
If you need any other info, email me
babysladkaya@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 2, 2008
I know this question was asked quite some time ago. I bought a waterfront home in Ocean Harbor some time ago for pretty much the same reasons you are now considering; with children in mind. My most important buying reason was the excellent school system which rates very highly on Long Island. The area is extremely safe and offers many healthy outlets for a young child many which are water related. Rockville Centre is where you will go to dine and shop with 53 restaurants many of which are very good. There has not been an influx of Manhattanites and not sure i would say it is "hip" but the quality of life is very good and that's the suburban tradeoff. If you are a true New Yorker you won't have a problem with a 45 minute RR ride to the city.
My house is currently for sale and is perfect for a young family. Feel free to contact me. Richard
Oceanside is a great town. Fortunately for you the property taxes in Oceanside are a lot more reasonable than in other areas on the South Shore of Long Island. You also have close and easy access to the beaches. It is a great central South Shore location.

If you visit my website you can find out neighborhood and school information that might help answer some of your questions.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.
Eva, You may also want to check out the Oceanside info and links to area agents on Prudential Douglas Elliman's website: http://www.prudentialelliman.com/MainSite/Neighborhoods/Neig… Gerry
I refer you to http://www.oceansidenewyork.com/ which is a nice website about Oceanside. If you go to http://www.greatschools.net/schools.page?district=465&state=NY you will learn about Oceanside schools.

If you need a really good Realtor to assist you in Oceanside or anywhere in Long Island, please contact me offline and I will be happy to refer you.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com