Quality of Life in Fairfield>Question Details

Jackie Jones, Other/Just Looking in Fairfield, CA

I have been in an apartment since Feb 08. It is now June 08 and I have had to call the police at least 5

Asked by Jackie Jones, Fairfield, CA Sun Jun 8, 2008

times due to loud neighbors. I have now had to call the police since I have a person banging on my door yelling and swearing. Can I break my lease since I fear for my safety and my daughters.

Answers

2
Read your lease. There's often language in there about what the landlord must provide. Is the landlord providing what he is obligated to?

If you're not sure, or if you think the landlord may be violating the lease, then go to a real estate lawyer. Or contact your local city government and ask for "landlord tenant assistance." That should point you in the right direction for someone to talk to who can advice you on what your options are.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 8, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Why are you calling the police for noise complaints? You are living in an apartment and there are certain things that go with living in an apartment; such as loud neighbors. I currently live in an apartment and accept the fact that there are others living in close proximity so it is normal to hear everything. Yes, it is really annoying and irritaing and you would hope that others would be respectful of your noise tolerance; but again it is an apartment and it is alright for others to live they way they do. Instead of calling the police, try talking to the offending neighbors first. The police have more important things to do than to take noise complaints. If you do feel unsafe in your apaprtment, your landlord should be able to make exceptions. I hope that everything works out, but please understand that apartments are never going to be quiet.