Question Details

Perlene Herr…, Other/Just Looking in Lenoir County, NC

I have a friend who is disable to work, but has not been approved for disability. She has recently been

Asked by Perlene Herring, Lenoir County, NC Tue Apr 15, 2008

approve for section 8, but was told that she could only recieve her rent for free for 6 months.At the end of the 6 months she would have to pay. What if she still has not been approved for disability, will she have to move out?

Answers

3
When I applied for social security disability it took two years to get approved. Usually they deny you the first two times,but once I got a court date I was approved right away, in a matter of minutes by the judge.I was told it would take that long when I applied.You can check with your state senator's office,they can file paperwork letting disabiliy know they're watching your case too.I believe that's where I found the info on how long the wait to get approved. Main thing don't give up.Good luck.
My sister has applied for disability and her social securtiy counselor has been very available to answer her questions and guide her here in Texas. She was told it could take 160 days for answer but that is usually earlier than that. In the meantime she applied for unemployment benefits which last 1 year on her work record and is helping with her rent. You may want to contact other government agencies that assist persons with disabilities. God Bless.
Perlene,
That is a grey area of the governement. There rules and guidelines. She can appeal but if I may ask what is the hold up on the disability? Is she going thru social security? Check the timetable on the disability and then you can know if it will be longer then 6 months if so you should be able to appeal for more time.

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad